Gunco Forums banner

STOCKPILE YOUR AMMO NOW!!! - New EPA Regs Force Last Lead Smelter in US to Close

4K views 61 replies 23 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
STOCKPILE YOUR AMMO NOW WHILE YOU CAN!!! - New EPA Regs Force Last Lead Smelter in USA to Close

New EPA Regs Force Last Lead Smelter in USA to Close

By Nick Leghorn on October 21, 2013

According to TFB, the final source for lead in the United States will be forced to shut down thanks to the new EPA standards that the Obama administration is mandating. Apparently the facility would cost $100 million to bring up to code, and the company that runs it would rather strip the site and sell it than spend the money to refurbish it. From STL Today . . .

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the company “made a business decision” to shut down the smelter instead of installing pollution control technologies needed to reduce sulfur dioxide and lead emissions as required by the Clean Air Act.

The Doe Run Co. announced last year that it had dropped plans to build a new lead processing facility in Herculaneum that would have used a new, cleaner lead production technology. The company cited the $100 million project as too financially risky.
As I said, this was the final lead production facility in the United States. Its location was one of the prime reasons that the Lake City arsenal and other ammunition manufacturers have established themselves nearby, to keep shipping costs down. But with the lead no longer flowing, the next most viable source will be China and require substantially more money to truck overseas for production.

This will also be a big headache for range facilities, since some of them use the reclaimed lead from the dirt berms to pay the bills. There are companies in the United States that will actually pay the range to come in and refurbish their berms, giving them a percentage of the money they make selling the reclaimed lead back to this smelting facility. MCB Quantico operates their ranges this way, closing down once every four years for a re-fit that pays for a lot of the ranges’ services. Now that they will need to ship that lead overseas before it is processed, that will make the whole business more expensive and might drive up range fees.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the price of ammunition jumps as well. Heck, this might even kick off a second ammo shortage if things go badly.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...orce-last-lead-smelter-usa-close/#more-266819

Black Blade: I am already stocked up but those who aren't the writing may already be on the wall. We know that the Obamunists hate guns and gunowners. What better way to restrict arms than to cause ammo prices to soar with yet another ammo shortage.

See less See more
#32 ·
Yup,,,Penut Butter,,make's them ,,buelts,, slide down the bore better,,,:smilie_sc

Not being a metallurgist I put down the incorrect symbol,,close enough so,, MOST GOT IT,,,,,:lol::lol:

That's what I love about this place,,,,

NEVER AT A LOSS FOR SMART ASS'S,,,,Gezzzzzzz

#33 ·
Look in ur yellow pages at pharmacies. Spot one that has nuclear in the name .they have to get the radioactive material shipped in lead.used to pay somebody to take it off their hands .been casting bp slugs out of it for years. No probs except for that extra finger growing out of my left ear

#35 ·
Last US lead smelter closure highlights need to rescind bullet material limits

Snippit:

With last month's announcement that the Doe Run Company will be closing its lead smelting operation in Herculaneum, Missouri in December, America will lose its last primary lead smelter (there are still some domestic secondary smelting operations, that recycle used lead, but refining lead-bearing ore into lead bullion will be a thing of the past in the U.S.). Doe Run is closing the operation because compliance with new EPA regulations would require a $100,000,000 investment--more than the company is willing to risk.

This could carry dire consequences with regard to availability and price of ammunition, prompting some to speculate that the anti-gun Obama administration's EPA is motivated less by the claimed concern for "cleaner air" than by desire to squeeze private gun ownership from a new, less obvious angle.

Perhaps, perhaps not, but regardless, the squeeze is likely to be felt quite keenly by gun owners. All the more keenly because of longstanding federal law banning the use of many other materials in the construction of bullets used in "handgun ammunition." If lead is unavailable/unaffordable (and now verboten, to California hunters), and if a great many other possible bullet materials are illegal, the remaining options are both few and of limited utility.

And that means that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can, if it chooses, ban bullets made with tungsten alloys, steel, brass, etc., in virtually every caliber. It is hardly difficult to imagine the BATFE, especially under an administration like this one, choosing to do precisely that.

Continued: http://www.examiner.com/article/las...lights-need-to-rescind-bullet-material-limits

Black Blade: The one to watch out for is the EPA. No oversight and they are free to run amok trampling individual rights and dieregard private property onwership.

#36 ·
Allen West warns Obama’s ‘backdoor gun control is moving forward.'

Come 2014, all ammunition sold to civilian gun-owners in America will have to be imported, a result of President Obama’s crackdown on sulfur dioxide and lead emissions and accompanying harsh Environmental Protection Agency regulations, said former Florida congressman, Lt. Col. Allen West.

And for defenders of the Second Amendment, that means higher ammo prices are likely on the way — a situation Mr. Allen writes on his blog, AllenBWest.com, is akin to a federal power-grab on guns, albeit through the backdoor.

