Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Man sets himself on fire on the National Mall

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Man sets himself on fire on the National Mall

Man sets himself on fire on the National Mall
    ERIC TUCKER, AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — A man set himself on fire on the National Mall in the nation's capital as passers-by rushed over to help put out the flames, officials and witnesses said Friday afternoon.

The reason for the self-immolation was not immediately clear and the man's identity was not disclosed. But it occurred in public view, on a central national gathering place, in a city still rattled by a mass shooting last month and a high-speed car chase outside the U.S. Capitol on Thursday that ended with a woman being shot dead by police with a young child in the car.

The man on the Mall suffered life-threatening injuries and was airlifted to the hospital, said District of Columbia fire department spokesman Tim Wilson.

He was standing by himself in the center portion of the Mall when he emptied the contents of a red gasoline can on himself and set himself on fire moments later, said Katy Scheflen, who witnessed it as she walked across the area. Police say they responded around 4:20 p.m. Friday.

Scheflen said the man was clearly alive as the fire spread, and passing joggers took off their shirts in an effort to help put out the flames. It was not clear who actually extinguished the flames.

A police department spokesman said the man was conscious and breathing at the scene. MedStar Washington Hospital Center tweeted that the man was taken there and he was in critical condition Friday night.

"There was not a lot people could do because it was a gasoline fire," Scheflen said.

She said he may have said something before he acted "but it was nothing intelligible." She said she did not see him holding any signs before he set himself ablaze.

She said there was another man with a tripod set up near him, but it's unclear if the man was filming the incident.

Lt. Pamela Smith of the U.S. Park Police, which is investigating along with the D.C. police department, said: "I'm not aware of any signage or any articulation of any causes."

The D.C. police department has dispatched its violent crimes branch, which responds to cases in which a person suffers serious injury
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

maybe it was for foreign consumption

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

He got what he wanted, he died

WASHINGTON (AP) — A man who set himself on fire on the National Mall in the U.S. capital has died of his injuries, which were so severe that authorities will have to use DNA and dental records to identify him, District of Columbia police said Saturday.

The man died Friday night at a Washington hospital where he had been airlifted, Officer Araz Alali, a police spokesman, said.

The man poured the contents of a red canister of gasoline on himself in the center portion of the mall Friday afternoon. He then set himself on fire, with passing joggers taking off their shirts to help put out the flames. Police had said he was conscious and breathing at the scene, but he was airlifted to MedStar Washington Hospital Center with life-threatening injuries.

Police are investigating the man's possible motives. Lt. Pamela Smith of the U.S. Park Police said Friday she was not aware that he had carried any signs with him or had articulated a cause.

One witness, Katy Scheflen, said she did not hear the man say anything intelligible before he set himself on fire. But she said she did notice that another man with a tripod was standing nearby and had disappeared by the time the police had arrived. It was not immediately clear whether a recording exists.

"He appeared to be waiting for something to happen. After it happened, he was gone," Scheflen, a Justice Department lawyer, said Saturday of the man with the tripod.

"I can't say what the connection was between them or whether there was a connection," she added.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man sets himself on fire on the National Mall-dc_fireman.jpg  

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

YIKES THAT HAD TO HURT . AN GAS IS NOT CHEAP .

WELL HE GAVE HIS LIFE FOR SOME CAUSE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW WHAT IT WAS? WTF . GUY WITH TRIPOD DISAPPEARS WTF ??? THAT GUY DELT WITH SOME SERIOUS PAIN TO PROVE SOME POINT TO BAD WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT.

HMMM GUYS WALKING AROUND WITH RED GAS CANS IN DC SHOULD BE A REASON OF CONCERN .
    JUST LAST WEEK I POSTED ABUT A GUY WHO WALKED ON A BUSS TOSSED GAS AN LITE IT OFF .

BETTER BAN GAS CANS THAT HOLD MORE THAN 4 PINTS OF GAS AS HIGH CAPACITY MURDER CANS ARE A THREAT TO THE CHILDREN .

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

THAT GUY DELT WITH SOME SERIOUS PAIN TO PROVE SOME POINT TO BAD WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Maybe in a few days a letter will show up somewhere?

Feedback Score

We will only hear what his reason was if it is anti conservitive
    good guns and bad girls what a life.

How can you trust a government that can't run a business of sell sex and booze without bankrupting it.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I wonder when and where the video will show up. It sure sounds like the guy with the tripod was involved.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I DON'T KNOW BUT THERE HAS TO BE SURVALINACE VIDEO OF THE AREA .

HE HAD A 2.5 GALLION OR SO RED GAS CAN WALKING AROUND BY THE CAPITOL YOU WOULD THINK THAT WOULD BE A SECURITY ISSUE.

WE HAVE WOMEN SHOOT IN THERE CARS OFF CAMERA , 800,000 BIKERS OFF CAMERA , GUYS LIGHTING THEM SELVES ON FIRE OFF CAMERA , APPARENTLY YOU CAN DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT IN FROT OF THE WHITE HOUSE AN THERE IS NO SURVEILLANCE . JUST DON'T TALK ON YOUR CELL PHONE .

HE WAS A BLACK MAN BTW . THE MEDIA SEEMS TO FORGET TO REPORT DESCRIPTIONS THESE DAYS . HE WAS IN STABLE CONDITION THEY REPORTED HOW EVER . APPARENTLY DEAD IS A STABLE CONDITION

THAT HAD TO HURT .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man sets himself on fire on the National Mall-manonfire-01.jpg  

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

LOT OF PICTURES HERE . HOW IS THE WHOLE INCIDENT NOT ON VIDEO ??

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1476755

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF A GUY CAN GET THIS CLOSE WITH A GIANT CAN OF GAS HE COULD GET THIS CLOSE WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER , SNIPER RIFLE. POISONOUS GAS, RC PLANE OR HELICOPTER WITH A BOMB. KITE WITH A BOMB SHARKS WITH FINS , ETC .

HE SURE THE HELL DIDNT HAVE THAT CAN IN HIS PANTS

HOW IS THIS INCIDENT NOT ON VIDEO????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man sets himself on fire on the National Mall-usa-immolation.jpg  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.