Gunco Forums banner

Starbucks CEO says guns not welcome in stores

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
Starbucks CEO says guns not welcome in stores

Starbucks is becoming a gun-free zone.

After months of wrangling over the highly-emotional issue, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz late Tuesday announced that guns are no longer permitted in Starbucks stores — or in Starbucks outdoor seating areas.

Schultz made the comments in an open letter to his "Fellow Americans" that was posted on the company's website.

In an interview with USA TODAY, also Tuesday, Schultz says: "The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers."

But, to be clear, Starbucks will not slap an outright ban on guns, he says, because enforcing such a ban "would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers."

Full-page newspaper advertisements announcing the change will appear in Thursday's editions of USA TODAY, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post.

For Starbucks, which has been embraced by the gun lobby for permitting guns in stores in those parts of more than 40 states that allow them, it's a major change of policy certain to have immediate blow-back from pro-gun enthusiasts.

Continued: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/09/18/starbucks-coffee-guns-ceo-schultz/2829937/

Black Blade: Well, their coffee tastes like dog piss anyway. I tried it a couple times and was not at all impressed. I can go to my local coffee shop (owned by a LA hippy no less) where guns are no problemo at all. I tried a double cafe Americano in Starbucks in Salt Lake City airport and it was like drinking hot water. I tossed it after a couple sips. I guess besides low quality coffeewe now have low quality management willing to cave into political pressures.

See less See more
#3 ·
I suspect that to many open carry groups an types were going there to show off or be seen with guns.

I doubt it would have ever been a issue if people had never seized on the fact that starbucks was a gun friendly store.

I dont like there decision but I do know some groups would hang out here for the above reasons . apparently this has become bad for business .

there is a guy who is the grocery store ever day packing open . its obvious to me he is there only to walk around with a gun on his side then talk when people ask about it . IMO the guy a racist wack job just looking for trouble an is very vocal in the store on gun rights . eventually I suspect the store will ban guns because this one idiot .

There is a group in my area whos thing is to strap a gun on an all show up fior a gathering a resturant or other place an see if there confronted . the made news about 3 years ago when exactly that happend an the cops arrived an they refused to show ID or somehting .. theny were cited an then they won in court or it at least drew attention for them it worked . problem is joe blow customers dont want any part of it .

people need to just go about there daily business if they carry not try to make a spectical out of it . I know for a fact that some open carry groups hope the cops will come so they can push a legal issue or file suit.

Flame me if you want but some times gun owners our our own worst enemy's .

#4 ·
i wouldn't drink starbucks brew if you paid me too.

no telling what some of those gay "partners" of theirs do to that coffee and coffee making equipment when no one is looking.

i think they might be "having their way" with the stuff and then giggeling when someone says their coffee don't taste right--

i'll take my chances with the chepo 3lb tins at wally world a brew it myself --

#5 ·
Mis-read of the article. Thank you media wanting to sell newspapers for mis-informing us yet again...

The guy they interviewed said "they would not ask you to leave" if you brought in a gun... they are simply not wanting the crap that goes along with it (e.g. anti-gun demonstrations, etc). Can't say that I blame them... they aren't in the gun business after all.

#8 ·
Yeah I go along with that.. I am not against open carry, just think it has its time and place.. WTF if I am in Denali National Park in Alaska, I want a big iron strapped to my side..
Go in a public food store, I don't want kids staring at my gun on my hip.. Unless their is a badge next to it.. Conceal the damn thing..
Personally the videos I have seen, yes the carry people were 100% in their rights doing what they did.. But one lib **** gets upset, Police on the way, cameras come out. No we do not have to show you I.D..
Some states, Vermont, Arizona I believe? Open carry is fully accepted.. But even here in gun friendly Florida, I walk downtown Daytona. Bet money the Police are going to ask who I am with a big iron on my hip..

#6 ·
EXACTLY pro gunnsrs ahve put them in political position they would rather not be in .

bottom line is they dont want to be campaing head quarters for every local open carry group they what to please every one an sell coffee .