The situation stemmed from the shutdown of The Doe Run Lead Smelter in Missouri, a business that’s been around since 1892 but due to close at the end of this month. Mr. West said it’s due to new air standards placed on the company that would have cost $100 million to achieve. The significance is that Doe Run was the last lead smelting plant in the country — leaving America no choice but to turn to overseas operations to produce lead bullets.

“[This] will surely increase the price and possibly come under government control,” Mr. West warned, Breitbart.com reported. “It seems this is fully in concert with the U.S. Military and Homeland Defense recent purchase of large quantities of ammunition.”

He said the “chilling effect” is that while the closure of the smelt plant doesn’t take guns out of the hands of Americans, it does put in jeopardy ammunition supplies.

“You can own all the guns you want, but if you can’t get ammo, you are out of luck,” Mr. West wrote, on his blog. “Remember when President Obama promised his minions that he was working on gun control behind the scenes? Welcome to it. The result is that all domestically mined ore will have to be shipped overseas, refined and then shipped back to the U.S.”

Mr. West warned: “Not only will ammo be even harder to come by, the demand and the process of supply will cause the price to skyrocket even more. And ponder this, there is an excellent chance that Obama will rig the market to where all ammo has to be purchased from the government, instituting an ammo registration. … So America, back door gun control is moving forward … [and] our Second Amendment rights are undergoing an assault by clandestine infiltration.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ns-obamas-backdoor-gun-control/#ixzz2mLojOp7H

Black Blade: Well stocked myself. "Buy It Cheap and Stack It Deep"

#37 ·
CAR BATTERIES USE ABOUT 1000% MORE LEAD THAN BULLET MAKERS USE . SO DOES THIS MEAN WERE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET CAR BATTERIES??????

THAT PLANT HAS BEEN IN TROUBLE FOR A LONG LONG TIME . I SEROUSLY DOUBT ITS A ANT GUNERS CONSPIRACY.

WILL AMMO GO UP IN PRICE? SURE IT WILL BUT I DONT GET WERE ALL THIS YOU WILL NEED TO BUY FROM THE GOVERNMENT BS IS COMING FORM ?

ALL THIS INTERNET THE SKY IS FALLING BS IS HURT GUN OWNERS MORE THAN OBAMA . EVERTIME THERE IS AS INTERNET AN MEDA FEED FRENZY EVER WANABE PREPEPER GOES NUTS AN BUYS ALL THE AMMO AN THAT MAKES IT SCARCE AN DRIVES UP THE PRICE . ITS HOARDERS THAT HAVE MADE AMMO SCARCE NOT THE GOVERNMENT .

OH KNOW A LEAD SMELTER HAS SHUT DOWN EVERY ONE PANIC AN BUY AMMO THEY LIKELY WILL NEVER NEED. JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE PANIC .

#38 ·
Holy SHIT! 1biggun you and I agree on something. It is entirely obvious that there is an agenda to keep us wound up, worried, and to create more panic buying, more hoarding, and more shortages, all in the name of being prepared. While in reality all it does is make it harder on everyone by limiting availability of ammunition and raising the price. Fine work conspiracy nuts, you have played right into their hands, once again.

#39 ·
It's the last primary lead smelter in the US and shipping concentrates adds cost to products with lead components. Marginal decreases in supply can bring dramatic prices increases. Foreign materials can be effectively banned by the prez with a stroke of the pen (one of the few real presidential powers). Not that all this really matters much to me as I have several hundread thousand rounds (I suspect much more but who's counting). As long as I have a couple lifetime supplies socked away then I am not worried about my needs for the rest of my life. Those who fail to prep have been warned so screw them. I figure the EPA will eventually push through a ban on lead ammo at some point (it's for the environment and birds ya know).

Sorry Biggun, I skip your posts because the all caps is just too annoying for me to read.

#41 ·
Come 2014, all ammunition sold to civilian gun-owners in America will have to be imported,..............that means higher ammo prices are likely on the way — a situation Mr. Allen writes on his blog,
I think that's strange, imported ammo has always been cheaper then a lot of ammo made here, the down side is a lot of the import ammo isn't reloadable because of Berden primers or steel cases.

#42 ·
http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/.223%2F5.56

I know Wolf ammo. I use it, got good reports and bad. But hell it goes bang... Keep in mind last Nappy Head and crew panic, it was up to a $1,000 a case.. C&D..
I have been re-loading .45 acp.. To old for that front line grunt stuff, you youngguns are in charge now.. Think I have about 3,000 .45s reloaded..
Advantages being old.. Sit in the kitchen with the women, read the maps, get on the radio and ask how you guys are doing out there.
Bad guys come within 50 feet, my .45 comes out.. Hell that is all yah need, a good John Moses Browning .45.
Think he invented it, right?

