Gunco Forums banner

My second hobby

6K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·
I used to do mods to weapons and I loved it, but now I also mess with old bikes and I have several. I have a turbo charged ZRX, but found this old turbo drag bike and just had to have it. It didn't run, but it does now! Just a little more tweaking and I'm taking it for a ride.
[video=youtube;-I5ysUSDlx8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I5ysUSDlx8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

#3 ·
I'm not into bikes, but that sounds nice :thumbup1:

And LOL at your dog, looks like he was getting excited wanting a ride :D
Yes, he loves to ride. I've been keeping a lookout for a sidecar, so he can travel on my LTD with me.
Not the LTD drag bike in the video though. This one.

#4 ·
Kenny, it's just wrong to tease me like that!!! LOL. Looking good brother!

#12 ·
Yes, but to bad they didn't know more about installing a turbo. They never installed the waste gate and over boosted the motor. Now the head gasket is blown and the turbo is puking oil.
I stripped off the turbo last night and sending it off to Mr. Turbo to be rebuilt and balanced. While it's gone, I'll install a new head gasket and hook up the waste gate the correct way.

#8 ·
neat looking old bike.

i used to play with them a lot had pretty tricked out cb750f ss back inthe day with big bore an stuff.

I just sold a Buell drag bike that had 130 HP at the rear . it won a few dyno shoot off inthe past . It had axtell cylinders stoker crank an a lt of head work an crap . I also just sold a Harly cafe racer XLCR . it was a tank an always broken .

I still own a 95 Harley Sportster that won Daytona in its class with Scottt Zampack as well won the champion ship for that year . Pro thunder I think it was called . its for sale an still in mostly race trim .

I currently ride a really tricked out buell S1 that won most of the shows it was in back in 99 an 2000 . was sort of back door sponsored by Erick Buell throught a local dealer so it could be parked next to the factory trailer back then . Its got a lot of chrome but no stupid crap .

#13 ·
The carbon seal on the turbo shaft is only a few bucks. A rebalance probably wouldn't hurt anyway.

Mr. Turbo had a spotty reputation back in the old days. At least according to a couple of project bikes in magazines, kits would show up missing various parts, and apparently instructions didn't come with the early kits. And who knows how many owners ago that was...

Make sure you check the head and block for flatness while the head is off, and give all of the head studs the hairy eyeball. Run some hex nuts all the way down the threads and make sure the studs haven't stretched at the top. The hot end is usually where they'll fail first.

One of the first things I did with my XJ650 Turbo was to wire the wastegate shut. The wastegate springs would get hot and lose their tension, and the boost would drop from the original 6 to less than 3. Not good, for a small-displacement, low-compression, heavy street bike. The factory came out with a "Power-Up Kit" that was supposed to fix the problem. It was just a restrictor washer in the wastegate pipe.

With the wastegate disabled, the boost would run up to 15PSI, which is there the popoff valve on the airbox was. Then there'd be a pause, and it would climb up to 18 to 20, depending on ambient temperature. The popoff valve was just too small to vent all the extra air.

I put about 30,000 miles on the bike that way, before a drug addict with a Buick took out the bike and left me with one leg shorter than the other. I transplanted the Seca Turbo engine into an XJ900 chassis and rode that until electrical problems finally made me give up on it. Then I picked up an already-built Suzuki Bandit drag bike, and rode that until arthritis made me hang up my helmet. I did an Iron Butt on the Bandit, which had flatslides and 13.5:1 compression... actually, it was a pussycat to ride. And despite the fancy motor, it wasn't as fast as the little 650 Yamaha. The guy who built it never believed me, though.

#14 ·
Wow, someone in the know. It's rare to find someone who understands how all of this stuff really works.
The prior owner blocked off the waste gate with a plate. Well, really it's a pop off valve.
I've heard about some things about Mr. Turbo in the past, but I'm just having Terry work on the turbo only. I enjoy doing my own work.
Damn, I'm very sorry to hear about the guy hitting you with a Buick. Now days my biggest concern is those fucking retards texting and driving.
I was riding my turbo ZRX not long ago and had a women almost rear end me 3 times. I was watching her in my mirror playing with that damn phone and shook my finger to get her attention. I even let her pass me one time, but she went though the shopping mall and got behind me again. The 3rd time I put down my kick stand and got of my bike to go have a talk with her. I told her. If you hit me, you'd better damn well kill me, because if I get up and can move your fucked. I won't go into details, but she swerved out of traffic and drove up the shoulder of the road to the stop light and took a right hand turn to get away. I really don't like confronting people. I try to be a peaceful person anymore, but that shit pissed me off.
Anyway, enough of that. This is my turbo ZRX with 15 pounds of boost. It's hands down the fastest thing I've ever rode. It's so damn fast I get a chill down my spine when the boost kicks in. I don't know how many G's it produces, but I've almost been pulled off the bike while accelerating. No B.S.
I found this video of one to give you an idea of the ride. [video=youtube;2p6NyEYnGoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6NyEYnGoM[/video] My bike is pretty much set up the same as the video bike.

