Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Lost Art of the Handshake

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default The Lost Art of the Handshake

Where I grew up, it was normal to shake hands if you were being introduced to someone, or when closing a transaction. Every now and then you'd get some jerk who tried to break your hand, but that was an accepted hazard.

I'd noticed some years ago that shaking hands has pretty much gone away. I'd stick my hand out, and people would just stare, like I'd committed some horrendous social impropriety. And on the rare occasions when someone responds, they just sort of stick their hand out and flap it around, or they only shake with two fingers, like they're trying to minimize contact.

Like actually looking at someone when you're talking to them, I guess the handshake has fallen out of popular American culture.

I can let the handshake go, I guess, but I'm kind of an asshole about insisting clerks, waiters, and salespeople actually look at me before I'll deal with them. I've been thinking about carrying one of those little Freon boat horns in an old Leatherman holster to I can attract their attention. I don't care how they do it in the barrio or MTV, you LOOK at me when I'm talking to you, you little snot...

Feedback Score

Hey TRX, what climbed up your butt??
    Hunter
    (sorry I wasn't looking at you. I have to look at my keyboard :-)
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

The "staring everywhere but at you" bullsh*t when in fast food joints, convenience stores, etc.... chaps my @$$. Usually a black girl at the counter when it happens, although not exclusively.

I definitely like to shake hands when it's appropriate, the Leftists/Germophobes be damned.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

all very true . people dont hold doors open at stores anymore as much .

In Wisconsin its worse than in California. Maybe because the weather is worse.

I dont need to to touch every one but I will on meeting a new person when introduced, or during a bussiness transaction.

Im more worried on how to get out of a public rest room with out touching the door after I wash my hands LOL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

all very true . people dont hold doors open at stores anymore as much .

In Wisconsin its worse than in California. Maybe because the weather is worse.

I dont need to to touch every one but I will on meeting a new person when introduced, or during a bussiness transaction.

Im more worried on how to get out of a public rest room with out touching the door after I wash my hands LOL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

wtf I never posted twice above i got this

This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds

I moved from the thread an came back to doble posts Im getting the above message on all my replys .

Feedback Score

It's the "new" generation when girls look like boys and boys look and act like girls. Heck, nobody knows who to shake hands with or hold the door open for.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Heck..I don't want to shake most of these commies hand. But I by God look em in the eye!

Feedback Score

Default My Rant!

This post is what I love about Gunco. Un-adulterated truth's that REAL American's can speak on, and voice their beliefs on. Notice I said REAL Americans, that's one of the biggest problems right there. REAL Americans are few and far in between, and everyday are becoming more and more of the minority themselves due to our countries leadership (or lack there of).

Shaking hands, eye contact, waving back at your neighbor, teaching our children to respect people to their senior, patriotism, ENGLISH, etc....is all going to the wayside due to the ever diminishing population of REAL AMERICANS.

And no, I'm not having a bad day....I'm just a 29 year old man whom is sick of having to get dirty looks and rude behavior on a daily basis from people. I personally feel you see more of this behavior in the Hispanic races. Maybe its a mixture of shitty upbringing, and resentment towards Americans for having/being entitled to more (except Welfare). Its not our fault you had to move and start from scratch.....Someone should tell them that there lives would be better if they at least TRIED to assimilate into our culture. But nope, instead you get foreign flags being flown on OUR Independence Day, press 1 for English, catch an attitude because you can't order a McDouble en Espanol, and higher taxes to cover the billions of dollars that is being bilked from our economy by illegals who send every penny home to never touch our economy. And like I said, I see this attitude in all races and ethnicites. White trash is prevalent now more than ever....it just grinds me a little more when the person who is being "a little snot" or @sshole, has broken federal laws to be here but yet still is able to receive enough welfare to only have to work 15 hours a week.

Enough of my rant. My apologies if I offend anybody. I just love my country and see the things I love about it growing farther and farther away everyday. It's sad my 2 boys (5 and 9 months) will never know what this country is supposed to be like.
    Last edited by birdman8387; 04-25-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hell your Damn Lucky if you can even get someone to acknowledge that you are even there ,, because there to busy texting/tweeting , or what to fuck ever,,,Good Lord

Well TRX,,, guess your just showing your age now,,, you date back to the date of civility and respect for others. Shaking hands ain't what it used to be anyways,, what ya git now if your lucky is a limp wristed clumsy attempt at a handshake,,,then there put out by having to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.