#43 ·
Foreign materials can be effectively banned by the prez with a stroke of the pen (one of the few real presidential powers).
So the president is going to stop lead from coming into the county?? I doubt it .

Yes bullet costs may go up so will battery any thing made of brass ( brass has lead in it ) .

every time you see a electic fork lift they have about 2000 to - 4000 pounds of lead in them . so I guess if lead is banned anything that is loaded on a truck from a ware house will need to be handled by hand LOL .

If the prersident were to ban lead importation then a lot of things would change an a lot of it would have a lot more impact than the cost of bullets .

the biggest reason ammo is expensive rigth now is Preppers, Zombie huners , mall ninjas .

Is there going to be a revolt or disater or or invasion or Nucular attack ? Mayybe . Im not going to spend most of my pay check an my time worriyng about the off chance ill need 5000 rounds of ammo to wage a personal war on what ever is going to happen I have better things to do . I dont need enought ammo for every person on my street . The odds your going to be able to use any of it if some thing happens are about 1000-1 . you most likely wiull be dead like every one else an if you do open fire then then you will be likely killed any way . IMO IMO.

I have enough ammo to go hunting an do most of my recreatioal shooting . IM going to worry about my mortager an food an they to have soem food an stuff stored . this notion you need 100 guns for the future is sort of silly . Im going to be worreid about carrying one or two guns an what ever ammo I can carry if I got to bail.

I have no Illusions of being in a bunker fighting off zombies or Chinese or what ever . If It were to happen they would just bomb me.

I could not stock up on ammo If I wanted to I cant afford it any more because hoarders have driven the prices an availability beyond what I an most can afford .

apparently every one feels they need 500,000 rounds of 22 lr an 9mm for every family member .

Is the sky is falling crap like this that is hurting every one . If you got the money to have bunker houses in several parts of the country an 500 guns an millions of rounds of ammo great . the rest of the world dosent . during the last gun rush I see guys missing tere mortgage an car payments to buys a stupid AR 15 for $2000 . the same gun is $600 today .

WE WOULD ALL LIKE TO THINK WERE GOING TO BE LIKE THE GUYS IN RED DAWN BUT IT A PIPE DREAM IN REALITY .

I HIPE BULLET PRICES DONT GO UP TO MUCH FROMTHE SMELTER SHUT DOWN . I SUSPECT A AMMO RUSH WILL DRIVE PRICES UP 1000% MORE THAN THE COST OF IMPORTING LEAD .

#45 ·
Now don't get me wrong if prepping is what your into an you can afford it then be my guest . Im not slamming BlackBlade here he has his way of life an from what I have read over the years can afford it an still do other things .

If there is never a SHTF situation I bet every thing he has is still worth more than he paid for it an is still good to have . I hope he never has to use all that stuff an I suspect he does to .

I would love to have a ton or two of ammo an all that stuff but I have to eat today first.

an he is right ammo will likey go up an he may be right the government will try some sort of ammo restrictions some day .

I cant afford any thing right now so its a mute point, I do wish guys would relax a bit an let ammo sit onthe shelves a few days so things will calm down .

I dont trust my goverment but I dont necessary fear it to the point that I think there going to come take me away . I do think there need to be some serious changes. I cant do a whole lot really any way .

I have a bug out bag/ pack for me an my son I have a Arms for each an ammo . I am going to assume if SHTF that I wont be able to stay in my home an that id have likley move . I can only carry so much an lets face it there wont be gas after a couple days so you better be able to pack what you need . Id like to have a few hundred gallons of gas on rotation plan so its always fresh an I have room for a tank . A LP generator to run off my big lp tank would be nice. even a Ice storm here in WI could bring us to our knees . I have o dreams of surviving more than a few months if SHTF on what I have currently .

al l this Ill hunt for food is BS IMO . the deer hreard an every othr thing would be wiped out in a few monthes if every one here in this state had to hnt for food as many do already . yea you might be able to gat a deer or two before thrre gonebut you better havre away to can or jerk it or keep it usable with out electricity .

I have no real game plan an I should . Im not dismissing every thing here I just dont think the lead smelting shut down is a gun grab plan. Its obvious they had issues for a very long time . I dont know how serious there violations are but lets be honest we only have one world an we have screwed it up a lot in the last 125 years .

#48 ·
4th. Only 20 cases of beer?:scared:something happens before I croak my main concern would be the medications I need to take now I'm old. A 1000rds of 22 (got it) will get you through a lot. My little marlin bolt action takes care of pretty much everything .got the 45 too and 44 for bear.hell if the shtf I might come come down to visit. Bring my own beer we could sit on the porch and bs and wait for the zombie/what ever and have a cool one while our wives chitchat!