#15 ·
Been outa bikes for along time now, but this is one I built from scratch ,,way,,,way,,, back in the day. Built lots of others too but just don't have any pictures of them anymore.

This one was a 450 Honda motor bored to 550, cams, pistons ,huge Minuki carb's with velocity stacks, tuned exhaust , the whole bike came in at 248 lbs and had 83HP on the dyno. I did actual 3-D flames on the tank, fenders and on the frame too, with ghosted highlights. That was a very fast bike straight line, and kinda like driving a rail ! I had allot of fun with that rig and kept it for quite a while.

I'd used one of the 900 Kawi motors in a go-kart type frame that I built one time and,,,,OH BOY,,,,,What a scarry frigging Beast that thing was!!
Just a bit to much HP to weight ratio there, I could never get it to drive right, it was way to squirrely !

I mostly like choppers and stripped street bikes myself. I've Always loved my Sporsters,there a great "rip it up" bike with good balance!! Kinda like my 80" "Fat Bob's " too for cruising.

Can't ride anymore though sense I got hurt,,,DRAT!!! I'd ridden sense I was 15 and had a bike till about 15 years ago,,I'm 63 now,, so I rode for quite a while. Wish I still could.

Attachments

#16 ·
Dang that's nice Kenny. I'd love to have been able to slap a turbo on my Eliminator. Wouldn't mind having a ZRX1200R with a turbo either. :)

#22 ·
I was always kinda partial to the Yamaha RD400. 2 Stoke Bike that would wind up like a chainsaw to 12K RPM. Lots of fun....How I survived that phase of my life is anybody's guess.

#25 ·
I'm the same way Bellson. I used to ride the Kawi 2 stroke triples. I had to of the H-1 500's. Wicked beasts they wee. They were either putting along with no power, or wide freaking open. Like a light switch, either on or off. No middle ground.

Hey, here's the one I always lusted after:

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/asp/classics/bike.asp?id=42

Yamaha TZ750 4cylinder 2 stroke BEAST on the dirt track scene.

#23 ·
HEY YOU OLD FARKERS THAT SAY YOU'RE TOO OLD OR BROKE UP TO RIDE.
My dad had a mild stroke 10 years before he passed away. The only thing it really did was leave him with weakened legs. That was in 1980. We looked around and found a Harley Servi-Car; 74in with disc brakes on all 3 corners. He went for his last ride 12 days before he passed away, 10 years later. If you want to ride, you can.
Just sayin.
Hunter

#24 ·
I still ride the wheeler quite regular,, but the wind buffeting on a motorcycle really get's to my neck now,,,Bad! That's the only thing that's kept me from getting another one. I sure do miss riding though and had been looking for one just before I got hurt. I almost bought Harley chopper 3 months before I got hurt but decided to hold off till spring. Good thing I did too, it would have sat for >2 years before I could have ridden it because of the fall otherwise. That would have really sucked, a shinny new bike and not be able to ride it !!!! That would have been the pits!

Ya,, I know a windshield,,,,but I still like choppers myself !!! That would be the only bike I'd consider nowadays. I like only rare or unusual things nowadays, no stockies for me,,just custom stuff for me. Don't like dressers, and sense I got the Buick,,,I've already got plenty of other chrome to keep polished already thanks!!!! I've always had a love for long, low ,lean and mean bikes myself, and I just can't grow outa that mode I guess. If it don't have extended springer's and longer than a country mile wheel base and very cool looking,,,,it just ain't got chit for me !!

#27 ·
MY CURRENT TOYS

96 BUELL S1 LIGHTNING . WON WORLD OF WHEELS AN CHICAGO SHOW BACK IN THE DAY . SOME IDIOT STUCK OVER $25,000 IN IT . ID LIKE OT HAVE MOST OF THAT BACK .

