Thread: Senators work on deal expanding background checks

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Senators work on deal expanding background checks

Senators work on deal expanding background checks
    ALAN FRAM, AP 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) Talks between two influential senators have emerged as the most promising route for a bipartisan breakthrough on expanding federal background checks for gun buyers, a pivotal part of President Barack Obama's plan for combating gun violence.

One possibility being discussed by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W. Va., and Pat Toomey, R-Pa., would involve expanding background checks to gun show sales and firearms transactions online, Senate aides said. Sales between close relatives and temporary transfers between hunters may be excluded, but an agreement along those lines could give Obama's guns agenda a significant boost and would be a major expansion of the current system, which covers only sales handled by federally licensed gun dealers.

The agreement remains a work in progress and could change, said Senate aides who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe private talks.

But because of their credentials, an accord between the two lawmakers could make it easier for gun control advocates to win crucial support from wavering moderate Democrats and from GOP senators, who have largely opposed much of Obama's push on guns.

Manchin is a moderate and Toomey is a conservative, and both senators have received A ratings from the National Rifle Association, which has opposed the major parts of Obama's plan, including his call for nearly universal background checks.

Senators return Monday from a two-week spring recess, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has been hoping to begin debate on Democrats' gun legislation Tuesday. That could be delayed if Manchin and Toomey seem close to an agreement but need more time to complete one.

Obama planned to speak at the University of Hartford in Connecticut on Monday to continue trying to pressure Congress to move ahead on gun control legislation.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Hate to say this, but I am now only hoping that they pass something that doesn't do anything because the laws are already in place. Like FFL transfers for online purchases.

Or making straw buying illegal (believe it-they are talking about this right now)...

If that is what I am down to being okay with, then we're in pretty sad shape...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sovblocgunfan View Post
    Hate to say this, but I am now only hoping that they pass something that doesn't do anything because the laws are already in place. Like FFL transfers for online purchases.

Or making straw buying illegal (believe it-they are talking about this right now)...

If that is what I am down to being okay with, then we're in pretty sad shape...

straw buying is illegal all ready! what they want to do is ban all secondary transfers.

like if you want to give a firearm as a gift to your son.

open sales --like if you sell one to your co-worker or pal at deer camp.

i don't see how this is going to affect crime much . and few of the "mass shooting" types obtained the firearms in the legal way to start with.

and on top of that i'm sure the drug cartels are going to be quaking in the ir boots over a "background check" --

they are probably laughing right now " little gringo police gonna charge me with ANOTHER felony!--LOL!"

i am sure after murdering many people that little technical violation carries a lot of weight--LOL

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    straw buying is illegal all ready! what they want to do is ban all secondary transfers.

like if you want to give a firearm as a gift to your son.

open sales --like if you sell one to your co-worker or pal at deer camp.

i don't see how this is going to affect crime much . and few of the "mass shooting" types obtained the firearms in the legal way to start with.

and on top of that i'm sure the drug cartels are going to be quaking in the ir boots over a "background check" --

they are probably laughing right now " little gringo police gonna charge me with ANOTHER felony!--LOL!"

i am sure after murdering many people that little technical violation carries a lot of weight--LOL
    Yeah, that's the point! Here's the bill where they reference straw buying:
    Full Text of S. 54: Stop Illegal Trafficking in Firearms Act of 2013 - GovTrack.us

There are exceptions made in the bill for gifts and in-family transfers but it does nothing that isn't on the books already. I have complained to both my senators but they don't get it.

None of these is going to affect crime much, but this is my point. What kinda shape are we in if we have to make the best out of a bad situation by saying that we are thankful that the bills they pass are stuff that's already illegal?

They will be able to use this to ban all secondary transfers, but, truth be told, they could probably make a claim to that now anyway and maybe even get away with it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

so if i buy a lower online i'll have to get background checked twice??--WTF?

gun buys online go through FFL background check on transfer now!

how MFing stupid is this bunch of ass-clowns?

somebody needs to "background check' the white house and some of these ass clowns in the house-- if you ask me.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

The commie Associated presss makes it sound like you can buy anything on the internet without an FFL transfer.

Why do they get away with lying on nearly every article they put out to the news outlets??

What am I missing & where is the accountability??
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

how MFing stupid is this bunch of ass-clowns?
    That's the way I see it too. There are laws already for what they are talking about.

Bradrock it's not just the AP, it's all of the media doing this, they are either idiots or they are trying to suck in the idiots to support them
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just sent three emails to my congress critters yesterday about this crap and other gun control bills.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.