#49 ·
stalker your right. In thinking abut it, 20 cases is not near enough.. On the way too the store today to buy more.
But sure you bet, that is why .22 ammo disappeared. Hell not enough profit in production and people grabbed it up.
I think also we will import lead.. Used in to many things, from fishing weights to car batteries I guess?
My guess, follow the money, hell our Govt. did not close that plant for our health. Putting EPA restrictions on it, like yeah they really give a frig if we live or die..
Bet, one of the scum doggies in D.C. got a nice gig going on importing lead from foreign sources.. That plant had to go.. That was the only production facility interfering with their importing profits..

#51 ·
most of us haven't shot up the ammo we bought back in the 80s-90s yet so it ain't like were going to get caught flat footed if the big "O" and co do something stupid with the law.

if the EPA is allowed to ban lead --that will just be another stupid move among the many.

#55 ·
The differences are obvious. I just found it funny that we agreed on 3 posts you made here.

To quote Forrest Gump "No Sir, we are not relation."

#53 ·
I agree some ammo needs to be gotten when the getting is good . I wish I had gotten 20 cases of 7.62x25 I did not have the cash I have 5 guns that shoot it an about 1000 rounds left . Thats a days shooting if I get all the guns out an let friends join in . it was 9 cents a round now its like 50 cents If you can find any surplus.

stuff like 22 lr an 30-06 hunting ammo an even 9mm is goign to keep getting made guys just need to relax an let it fill the shelves back up . this artificial demand is killing every one . I have found one box of 333 22lr in 8 months . in the man time some other clown thinks he needs a million rounds an never shoots his gun . then you got the walmart stalkers who are there every morning to buy an resell on gunbroker .

If you want to be prepared for the long haul you should be investing in powder , primers an bullets an some brass. with .223. an 30 cal i can load for about 75% of my rifles . add some 6mm an id be pretty set . Id recomend to learn to cast ( I dont yet ) an start collecting used lead . It obviously going to go up .

but as i said hey if you can afford it then great . Id love to buy a few thousand rounds of 7.62x54r I have 5 guns that shoto it an maybe 20 rounds of ammo to my name . LOL the thing is i have no real need for the 5 guns any way so ammo has not been a priority . I wish I had stocked up on 30 carbine ammo years ago an of course 50,000 rounds of x39 when it was $60 per 1000. Back then $60 was an tll is a lot of cash to just have in stuff sitting around .

#54 ·
I've got a tin (not for sale) of 762x25.just looking around locally for a tok at the right price.hell to have ammo you don't have the guns for and guns you don't have ammo for! 303 in my case. Enfield jungle carbine.(nfs) either.

#57 ·
Biggun you gotta go to fla.on a beer run let me know! Haven't been there since the 80's.good grief the vehicle would be dragging the ground with guns and ammo. And beer!
I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE . I GOT STRANDED IN WI AFTER HAVING A KID AN THEN A DIVORCE :( I HAVE SEEN MOST OF THE NORTHERN STATES AN EVERYTHING FROM SAINT LEWIS UP.

IF 4TH KEEPS TALKING TRASH IM GOING TO COME DOWN THERE AN GET HIS ASS DRUNK. LOL

#58 ·
4th starts happy hour around 5PM until what ever, he has a nice place for company if you visit, & if you can find his home next to the swamp, and vivacious young things across the canal to tantalize single men. Don't ask me how I know. Just make sure you have a fishing license and you'll be set biggun.

#61 ·
Frogman Yo my Bro.. Your alive..:wave::nanabang: I called over your way to see when your funeral was. You were not posting..
Honest to God called a funeral home, they gave me a public listing on a name associated with yours.. Guess your Son answered.. Gave me the scoop, damn glad your alive..
Hell yeah, guest house tree house is not being used.. 555th almost made it here, other members have been here.
Friday going too Deland to start my second childhood. Flight training.. Flight school over their for us Senior, crippled old used up Vets.. No SOLO. Just the thrill of take off, landing, and flying..
Here is my first go round.. Swear to God I will do better next trip.. Ah hell they have insurance..
[video=youtube;qww_LrMoUY4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qww_LrMoUY4[/video]
ADD: Sorry BB. Off topic a bit here. My Bad..

#60 ·
If going to 4th's place make sure to not ask any of the local deputies for directions to the town, they'll turn you around and tell you not to go. :lol: Besides first time I went their I swore I heard the dualing banjos from deliverance. The only thing that saved me was having Alabama plates on my vehicle. :wow: :trulies:

Of course once I made it to 4ths place I knew I was safe, I even thought I was going to get to ride on the golf cart with the Mayor of Astor. :nanabang: :nanabang: :lildevil: :lildevil: :hatprop:

Now if 4th takes you for a boat ride to one of the local areas, just remember what happens at Silver Glen, stays at Silver Glen.... :naughty: :naughty: :woot: :nanabang: :nanabang: :whisker: :whisker: :lildevil: :lildevil: :bolt:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.