Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U.N. approves global arms trade treaty

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default U.N. approves global arms trade treaty

U.N. approves first-ever global arms trade treaty

UNITED NATIONS — The 193-nation U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly approved on Tuesday the first-ever treaty on global arms trade that seeks to regulate the $70 billion international business in conventional arms ranging from light weapons to battle tanks and warships.

There were 154 votes in favor, 3 against and 23 abstentions.

Iran, Syria and North Korea last week prevented a treaty-drafting conference at U.N. headquarters from reaching the required consensus to adopt the treaty. That left delegations that support it no choice but to turn to a General Assembly vote to adopt it.

The treaty will be open for signature June 3 and will enter into force 90 days after the 50th signatory ratifies it.

Major arms producers China and Russia joined Cuba, Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua and other countries in abstaining. A number of countries complained that the treaty favors exporting over importing states.

The United States, the world's No. 1 arms exporter, said last week it would vote in favor of the treaty despite opposition from the National Rifle Association, a powerful U.S. pro-gun lobbying group.

The NRA opposes the treaty and has vowed to fight to prevent its ratification by the U.S. Senate when it reaches Washington. The NRA says the treaty would undermine domestic gun-ownership rights, a view the U.S. government rejects.

Syrian U.N. Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari repeated that his government opposes the arms trade treaty because it does not ban the sale of weapons to non-state actors and "terrorists" like the ones active in Syria, where a two-year-old civil war has claimed at least 70,000 lives, according to U.N. estimates.

Syria routinely refers to rebels trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad as "terrorists" supported by foreign governments.

(Reporting By Louis Charbonneau; Editing by Philip Barbara)
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Oh imagine that the United Nations approving a treaty that will do nothing to promote peace in the world. That came out of left field.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Firearms Accumulator Carbine Coyote's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

So, that's why my local radio station has been running an audio test pattern in place of Tom Gresham's Gun Talk each Sunday afternoon for over a month.

Last edited by Carbine Coyote; 04-02-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: more awesomeness

Feedback Score

Well I'm at it again. My newest letter to my Reps and Senators:

We the people permit the government to have firearms not the other way around. The United Nations is again proposing a treaty that will do nothing to keep the evil people of the world from carrying out vile deeds against the innocent. The right to "Keep and bear arms" is a human right falling inline with our rights to defend ourselves. These rights are given by a higher authority and are not granted nor can they be carved up by temporarily elected officials. Especially elected officials who swore an oath to uphold and defend the very document which these human rights have been enshrined in.

We do not need the global community to pass laws in our borders. That is why we hired you. If a law is desired in this country there is a very well known process of checks and balances that it must go through. Attempting to bypass much of this process by submitting to a global treaty shows lack of leadership and distrust in a process you ran for office to be a part of.

Please do not support this. Let the global community pass their own laws targeting violence. It will most likely be much more effective then us doing it for them or the other way around, them for us.

Sincerely,
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

and i bet iran, russia, china, north korea, and all the stans LOVE the treaty as they will step in and grab all those sales the west walked out on--LOL

i don't know how dumb you have to be to think this might work in any way other than helping those with outlaw and war on their minds--

now the US tax-paying citizen he is going to get the brunt of it again.

it is going to get real interesting when the UN on obammas orders pulls over a ship full of china weapons, considering they hold all our debt these days.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Here comes the blue helmets........
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

an excuse for the left , progressives, to crab our guns, to impose foreign law

on us citizens, to do away with our constitution,THE U.N IS IN FAVOR OF SHARIA LAW, IS IN FAVOR OF STATES AS NORTH KOREA CHINA SOVIET UNION,
    (PUTINS RUSSIA) IF THE POPULATION IS DISARMED MAKES EASY DICTATORS
    TO RULE,

THE RADICAL LEFT HAS IMPOSED THERE VIEW ON AMERICA, THE NANNY STATE
    OBAMAS HAS BEEN CAMPAIGNING TO HAVE NANCY PELOSI BACK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RULE
    CONGRESS , THIRD TERM OBAMA,

AS WE SEE NO GUN ARMY SURPLUS ,WE DOES THE DEPT OF HOMELAND SECURITY HAVE TO BUY UP ALL THE BULLETS,GUNS ARE USELESS WITH OUT BULLETS.......I PRAY I AM WRONG.......................

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Well all I can say is;
    Quit smoking, drink less, eat smaller portions and start exercising (if you do this already, get in a little more).
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Here comes the blue helmets........
    Hahaha!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Well all I can say is;
    Quit smoking, drink less, eat smaller portions and start exercising (if you do this already, get in a little more).

That's DEFINITELY what I need to be working on, more than anything else.

My wife and I use blue helmet targets for practice. LOL. Has that nice crosshair pattern on the side. Makes it real easy for quick target aquisition.

Seriously though, I wonder what, if any, impact this will ultimately have on us???? I know it supposedly means nothing if our reps don't ratify it, but is there any kind of wording in it that will somehow force this on the American gun owners, even without ratification???
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.