Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Cans - Heads Up

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Ammo Cans - Heads Up

I bought a few "new manufacture" 50 cal ammo cans recently for about $15 each as I had a lot of loose ammo and small parts lying about. The prices have increased quite a bit but I could have waited to pick up a few free cans from a particular source). I used to get fairly decent used ammo cans for about $9-$10 each at a Army-Navy Surplus Store in SE Idaho (may check them out again in a couple months). I just noticed that SPG has a sale on used ammo cans listed as "good condition" for $8.99 each (member price) and if you use the $4.99 shipping (code: SH1675) it might be worth it for some here looking for some cans. I bought a few from them before and most were in what I would call "very good" condition but some of these are said to have some surface rust and/or stenciling on the side so who knows - may clean up nice tho.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...lewk393tsgsurp

As long as they seal it's what I use.

Name:  d4436be217f4dd9ec0dbd5dcb1ded7404825ede5_r.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  67.3 KB Name:  a043626c100adaeecec0d45ab2fbdaaea6de93dc_r.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  62.7 KB Name:  f803644715aadd22c480d7abbd1dd010d8e285ea_r.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  65.0 KB

Anyway, just in case anyone is interested in some "cheap" ammo cans.

- Black Blade
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If Obomber gets his ceiling debt raised they will be selling @ $20.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by railbuggy View Post
    If Obomber gets his ceiling debt raised they will be selling @ $20.
    Never mind the cans Rails. Oh he is going to get the debt raised, it is just a game of show and tell for now.. The cans are great, but very soon we are going to need what is inside them..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SO. How are they getting "new manufacture" cans? Are these authentic USA surplus that they found somewhere? OR are they imitation China cans? I ask only because with the Jerry Cans, now unable to be sold due to EPA regulations, a bunch of China-made Jerry Cans have sprung up since the originals were pulled from the market. Or did they change the "no can lids sold" rules? Those rules were established after they found people literally smuggling military equipment off bases inside these cans. I wonder perhaps if they brokered a deal to get the can bodies and simply mated them to a sale of can lids. HRM... HOWEVER that seems unlikely. I'd be willing to bet that "new manufacture" means they aren't really "REAL" surplus ammo cans. Which begs the question in my mind, I personally wouldn't buy a Chinese Jerry Can (or ammo can!) and find something else to use. Speaking of Jerry Cans, the new style cans are still available, and they are really nice cans. Bigger than the metal ones but practically indestructible.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Don't overlook coffee cans. I use the plastic ones to store loose ammo. While not real waterproof, their sealed pretty good and hold a lot of re-load rounds..

Bit off topic, but check this jar out for you youngguns bug out bags..
    Ammo cans are good don't get me wrong.. I have one in my boat I leave emergency tools, paperwork, light battery, etc..
    Just pulled the boat for minor repairs.. Damn whole bottom of the can was rusted through.. Maybe?? Plastic airtight is the new answer???
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Here's the "new" ones: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1510627

Can youse guys tell if they are real? Seems like they would be , with the Lake City info on there ?
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The SPG cans are used surplus. I can get those and know a few surplus dealers who buy from military installations (must hold a business license). The new manufacture are not surplus but direct from the manufacturer sold to the public. I suspect that with things winding down the manufacturers are looking for new markets and selling to the public.

Name:  Ammo-Stock1a.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  106.5 KB
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Don't overlook coffee cans. I use the plastic ones to store loose ammo. While not real waterproof, their sealed pretty good and hold a lot of re-load rounds..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iGC5bpRK50
    Bit off topic, but check this jar out for you youngguns bug out bags..
    Ammo cans are good don't get me wrong.. I have one in my boat I leave emergency tools, paperwork, light battery, etc..
    Just pulled the boat for minor repairs.. Damn whole bottom of the can was rusted through.. Maybe?? Plastic airtight is the new answer???
    Probably more work than ya wanna do, but if storing an ammo can in a maritime environment I would sandblast down to bare metal and parkerize the thing. Cover with Gunkote and bake. Properly applied Gunkote withstands a sustained saltwater spray for months. The coating was originally created for offshore oil rig equipment. One of the gun refinishers posted he had made up a test sample, coating half a steel bar with Gunkote and leaving the rest bare. He then submerged in acid. Oops, left in too long. He wound up with a hollow shell of Gunkote!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My dad does the whole surplus buy thing from military. That's where he gets his tents he sells The whole deal with surplus cans is that they can no longer sell them WITH the lids from military installations, so quality really suffers as you can imagine from a stack of cans w/o lids sitting outside in the rain and who knows what else for how long. I would think the manufacturers could make a pretty good deal selling them direct, or in fact selling to the major outlets like SPG. Win-Win for everyone

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well the add says US made. some one must make them to sell to the militaty maybe there selling to sportsmans guide now ? maybe they have never been on a base ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.