Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new rifle!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    from what i understand the prep work is critical with any of those types of finishes.

i do not have enough experience with them to give you much advice.

i did use some of the bake on to do small parts and so far the finish seems very hard.

the main reason i don't do more is the finish is pretty expensive and i am one of those that don't mind too much a worn looking shooting iron.

i may do some ar stuff one day--probably colt gray--
    YUP! 427 is right! Prep is everything! Dress up like a brain surgeon, and maintain a sterile zone around your work. Really not kidding here.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

One thing when painting aluminum ,, your going to want to use an etching primer of some type if you ever want it to stick right,,, or at all. What ever the paint is you use. You can use the multiple steps with the acid itself, or just use a Sickens or the Dupont "Veri Prime" ,both are 2 part acid etching primers,, they both work awesome,,WEAR GLOVES AND A RESPIRATOR,, for sure !!!!

No Joke!! That shit is brutal on your hide and lungs,,,,duh,,,, IT ETCHES METAL !!!!

It's 50% acid, either hydrochloric or phosphoric acid if I remember right???? Don't recall which. At any rate be careful with it, even when you scotchbrite it for final painting, the dust will still bother you, even after it's dried. Nasty stuff, but it really works.

Had lots of experience using that stuff doing resto's and repairs on Ferrari's and Lambo's,, and it really works well and holds like crazy, that shit won't flake off on ya.

Guaranteed,,

Feedback Score

When I used Duracoat on my AMD-65 build, I put every little piece into a blasting box and used glass beads to take off the original finish. I then degreased everything before I even mixed the stuff. I then put on latex gloves and rigged up hanging wire on all the pieces. After two coats, I hung them in the garage and let cure for two days. It seems pretty tough, only a few spots had any wear, such as the safety selector. If you have access to a sand blasting booth, that is a great way to prep the metal. Do not touch bare metal with you hands unless you are wearing some new latex gloves. Skin oils will inhibit the chemicals from adhering properly to the metal. I'd probably have the aluminum powder coated or anodized. An anodized AR-15 would look really neat depending on the color you use.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I saw a AR platform that had been anodized(??) to a iridescent color at the last fun show. It was very different with no particular color pallet, it changed colors like a "color shifter/flip flop pearl " type paint does or kinda like a Starling's head that has different hues to it. Very unique! It kinda shifted from blue/black to a purple iridescence,, pretty cool,,,

It was defiantly different looking. I still can't decide if I liked it or not, but it was sure an eye catcher. Not only by the color, but the gun itself was really sweat!! It was defiantly set up as a target gun with all the target type ,,bells and whistles. On that particular one it looked pretty good IMO, for a regular one not set up that way ,,,,I'm not sure if I'd like it as much though. But for something "flashy/ tricked out",, the color fit it well.

It's the first time I'd ever seen anything like that before other than on a Charter Arms pistol, with most I've seen being the normal black or other earth tone colors along with the occasional "custom " finishes occasionally being found.

Does anybody have an idea what process was used to get that type of finish? The shop owner that had it for sale didn't have any idea how it was done, nor do I. I'm sure it's a type of anodizing process, but I don't really know.

Any ideas how it was done? It's a new one on me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hell, just swab it down with some Birchwood Casey Cold Blue, yukedy, yuk!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sorry for the low qual pics, but here it is. I have a few things that I will change (butt stock, grip and foregrip) to begin, but wanna put it thru the paces before I make too many changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new rifle!-imag0002.jpg  

new rifle!-imag0003.jpg  

new rifle!-imag0004.jpg  

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i have been hearing good things about that n3 finish product --it is supposed to double as a lubricant as well.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Sorry for the low qual pics, but here it is. I have a few things that I will change (butt stock, grip and foregrip) to begin, but wanna put it thru the paces before I make too many changes.

Nice Work! Especially for a Lefty! Kidding...

That is really nice looking. What brand / Type forend is that, and is it free float?

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Nice Work! Especially for a Lefty! Kidding...

That is really nice looking. What brand / Type forend is that, and is it free float?

Regards,
    Thanks, Bro. "free float"? dunno, explain.

smitty at Quantico built it for me outta new colt upper and Superior lower rec. Has mostly Yankee Hill accessories on it, but I wanna change it up. I requested Flat dark earth apint, but am quickly realizing that a painted rifle take a bit more abuse than the non-painted variants. Have some MagPul grips, etc on order to tune it up.
    I got it for a song, so I cant really complain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.