I know for a fact that a local pro gun open carry group like to use them as a meeting spot . frankly some of those guys are idiots an scare the hell out of me.

being pro open carry is one thing do it if you want . getting a group together an shoving in every ones face looking for attention is wrong IMO . if your carrying a gun to be noticed or hoping for conflict you need a reality check . Sooner or later some is going to challange one of those idiots an its not going to end well .

I have seen the one group in person . they all want to talk a littel louder than every one they all want to preach about there rights if asked whats up . Wrong way to go about things IMO.

#7 ·
a bunch of lottaie drinking quisch eating , wanna be hipsters who just wrote a book hang out there and drink $5 coffee all trying to get on the "opra" show.

a little PINK and light in the loafers but they got to know something --like how they was abused as a child , or pushed around by some big bad bullie or how the system is stacked against the GLB community.

i'm like thinking what kind of open carry guy wants to go into a starbucks anyway? there is all ways some hippiee in there writing some communist manifeto.

i hang out drink my coffee at joes diner or the waffle house --wherever the cute waitress is--LOL-- and listen to the loggers and truck drivers gripe about their bad backs--

#9 ·
lol THAT WOULD BE LIKE ME HANGING MY 14" BARRELD AK PISTOL AROUND MY NECK WITH A DRUM AN WALKING AROUND TO SEE IF ANY ONE OBJECTS. THEN BITCHING ABOUT MY RIGHTS BEING VIOLATED .

iF YOU SEE ME PACKING A GUN ITS BECAUSE I PLAN ON USING IT AT ANY MOMENT . i DONT EXPEXCT TO NEED MY GUN AT ANY MOMENT IN THE GROCERY STORE OR THE PIZZA PIT OR THE COFFEE SHOP . iD RATHER HAVE THE ELEMENT OF SUPRISE ON ME .

i STILL HAVENT GOT MY CONCILED AN ITS BEEN LEGAL FOR 2 YEARS HERE . I DONT REALLY WORRY TO MUCH ABOUT THAT STUFF WERE I LIVE . I HAVE ARMS IN MY VECHICLES LEGALY IF I NEED ONE . YEA I KNOW YOU NEVER NOW WHEN SOME NUT IS GOING TO START SHOOTING IMIGANARY ZOMBIES .

THE TRUTH IS IM MORE LIKLEY TO BE KILLED DRIVING HOME BY A DRUNK OR HITTING A DEER ON THE ROAD . i KNOW A GUY WHO CARRIES TWO GUNS EVERY WERE AN A BUNCH OF MAGS. HE IS NOBODY SPECIAL AN LIVES IN THE COUNTRY . IMO THE GUYS A LITTLE OFF.

IF AN WHEN I GET A CONCEALED I MIGHT CARRY A SMALL POCKET PISTOL . I SHOOT POOL A LOT AN AM IN THE BARS ON WEEK ENDS SO I CANT CARRY THERE AN I SURE DONT WANT TO BE DRINKING AN CARRING AS THATS ILLEAGE HERE . IM MORE AFRAID OF A NEGATIVE RUN IN WITH THE LAW AN LOOSING ALL MY GUN PRIVILAGES THAN GETTING KILLED BY SOME ONE . iD HATE TO HAVE FEW BEERS IN ME AN GUN AT A TRAFFIC STOP .

I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH A OPEN CARRY SIDE ARM AN IF THERE WERE MORE WHO DID IT WERE LEGAL IT WOULD BE LESS OF A SPECTICAL.

WHEN YOU MAKE IT YOUR HOBBY TO BE SEEN WITH A GUN EVERY DAY AN FEEL YOU NEED TO JOIN A GROUP TO GET ATTENTION I HAVE A FEW ISSUES

#10 ·
Perhaps if some people weren't dumb asses and just went about their business instead of having to stage demonstrations StarBucks wouldn't have been forced to take this action to keep BOTH pro-gun and anti-gun demonstrators from disrupting business.

It appears the presence of demonstrators from BOTH sides prompted this action. It wasn't like they weren't warned. StarBucks being a privately owned company can set its policy however it likes and it seems to me a few idiot gun owners pushed the issue by doing exactly what the CEO asked them not to do.

Either way it doesn't effect me in the least because I don't drink coffee and if I did I certainly wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices StarBucks wants for a cup of coffee. Just pass me my ice cold Mountain Dew and that my friends, or enemies, makes me happy!

