Gunco Forums banner

new rifle!

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  upgrayedd 
#1 ·
I just had a friend build me a custom AR and will post pics after work tonight . Need some help understanding duracoat and gun finishes in general. I had this rifle finished I. Flat dark earth duracoat, have not yet fired it, however the paint seems REALLY REALLY fragile and weak. Is there a better paint alternative or are all paints fragile
Pics to come

#10 ·
I'm with 555th. Salbo pointed me in that direction years ago -- just did a Yugo with their blueing finish. Looks like it came out of the tanks.

KG can be fixed prior to baking, makes it easy to work with.

#4 ·
from what i understand the prep work is critical with any of those types of finishes.

i do not have enough experience with them to give you much advice.

i did use some of the bake on to do small parts and so far the finish seems very hard.

the main reason i don't do more is the finish is pretty expensive and i am one of those that don't mind too much a worn looking shooting iron.

i may do some ar stuff one day--probably colt gray--

#5 ·
:brows: I enjoy Krylon :brows:

In my experience Duracoat is hit or miss. Looking forward to the pic though... I love AR's.

#12 ·
One thing when painting aluminum ,, your going to want to use an etching primer of some type if you ever want it to stick right,,, or at all. What ever the paint is you use. You can use the multiple steps with the acid itself, or just use a Sickens or the Dupont "Veri Prime" ,both are 2 part acid etching primers,, they both work awesome,,WEAR GLOVES AND A RESPIRATOR,, for sure !!!!

No Joke!! That shit is brutal on your hide and lungs,,,,duh,,,, IT ETCHES METAL !!!!

It's 50% acid, either hydrochloric or phosphoric acid if I remember right???? Don't recall which. At any rate be careful with it, even when you scotchbrite it for final painting, the dust will still bother you, even after it's dried. Nasty stuff, but it really works.

Had lots of experience using that stuff doing resto's and repairs on Ferrari's and Lambo's,, and it really works well and holds like crazy, that shit won't flake off on ya.

Guaranteed,,

#13 ·
When I used Duracoat on my AMD-65 build, I put every little piece into a blasting box and used glass beads to take off the original finish. I then degreased everything before I even mixed the stuff. I then put on latex gloves and rigged up hanging wire on all the pieces. After two coats, I hung them in the garage and let cure for two days. It seems pretty tough, only a few spots had any wear, such as the safety selector. If you have access to a sand blasting booth, that is a great way to prep the metal. Do not touch bare metal with you hands unless you are wearing some new latex gloves. Skin oils will inhibit the chemicals from adhering properly to the metal. I'd probably have the aluminum powder coated or anodized. An anodized AR-15 would look really neat depending on the color you use.

#14 ·
I saw a AR platform that had been anodized(??) to a iridescent color at the last fun show. It was very different with no particular color pallet, it changed colors like a "color shifter/flip flop pearl " type paint does or kinda like a Starling's head that has different hues to it. Very unique! It kinda shifted from blue/black to a purple iridescence,, pretty cool,,,

It was defiantly different looking. I still can't decide if I liked it or not, but it was sure an eye catcher. Not only by the color, but the gun itself was really sweat!! It was defiantly set up as a target gun with all the target type ,,bells and whistles. On that particular one it looked pretty good IMO, for a regular one not set up that way ,,,,I'm not sure if I'd like it as much though. But for something "flashy/ tricked out",, the color fit it well.

It's the first time I'd ever seen anything like that before other than on a Charter Arms pistol, with most I've seen being the normal black or other earth tone colors along with the occasional "custom " finishes occasionally being found.

Does anybody have an idea what process was used to get that type of finish? The shop owner that had it for sale didn't have any idea how it was done, nor do I. I'm sure it's a type of anodizing process, but I don't really know.

Any ideas how it was done? It's a new one on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.