Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good news from Washington -- UN Arms Trade Treaty DOA in US Senate

Feedback Score

Default Good news from Washington -- UN Arms Trade Treaty DOA in US Senate

DISCLAIMER!!! THIS IS AN OPINION PIECE

Sens. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) released a bipartisan letter this week signed by 48 of their colleagues pledging to oppose the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), which Secretary of State John Kerry signed on behalf of the United States in September.
    This letter makes it clear that the Senate will not ratify the treaty in the foreseeable future.

Since a treaty requires a two-thirds majority to win the Senate's advice and consent, the ATT is at least 17 votes short of the 67 votes needed to secure ratification. And if anything, the Moran-Manchin letter understates Senate opposition to the treaty.

Eleven other senators, all Democrats, supported either an amendment opposing the ATT offered earlier this year by Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), a concurrent resolution led earlier this year by Moran, a 2012 letter led by Moran or a 2011 letter led by Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.).

Put it all together, and a total of 61 senators either have pledged to oppose the ATT or have publicly expressed skepticism about it. If it ever reaches the Senate, the ATT is more likely to be opposed by 67 senators than to find a two-thirds majority willing to support it.
    Itís not hard to see why.

The ATT nominally requires signatory nations to act to regulate their import and export of conventional weapons and related activities. But all nations already have the unquestioned right to control such activities.

The fact that many nations havenít done so suggests that theyíre not actually interested in or capable of such regulations. The ATT will bind the U.S., but it is unlikely to lead the worldís bad and incompetent governments to behave any better. We have nothing to gain from signing.

In the House, the strength of the opposition is also impressive. True, the Senate has the lead responsibility for treaties, but opinion in the House is another gauge of the sentiments of the American people.

And the House never has been more opposed to the ATT.

Earlier this year, 149 representatives joined Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Pa.) on the House side of the concurrent resolution. This week's bipartisan letter, led by Kelly and Rep. Collin Peterson (D-Minn.), has 181 signers.

With Kelly's Special Order last month in the House on the ATT, and his House-adopted bans on funding to implement the treaty, the House's attitude is even clearer than the Senate's.

The ATT also faces a rough ride north of the border.

The Canadian government so far has refused to sign the treaty. Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird noted that there is a potential link between the treaty and Canada's recently abolished registry of certain types of firearms.

That is the sort of news the ATT's defenders don't want to hear. They are losing the battle in Congress, and the sensible Canadians havenít signed on the grounds that the ATT might be bad for the firearms rights of Canadian citizensóand Canada doesnít even have the Second Amendment to defend.

The Canadian stand shows that it doesn't sign treaties simply to win cheap applause in the U.N. General Assembly. It's a pity the U.S. government wonít take Canadaís principled stand.

Unfortunately, Canada is in the minority: 113 nations already have signed the ATT, and seven have ratified it. The ATT is likely to get the 50 national ratifications it needs to come into force in months.

While Inhofe sees the ATT joining the other bad treaties that are permanently stuck in the Senate's in-basket, Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), ranking member on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, has warned the Obama administration not to try to implement the treaty without the Senate's advice and consent. Both are right.

With the ATT going nowhere in the Senate, the Obama administration is likely to soft-pedal ratification and claim that it can implement the treaty under its existing powers. With the treaty moving towards coming into force abroad, the Senate (and House) should hold hearings if the administration acts on this claim.

As Corker implies, the U.S. should not become a de facto party to the ATT. The only way forward for the treaty is through the Senate. And right now, that way is completely blocked

It seems like a terrible launch of the ACA has Democrat Congress members and Senators walking on egg shells to keep their jobs come next November. I also think this is due to the massive amounts of letters, phone calls, and e-mails from 2nd Amendment supporters let them know exactly how we feel about bending to the will of an utterly useless organization like the U.N.

Keep it up because as I am writing this, you can guarantee someone in D.C. is sitting there with a troubled look on their face thinking of another way to go about turning us all into subjects and, ultimately, victims.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

we need to de-fund the UN. hell were BROKE so why is it the USA ends up stuck with the globes bar tab every time?
    \
    a big fat "F: word to the UN!

Feedback Score

The way it was explained to me, by someone who should know, is that now that John effin Kerry's name is on this POS treaty, it can be reduced to one paragraph, tucked into or on to a farm-aid bill and signed in the middle of the night by people that don't know what they're signing.
    Hunter

Feedback Score

Kerry and Obama went and signed it. They aren't too pleased with Congress. Tough.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Kerry is a friggin traitor!!!
    He musta sided with jane fonda at the Hanoi Hilton.
    Useless POS!!!!
    Good to know the senate has some brains left...
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score

I wouldn't trust Kerry as far as I can throw a battleship in other words! HE A LIER and has been proven many times, they are trying to set up the government for 2016 to wit there will be nothing more than gun grabbing politicians. and speaking of such, Christy of NJ just might as well turn to the Democratic party, Look how far his face is stuck up Obamas ass. He wants a spot in the nest upcoming major league players and to chum it up with the current Pres. is the only way he can do it. The time has come for the American people to take back this country, the politician's seem to forget that they are supposed to be working for the American People. the time has come to send these self righteous a pink slip every one of them and start over with a new government, I believe that in a matter of time what we see on television of citizen's in other countries fighting in the streets for their rights, My question is how long before the violence takes over in our country due to the greedy self righteous politicians we currently have in office, IMPEACH OBAMA NOW AND FIRE ALL MEMBERS OF CONGRESS AND THE SENATE AND START OVER ,AND GET RID OF THAT STUPID ELECTORIAL VOTE!!! ONCE That happens you will see a new America where Citizans will be once again proud to be a citizen of this once great Nation....Doc

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just hope the Senate stands firm in opposition to this latest Obomination!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the way their folding on "obummer-care" --makes me wonder if this ain't a set up for some kind of sneak play like huner said it might be?

that is the problem when dealing with communists there is no such thing as a "bad idea" being over-- they just keep trying to cram it down the citizens throats un till they buy off enough politicians to 'have their way" with the citizens and the constitution.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    the way their folding on "obummer-care" --makes me wonder if this ain't a set up for some kind of sneak play like huner said it might be?

that is the problem when dealing with communists there is no such thing as a "bad idea" being over-- they just keep trying to cram it down the citizens throats un till they buy off enough politicians to 'have their way" with the citizens and the constitution.
    Sort of like the islamic terrorists, they keep on going until they wreck what they've been trying to wreck.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hELL i SORT OF WISH THEY WOULD PASS THIS OR THAT LAW OR TREATY AN TRY TO TAKE GUNS . LET THEM TRY WHILE WE STILL HAVE THEM . IF ITS GOING TO HIT THE FAN LETS GET TO IT . I DONT THINK FOR A SECOND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WILL STAND FOR IT .

WE DON'T LIKE GIVING UP RIGHTS TO FOREIGN COUNTRY'S

LET THE STRAW FALL THAT WILL BREAK THE CAMELS BACK. LETS NOT WAIT ANOTHER 20 YEARS WHEN THERE IS NO AMMO OR GUNS LEFT .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.