#11 ·
I compare this to the cultural parades that take place all over the place. You shove the fact that you are a certain type of person in everyone's faces then act pissed off when someone says they don't care. I am proud to be a responsible firearm owner but when out in public the second someone figures it out it has already gone past the point of no return. Other than that, demanding everybody respect your opinion isn't the wisest thing and kind of makes you look... Liberal I guess...

#12 ·
I compare this to the cultural parades that take place all over the place. You shove the fact that you are a certain type of person in everyone's faces then act pissed off when someone says they don't care. I am proud to be a responsible firearm owner but when out in public the second someone figures it out it has already gone past the point of no return. Other than that, demanding everybody respect your opinion isn't the wisest thing and kind of makes you look... Liberal I guess...
pretty well said .

some times you just piss off people who hurt your cause .

in a perfect world it would be a non issue an people would not have to make a big deal one way or another .

#13 ·
Even here in Vt weather you carry open or concealed it was never an issue till lately, and really, still not much of one yet.

I've carried for years but now I'm noticing more and more how people are reacting when they do happen see you carrying. It seems that more people are becoming hyper vigilant cause of what's been in the news lately, just as gun owners have. Myself I haven't run into any issues other than once and it was really no big deal.

There was a road block due to an escape of a local prisoner that was working on a road construction sight and the PD were checking people going through. They had officers on both sides of the road looking into cars and I knew damn well as I was pulling up they'd be able to see the 9mm in my cross draw from the passenger side so I informed them I was armed when I reached the first officer, just to avoid any undue stress on there part. And I for one don't want to be drawn on by someone that more than likely has much less training than myself. There was no issue with them at all and they thanked me for informing them and just asked me a couple of quick questions about being armed,,then I was on my way. No problems at all, and I took no offense by them asking and didn't make a federal case out of it.

This has happened a couple times too. As an example. Last fall I had gone to the fun show and was carrying a couple K cash around with me for shopping so naturally I was carrying. After the show I stopped at a local store to get a "road soda' for the ride home and I couldn't help but notice some folks keeping an eye on me sense when I had reached down on a lower shelf to grab something, it had exposed the 380 I was carrying. I just acted nonchalant about it and just went about my business covered it back up like it's a normal thing,,which it is. Of course I chatted up the cutie behind the counter for a second (as I always do,,of course) and pet-up the pup that was in the store too so everyone saw I wasn't a threat and was just a normal person that just happened to be carrying. Generally it's not much of an issue around here.

This time of the year it tends to be more of a concern sense we get the "flat landers" coming up from Mass, Nj, and NY, for leaf peeping season and there not used to seeing someone carrying a gun. Half the time I'm dressed in my hunting cloths sense I'm coming back or going hunting so it usually won't raise an eyebrow. But lately there has been an increase in robberies at stores so you do kinda get "the eye" when your in regular cloths if they happen to see you carrying. I got a laugh one time when I was picking up some syrup for a bud and this ,,obviously,, NY woman said,,,,OMG he's got a gun,,,,the owner just said "don't worry he's my friend ,, he won't hurt you, lots of us carry guns in Vermont." You could see she was visibly relieved,,I honestly don't think she'd ever seen anyone carrying before. So I took a couple of seconds to be extra friendly and helped explain to her the different grades of Maple Syrup ,,sense she obviously didn't know the difference. Things like this will make life allot easier for all of us if we can approach incidents such as this in the way I did. I think she felt much more comfortable after and gained a greater understanding that day about people carrying guns,,were not crooks just cause we carry a gun. I think that was here attitude before and hopefully I put forth a good impression that day,,I hope so anyhow. But she defiantly acted much differently towards me and I could see out of the corner of my eye she was still quite curious about the gun. Hopefully I put gun owners in a good light that day,,

that's the mode we all have to approach non-gunners on now or they will always be against us, just cause they don't understand. It's are job to show them were just regular folks, we just happen to like guns and that they can be used responsibly. All they've ever known is what they seen on TV or movies. I guess you can't blame them for being antsy,sense that's all they know about guns. But that's what makes it all that much more important , to educate them so they'll know that were not a threat. And real life isn't the movies,,,and good guys,,do,, carry guns too!