95 HARLEY ROAD RACE SPORTSTER WON DAYTONA IN 95 AN THE CHAMPIONSHIP THAT YEAR IN ITS CLASS . WAS RIDDEN BY SCOTT ZAMPACH AN OWNED BY MITCH HANSEN WHO OWNS COURS SUPPER BIKES AN RAN THE FACTORY DUCATTI EUPER BIKE TEAM AN THE RED BULL MOTARD TEAM YEARS AGO . NOT SURE WHAT HES DOING NOW . HE OWNED A HARELY DEALER SHIP WHEN THE BILE WAS RACED BY SCOTT. ITS NEVER BEEN REGISTERED .

THE HARLEY IS GOING UP FOR SALE VERY SOON DUE TO FINANCIAL REASONS . :rant:

Attachments

#31 ·
Nice Buell!
I'm not much of a Harley guy. They just never could take the beating I give a bike, but I do like a couple of models. Like this one.

I'd love to have one of the old flat trackers from the 80's.
Those were really cool. I remember going to see them race and I really liked the 750 class.

I've been working on a couple of my bikes.
Drag bike
http://www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/591120-i-found-a-old-turbo-drag-bike
Street Fighter
http://www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/589806-1974-z1a-with-1995-gsxr-750-suspension-build

I also picked up a cheap 1976 KZ900 today with 1800 original miles.
It took a hard hit to the lower frame and engine case, but I have another 76 KZ900 frame with matching engines cases.
Oh boy, another pos to work on.

#28 ·
MY CURRENT TOYS

96 BUELL S1 LIGHTNING . WON WORLD OF WHEELS AN CHICAGO SHOW BACK IN THE DAY . SOME IDIOT STUCK OVER $25,000 IN IT . ID LIKE OT HAVE MOST OF THAT BACK .

95 HARLEY ROAD RACE SPORTSTER WON DAYTONA IN 95 AN THE CHAMPIONSHIP THAT YEAR IN ITS CLASS . WAS RIDDEN BY SCOTT ZAMPACH AN OWNED BY MITCH HANSEN WHO OWNS COURS SUPPER BIKES AN RAN THE FACTORY DUCATTI EUPER BIKE TEAM AN THE RED BULL MOTARD TEAM YEARS AGO . NOT SURE WHAT HES DOING NOW . HE OWNED A HARELY DEALER SHIP WHEN THE BILE WAS RACED BY SCOTT. ITS NEVER BEEN REGISTERED .

THE HARLEY IS GOING UP FOR SALE VERY SOON DUE TO FINANCIAL REASONS . :rant:

#29 ·
Nice pair you got Biggun. I hate you have to sell one off. That always sucks. BTDT with my '95 Softail Custom. Man it hurt to sell it.

#30 ·
iM DONE RACING AN ITS JUST SITTING . MY WORK HAS GOT SCARRY SLOW AN WINTER IS COMING .

I HATE TO SELL ANYTHING I WORKED HARD FOR BUT ITS TIME IM AFRAID

I ALREADY SOLD OFF A BUELL DRAG BIKE AN A MZ SCORPIAN THAT WAS PRETTY TRICK .

I HARDLY RODE THE BUELL THIS SUMMER . MIGHT SELL IT NEXT SPRING IF MONEY DOSENT IMPROVE . I DOUBT IT WITH OBAMA IN OFFICE . :(

#33 ·
Nice Buell!
I'm not much of a Harley guy. They just never could take the beating I give a bike, but I do like a couple of models. Like thi
Im not sure what model that is . Its got the touring bag supports , a inverted s1 type front end. it has the wider seat from the 2000 or so models an up. I bet si a lot more comfortable to rife than mine .

the Buels have there limits but they will out handel a lot/most of bikes out there. I used to got to the batteltraxs events buell would sponsor that are basicaly a auto cross in a parking lot an the buells would eat prety much any thing that came along . There are limited to what they can take but they are pretty damn reliabel . I have about 20,000 on mine an its been stone cold reliable including a few track days. I dont baby it . its never going to be a rice rocket an was never intended to be .

I had a M2 buel wit axtel cylinders an all the good stuff an it made 130+ HP at the rear an won a few dyno shoot outs in its class . was built as a street legal drag bike . I never got it dialed in for gearing but it was pretty damn good . It needed a extended swong arm an I had it built but I sold it all off a few years ago .

