Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My second hobby

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by renegadebuck View Post
    Nice bike, but the dog is king!
    I have to agree with you. Moses is my pal.
    HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Niiice! Whoever built it did a nice job.
    Yes, but to bad they didn't know more about installing a turbo. They never installed the waste gate and over boosted the motor. Now the head gasket is blown and the turbo is puking oil.
    I stripped off the turbo last night and sending it off to Mr. Turbo to be rebuilt and balanced. While it's gone, I'll install a new head gasket and hook up the waste gate the correct way.
    HART SYSTEMS
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The carbon seal on the turbo shaft is only a few bucks. A rebalance probably wouldn't hurt anyway.

Mr. Turbo had a spotty reputation back in the old days. At least according to a couple of project bikes in magazines, kits would show up missing various parts, and apparently instructions didn't come with the early kits. And who knows how many owners ago that was...

Make sure you check the head and block for flatness while the head is off, and give all of the head studs the hairy eyeball. Run some hex nuts all the way down the threads and make sure the studs haven't stretched at the top. The hot end is usually where they'll fail first.

One of the first things I did with my XJ650 Turbo was to wire the wastegate shut. The wastegate springs would get hot and lose their tension, and the boost would drop from the original 6 to less than 3. Not good, for a small-displacement, low-compression, heavy street bike. The factory came out with a "Power-Up Kit" that was supposed to fix the problem. It was just a restrictor washer in the wastegate pipe.

With the wastegate disabled, the boost would run up to 15PSI, which is there the popoff valve on the airbox was. Then there'd be a pause, and it would climb up to 18 to 20, depending on ambient temperature. The popoff valve was just too small to vent all the extra air.

I put about 30,000 miles on the bike that way, before a drug addict with a Buick took out the bike and left me with one leg shorter than the other. I transplanted the Seca Turbo engine into an XJ900 chassis and rode that until electrical problems finally made me give up on it. Then I picked up an already-built Suzuki Bandit drag bike, and rode that until arthritis made me hang up my helmet. I did an Iron Butt on the Bandit, which had flatslides and 13.5:1 compression... actually, it was a pussycat to ride. And despite the fancy motor, it wasn't as fast as the little 650 Yamaha. The guy who built it never believed me, though.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    The carbon seal on the turbo shaft is only a few bucks. A rebalance probably wouldn't hurt anyway.

Mr. Turbo had a spotty reputation back in the old days. At least according to a couple of project bikes in magazines, kits would show up missing various parts, and apparently instructions didn't come with the early kits. And who knows how many owners ago that was...

Make sure you check the head and block for flatness while the head is off, and give all of the head studs the hairy eyeball. Run some hex nuts all the way down the threads and make sure the studs haven't stretched at the top. The hot end is usually where they'll fail first.

One of the first things I did with my XJ650 Turbo was to wire the wastegate shut. The wastegate springs would get hot and lose their tension, and the boost would drop from the original 6 to less than 3. Not good, for a small-displacement, low-compression, heavy street bike. The factory came out with a "Power-Up Kit" that was supposed to fix the problem. It was just a restrictor washer in the wastegate pipe.

With the wastegate disabled, the boost would run up to 15PSI, which is there the popoff valve on the airbox was. Then there'd be a pause, and it would climb up to 18 to 20, depending on ambient temperature. The popoff valve was just too small to vent all the extra air.

I put about 30,000 miles on the bike that way, before a drug addict with a Buick took out the bike and left me with one leg shorter than the other. I transplanted the Seca Turbo engine into an XJ900 chassis and rode that until electrical problems finally made me give up on it. Then I picked up an already-built Suzuki Bandit drag bike, and rode that until arthritis made me hang up my helmet. I did an Iron Butt on the Bandit, which had flatslides and 13.5:1 compression... actually, it was a pussycat to ride. And despite the fancy motor, it wasn't as fast as the little 650 Yamaha. The guy who built it never believed me, though.
    Wow, someone in the know. It's rare to find someone who understands how all of this stuff really works.
    The prior owner blocked off the waste gate with a plate. Well, really it's a pop off valve.
    I've heard about some things about Mr. Turbo in the past, but I'm just having Terry work on the turbo only. I enjoy doing my own work.
    Damn, I'm very sorry to hear about the guy hitting you with a Buick. Now days my biggest concern is those fucking retards texting and driving.
    I was riding my turbo ZRX not long ago and had a women almost rear end me 3 times. I was watching her in my mirror playing with that damn phone and shook my finger to get her attention. I even let her pass me one time, but she went though the shopping mall and got behind me again. The 3rd time I put down my kick stand and got of my bike to go have a talk with her. I told her. If you hit me, you'd better damn well kill me, because if I get up and can move your fucked. I won't go into details, but she swerved out of traffic and drove up the shoulder of the road to the stop light and took a right hand turn to get away. I really don't like confronting people. I try to be a peaceful person anymore, but that shit pissed me off.
    Anyway, enough of that. This is my turbo ZRX with 15 pounds of boost. It's hands down the fastest thing I've ever rode. It's so damn fast I get a chill down my spine when the boost kicks in. I don't know how many G's it produces, but I've almost been pulled off the bike while accelerating. No B.S.
    I found this video of one to give you an idea of the ride. My bike is pretty much set up the same as the video bike.
    HART SYSTEMS

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Been outa bikes for along time now, but this is one I built from scratch ,,way,,,way,,, back in the day. Built lots of others too but just don't have any pictures of them anymore.

This one was a 450 Honda motor bored to 550, cams, pistons ,huge Minuki carb's with velocity stacks, tuned exhaust , the whole bike came in at 248 lbs and had 83HP on the dyno. I did actual 3-D flames on the tank, fenders and on the frame too, with ghosted highlights. That was a very fast bike straight line, and kinda like driving a rail ! I had allot of fun with that rig and kept it for quite a while.

I'd used one of the 900 Kawi motors in a go-kart type frame that I built one time and,,,,OH BOY,,,,,What a scarry frigging Beast that thing was!!
    Just a bit to much HP to weight ratio there, I could never get it to drive right, it was way to squirrely !

I mostly like choppers and stripped street bikes myself. I've Always loved my Sporsters,there a great "rip it up" bike with good balance!! Kinda like my 80" "Fat Bob's " too for cruising.

Can't ride anymore though sense I got hurt,,,DRAT!!! I'd ridden sense I was 15 and had a bike till about 15 years ago,,I'm 63 now,, so I rode for quite a while. Wish I still could.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My second hobby-scan0009.jpg  

My second hobby-scan0006.jpg  

My second hobby-scan0008.jpg  

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Dang that's nice Kenny. I'd love to have been able to slap a turbo on my Eliminator. Wouldn't mind having a ZRX1200R with a turbo either. :-)
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Considering how quick my little 650 was, I can only imagine how fast your ZRX is!
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

1976 ,72 XLCH .
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Nice XLCH !!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

twa2471 it was my first motorcycle .
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Nice XLCH !!
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.