I know what you guys mean though about some of these outspoken gun advocates . I honestly think there a HUGE problem by being an ass about caring and making a big seine about there rights at every opportunity,,,that's just stupid IMO. It really makes me cringe when I see one of these assholes making a big deal outa nothing and giving the PD boys a hard time. I just want to reach out and slap them up side the head!!! ARE THEY IDIOTS ????

Oh well some people just aren't happy unless there causing waves,,on either side of an issue,,,,there both assholes IMO ! But just remember,, just like the PD's, when you strap on a gun you're held to a higher standard and should conduct yourself accordingly, and if you cop an attitude when you are, you'll fuck up being able to carry for everyone, but that's just my opinion.

The only way to win this debate is to show that caring a gun is a normal part of life for many, like myself, and that the ones that do are in 99.9% of case's, just everyday folks going about there business and that we are responsible people. This getting in someones face and causing a big seine to try to prove a point is just going to hurt things for all of us,,,,

and these people are even suspect to me by there aggressive actions concerning guns, there not the ones I'd consider a good representative of most gun owners or of those of us that carry. There a determent IMO

Just remember when you're out and about it's your responsibility to come across as a normal responsible person and not some confrontational ass just trying to make a point. Good common sense is the byword here!! And if you should expose your carry piece, just act normal, don't make a big deal outa it like some do,,,

I hate confrontational assholes, no matter what side of an issue there on,,,even gun owners,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#14 ·
TWA2471

VERY WELL SAID AN PRETTY CLOSE TO HOW I FEEL .

It seems that more people are becoming hyper vigilant cause of what's been in the news lately
I DONT BLAME SOME ONE FOR WORRYING A LITTLE BIT . HELL i WAS BEHIND A GUY AT THE GAS STAION THE OTHER DAY AN HE HAD A AUTO TUCKED IN HIS SHORTS AN HIS SHIRT HAD RISEN UP SO IT WAS VISIBLE TO EVERY ONE. HONESLY I WAS LIKE OK WTF IS THIS GUY GOING TO ROB THE KWICK TRIP ?? HELL ITS A LEGITIMATE THOUGHT . WE ALL CARRY TO PROTECT US FROM GUYS WHO ALSO CARRY BUT ARE BAD. SO SEEING A GUN HALF HIDDEN IS A CONCERN.

HELL THE DC NAVY SHOOTER NEVER REALLY BROKE ANY LAWS WITH HIS LEGALLY BOUGHT SHOT GUN UNTIL HE ENTERED THE BASE . SO ARE WE SUPPOSED TO NOT CARE HE HAD A SHOT GUN UP TO THAT POINT?

IF I SEE THREE GUYS WALKING BY A BANK WITH GUNS AM I NOT SUPPOSED TO WONDER ?

IMO OPEN CARRY GUYS ARE NOT LIKLEY GOING TO ROB A STORE . CONCILED CARRY GUYS YOU DONT REALLY KNOW . AN THE GUY WITH NO HOLSTER AN GUN IN HIS SHORTS THAT WAS HALF SHOWING WAS A RED FLAG FOR ME . HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN ABOUT TO ROB THE PLACE HOW DO YOU KNOW . i DO KNOW IF ID BEEN ALSO ARMED I WOULD HAVE BEEN ON HIGH ALERT OR VIGILANT AS WE LIKE OT CALL IT .

i SAW THE SAME IDIOT TODAY I SEE EVER WERE OPEN CARING. THIS TIME AT MC DONALD'S GIVING A LADY WITH A KID A LECTURE ON RIGHTS . AN SOAKING UP ATTENTION . IMO THE GUY NEED TO PUT IT AWAY, AN SHUT UP ON GO ON WITH HIS LIFE. EVERY TIME I SEE HIM HES TALKING ABOUT HIS GUN TO SOME ONE .