I like mine it looks good sounds good is accepted by the sport bike guys as well as the Harley crowd , goes fast enought to get me killed an does awsome wheelies.
a lot of my buddies road rased them about 10 years ago . at Road America an Blackhawk. Im 50 years old now an I have little to prove.

some were burried in the shop is a 2000 honda XR 100 , big bored to 120CC with nig vlaves, custom cams , 30 mm makiuni running alcohol an 13-1 compression an has 16" slicks an MZ font end disk brakes on it that I raced in a mini Motard calss on a go cart track that had 15 turns in a half mile . It made about 22 HP . i ladt raced it in about 2005 . It won the class champion ship that year :) I had about $5000 tied up in a stupid kids trail bike LOL

I have had some newer sport bikes includig a 955 triumph daytona , a 929 honda , a few ninjas an as far as riding on the street have always perfered the buell .

as my late road race buddy said its more fun riding a slow bike fast than ridding a fast bike slow . Ridding a 180 MPH bike on the street is sort of boring IMO .

I had a Honda 1976 cb 750f SS back in the day had a big bore kit , flat slides kerker drag pipe it was pretty damn fast an used to eat those green Kawasaki 900 at the drag strip . it had drag bars an a cool for the era square custom head light . I wish I had it back .

I was working on a Yamaha 650 street tracker project but I gave up an sold it off . Im not realy tall an I always wanted a flat track type bike that was street legal . sort of a lowered down Motard .

#34 · (Edited)
What, a Honda 750 beating a Kaw 900?
That Kaw must have only been firing on 3 of the 4 cylinders. lol

Ron Cook held the worlds record for many years as the man who lived after a 200 mph crash on a Kawasaki 900 back in 1989.
Two weeks before, he walked away from a 185 mph crash.
[video=youtube;XTfKJFrUi9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTfKJFrUi9w[/video]

#35 ·
I have owned bikes for a number of years from a 1966 CB 250 Honda 1970? Suzuki X6 Hustler and T-350. Harley 1957 750 KH model. A 1971 Sportster 1000. Then several touring bikes and then nothing for a number of years.
I bought a brand new., but cheapo Bandit 1200 naked in 2002 two days after Christmas as it was on sale in Moon Run, Pennsylvania for $4,999 + $150 dealer prep etc.
I added dual headamps., a pipe and a few motor tweaks and have ridden it to 25 states or so. 42,000 on the original motor and parts etc. Still runs strong.

Earlier pic here>>

At Mt Rushmore Monument>

#36 ·
Nice bike. It reminds me of my rex. I like that style handle bars. I'm not a clip on fan.
A few motor tweaks. I do that also. lol
I have a friend who is a big Suzuki fan. I think his dad and older brother raced for Suzuki in the late 70's.
I like really like my old bikes, but the newer ones sure do handle a lot better.
It's nice to not have to fight a bike in a hard corner and the brakes are much better.

That's why I'm mocking this up for myself.

It will be something like this when it's finished.

In the mean time I have this, if I feel the need to go real fast.

#37 ·
What, a Honda 750 beating a Kaw 900?
That Kaw must have only been firing on 3 of the 4 cylinders. lol
NOPE THE HONDA WAS RUNNing on 4 big cylinders . I forget what the big bore kit made it . It had cams an was running pretty high compression.

I cant recall what Kaw 900 they were they were green . this was in about 1983 0r 84 . they were doing some magazne shots at sears point race way that day on the new Kaw there was like 4 of them that they had brand new with a pro rider an all that . we unloaded the old 1976 750 out of my 65 Elcamino an beat all of the bikes the magazine gys had there that day . LOL .

I sold the honda when It started having some transmission issues an bought a Suzuki gs 1100 I think it was a 1984? it was the last of the dual rear shock models .

it would go into a death wobble at 99 MPH if you didnt have the tank full of gas an the were leaning on the tank . i was about 145 pounds back then. I almost got pitched off it a few times I changed tired an added a stablaizer an that helped . It was fast but a tank handled like crap . it was stone cold reliable however i but a lot of miles on it. It was great bike to sport tour on an ride a passanger .

I really like the black ZRX above .

MY late buddy had one of those bandits he could ride an was a local road race legend . he had side an tail bags on his an used to do stoppies an wheelies on it that would blow your mind . man that guy could ride . He decided to kill him self for some reason Ill never know .

he had a MZ 650 single he road raced an he was fast on it . I had a MZ scorpian that unfortunatly my X wife got in the divorce . they ran a 650 Yamaha raptor atv motor basically. Mine had 60 HP at the rear after I piped an jeted it an a few things . fun bike to ride

#40 ·
Not sure on the Kawasaki racing green thing, 1982?
I think the green was because of Eddy Lawson. He was a hell of a rider, but I never did like that green.

The ZRX is a tribute to Eddy Lawson from Kawasaki.
My buddy has a green ZRX and when he asked me what color I was going to buy. I said, anything but that nasty green.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.