Thread: City Won’t Enforce ‘Must Own’ Gun Ordinance

Feedback Score

Default City Won’t Enforce ‘Must Own’ Gun Ordinance

http://www.gunnews.com/city-wont-enf...gun-ordinance/

(GunNews.com) — The City of Nelson, Georgia has agreed to settle a Brady Center lawsuit against the City’s mandatory gun ownership ordinance.
    Under the settlement, which the City Council unanimously approved, the City will amend the ordinance to say that the gun ownership mandate cannot be enforced and that there will be no penalties for non-compliance.

The ordinance as originally enacted on April 1, 2013 required all heads of households in Nelson, with certain exceptions, to own a working firearm and ammunition.
    The Brady Center brought suit against the City on May 16, 2013 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, arguing that the ordinance violated the First, Second, and Fourteenth Amendments.

The suit was filed on behalf of a member of the Brady Center, who faced a $1,000 fine for non-compliance with the city rule.

Lamar Kellett, a Nelson resident and Brady Center member who opposed the ordinance, said, “I am glad an acceptable solution has been reached and feel that those Nelson residents that wish to keep home protection a private matter will be pleased with this outcome.”

The Nelson City Council voted 5-0 on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 to accept the settlement terms and add a clause to the Family Protection Ordinance, codified at Section 38-6, Chapter 38, Article I of the Code of the City of Nelson.

The amendment will say that the existing terms of ordinance “are not enforceable and shall never be enforced and no disability, penalty or adverse consequence shall attach to any violation thereof” because “the Constitution protects the rights of Americans to choose not to own or maintain a gun in their homes.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if you are in con compliance with the ruling you must be of mental defect? --that would be fair--LOL!

Feedback Score

Yet Kennesaw, Georgia is still going strong. Over a decade of annually decreasing crime rates due to their mandate to possess a firearm in every home. Not bad at all for a suburb of Atlanta.

Well, in the words of John Stuart Mill, "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

The putz that brought the suit should put a big sign on their house" safe to rob or home invade, danger of being shot here"
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmmm Im not sure I want to be forced to do any thing by the government even if it is own guns .

IMO some people should not have guns there to F%^&king stupid .

the law sends a good message tot he liberals however .

now it would be nice if we could get anti guns laws amended as there unenforceable also .

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I had an office in Kennesaw for over 10 years.

I always enjoyed the Police visit to check out the office gun!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.