I KNOW A COP HAS NO RIGHT TO ASK FOR ID IF YOU OPEN CARRY BUT FACE FACTS ITS NOT COMMON AN IF HE ASKS YOU WHO YOU ARE ITS LIKELY BECAUSE SOME ONE CALLED IT IN OR IS SCARED OR WHAT EVER . IF HE ASKS JUST SAY HERE YA GO AN SMILE. YEA ITS NOT RIGHT BUT YOU KNOW WHAT NEXT T HE WILL KNOW YOU, HE WILL KNOW YOU COOPERATED AN MIGHT EVEN GIVE YOU A BREAK . I GUARANTEE YOU IF YOUR A DICK TO HIM HE WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE BAD THE NEXT TIME YOUR SPEEDING HAD A BEER AT THE BAR OR SOME OTHER ISSUE . ITS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE OR PORTRAY A GOOD GUY IF POSSIBLE

I LEGALLY HAVE THE RIGHT TO WALK AROUND IN WI WITH MY AMD 65 /AK PISTOL IN FULL VIEW LOADED WITH A 75 ROUND DRUM . THERE IS A THING THEY CAN DO TO STOP ME IN MOST PLACES ON THE SIDE WALK . JUST BECAUSE ITS LEGAL DONT MAKE IT A GOOD IDEA .

UNFORTUNATELY OPEN CARRY HAS BECOME A RARE THING AN RARE THINGS DRAW ATTENTION . WHEN I WAS A KID IN CALIFORNIA IN SOME OF THE SMALL TOWNS UP NORTH GUYS STILL KILLED CARRIED REVOLVERS ON THERE HIPS . THERE WOULD BE A RIFLE IN THE GUN RACK OF THERE TRUCK . HELL MY DAD USED TO KEEP THE PISOL ON THE DASH SO IT WOULD NOT BE CONCEALED EVERY TIME WE WENT HUNTING . IIN ABOUT 1983 I RODE 50 MILES UP HWY 101 ON MY HONDA 750 WITH A BROWNING A5 ON MY SHOULDER WITH CLOTHES LINE GOING DOVE HUNTING PASSED A FEW COPS IN TOWNS I WENT THROUGH NOT A ISSUE .

THE PROBLEM IS PEOPLE ARE UNEDUCATED ABOUT A LOT OF THIS .

IF I RAN A COFFEE SHOP I WOULD TRY TO BE PRO GUN BUT IF I HAD A SMALL GROUP MAKING THE MAJORITY OF MY CUSTOMER NOT BUY THERE. ID HAVE TO STOP GUNS IN THE STORE. ID HATE TO DO IT BUT ID ALSO HAVE TO MAKE A LIVING . 6 GUYS HAVING COFFIE EVERY MORING TO BE SEEN WITH GUNS IS NOT WORTH LOOSING A BUSSNESS . SO THINK HOW SOME ONE WHO REALLY DOSENT HAVE A DOG IN THIS FIGHT FEELS . ITS JUST EASIER TO SAY NO GUNS .

HONESTLY IM SURPRISED THE STORES IN THE SMALL TOWN NEAR HERE HAVE NOT PUT UP SIGNS TO KEEP OUT JUST THE ONE IDIOT . PERSONALLY ID JUST TELL HIM TO LEAVE AN SINGLE HIM OUT AN NOT WRECK IT FOR EVERY ONE . ITS A TOUGH CALL I THINK HES UNBALANCED ESPECIALLY WHEN HE STARTS DROPPING THE N BOMB AN GOES RACIAL ABOUT HIS NEED TO PROTECT HIM SELF .

#15 ·
My oldest son open carries virtually ALL the time. He has had no issues with the stores with no signage and doesn't carry into those that do. He has also had no confrontations with people on the street.

But then again he doesn't make a big show of carrying, he just goes about his business.

#16 ·
The way I see it if someone asks me my opinion about something I will give it and at times get on my soap box. Other than that I don't feel I have to shove anything into anyone's face much less at Starbucks. Now because of their new policy (or statement) I will no longer get anything from them. Which is fine they don't hold the monopoly on coffee, but it is a free market economy and they apparently feel they will make their money without patrons who carry. Whatever I would be more effected if someone came down and cancelled curling in the winter games. I say be a proud gun owner and keep it to yourself and like minded people. You carrying openly is not going to make an anti-gunner change their mind about guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.