Gunco Forums banner

STOCKPILE YOUR AMMO NOW!!! - New EPA Regs Force Last Lead Smelter in US to Close

4K views 61 replies 23 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
STOCKPILE YOUR AMMO NOW WHILE YOU CAN!!! - New EPA Regs Force Last Lead Smelter in USA to Close

New EPA Regs Force Last Lead Smelter in USA to Close

By Nick Leghorn on October 21, 2013

According to TFB, the final source for lead in the United States will be forced to shut down thanks to the new EPA standards that the Obama administration is mandating. Apparently the facility would cost $100 million to bring up to code, and the company that runs it would rather strip the site and sell it than spend the money to refurbish it. From STL Today . . .

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the company “made a business decision” to shut down the smelter instead of installing pollution control technologies needed to reduce sulfur dioxide and lead emissions as required by the Clean Air Act.

The Doe Run Co. announced last year that it had dropped plans to build a new lead processing facility in Herculaneum that would have used a new, cleaner lead production technology. The company cited the $100 million project as too financially risky.
As I said, this was the final lead production facility in the United States. Its location was one of the prime reasons that the Lake City arsenal and other ammunition manufacturers have established themselves nearby, to keep shipping costs down. But with the lead no longer flowing, the next most viable source will be China and require substantially more money to truck overseas for production.

This will also be a big headache for range facilities, since some of them use the reclaimed lead from the dirt berms to pay the bills. There are companies in the United States that will actually pay the range to come in and refurbish their berms, giving them a percentage of the money they make selling the reclaimed lead back to this smelting facility. MCB Quantico operates their ranges this way, closing down once every four years for a re-fit that pays for a lot of the ranges’ services. Now that they will need to ship that lead overseas before it is processed, that will make the whole business more expensive and might drive up range fees.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the price of ammunition jumps as well. Heck, this might even kick off a second ammo shortage if things go badly.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...orce-last-lead-smelter-usa-close/#more-266819

Black Blade: I am already stocked up but those who aren't the writing may already be on the wall. We know that the Obamunists hate guns and gunowners. What better way to restrict arms than to cause ammo prices to soar with yet another ammo shortage.

See less See more
#3 ·
BB,

im with you on this one.... just another reason to raise ammo prices...

not to worry they are melting all kinds of lead in russia...

#9 ·
That being the case I guess I'd better get the rest of that sailboat keel I'd picked up part of last year. I thought about 600 lbs would be plenty, but maybe I'll stockpile that too,,,,,600lbs may not be enough after all! That's not really all that much in the grand scheme of things when you figure an average 50 box of larger centerfire rifle rounds are about 3-4 lbs each.

#10 ·
Have we had an endrun around the 2nd amendment

libertyfederation.com / by National Liberty Federation / October 30, 2013

(Gulagbound.com) There are numerous alarming reasons why the US government and the military have been buying up all the ammo. Here’s one of them. Obama and the EPA just shut down the last lead smelting plant in the US. They raised the EPA regulations by 10 fold and it would have cost the plant $100 million to comply. You can own all the guns you want, but if you can’t get ammo, you are out of luck.

Remember when Obama promised his minions that he was working on gun control behind the scenes? Welcome to it. Now, all domestic mined lead ore will have to be shipped overseas, refined and then shipped back to the US. Not only will ammo now be even harder to come by, the demand and the process of supply will cause the price to skyrocket even more. And ponder this… there is an excellent chance that Obama will rig the market to where all ammo has to be purchased from a government entity instituting de facto ammo registration. So much for the Second Amendment. There has not been a peep about this in the major news outlets and it is done. With the US no longer producing lead, all supplies will now have to come from China, Australia or Peru, with the overwhelming emphasis on China. More redistribution of wealth; more economic and liberty crippling of the US on tap.

READ MORE

#11 ·
doe run's epa troubles span nearly a decade. this really isnt new, it was just matter of time before they upgraded or shut down this smelter. so this is more bush's fault in reality.

also they are still many secondary lead smelters (recyclers) in operation in the US. this was the last primary (lead ore from the ground into ingots).

#14 ·
Geezus, ammo is finally coming back and prices are dropping...so HEY! let's create another panic and hoarder buying bull shit so the prices rise and availability drops off once again.

#18 ·
Gov Targets Ammo Supply Lines: Prices to Rise Sharply As America’s Last Lead Supplier Calls It Quits

shtfplan.com / By Mac Slavo / November 1st, 2013

A couple of years ago we opined that the anti-gun establishment had found a loophole for the Second Amendment and that rather than targeting the banning of all firearms, they would instead turn their attention to ammunition.

The government’s most recent efforts to reduce open market availability through taxation, individual purchase restrictions and a massive stockpiling effort by the Department of Homeland Security has forced ammunition prices to nearly triple, while also dwindling supplies of many popular calibers.

But they’re not done yet.

In fact, they may have finally found a way to circumvent U.S.-based domestic production altogether.

The all-out attack on Americans’ gun rights is now being taken to the next level.

The goal is to regulate all forms of ammunition out of existence, and they’re starting with Doe Run, which is the last of America’s domestic lead processing and manufacturing facilities.

READ MORE

#20 ·
If it is still available I could probably supply everyone here in the forum with lead for free if the rest of that keel is still kicking around where I used to work, I only cut off maybe 1/6 of it,,it was huge and must weight several tons. I only took about 600 lbs of it, and that was just a small chunk out of it. That thing must be 7' tall and average 4' wide and a foot thick at least, I'm sure it weights right up there,,,

For most it would cost an arm and a leg for me to ship and wouldn't be cost effective at all. Better start scrounging your local junk yards for PB before ya can't find that either,,,Gezzz,,it's always something,,,,

#22 ·
As I said in my previous post. The Doe Run smelter that is closing has been in trouble with the EPA for about a decade due to lead emission levels. The company that operates it made the decision to close the facility rather than upgrade it.

Now it is true that this happens to be the last primary smelter in operation in the US, which processes raw lead ore straight from the ground it is far from the last lead smelter in operation in the united states as there are many secondary smelters that process lead into lead products.

Sierra bullets has already made a statement that they don't believe the closure of the doe run primary smelting facility will have any impact on their ability to make and sell their product.

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/sierra-responds-how-will-the-closure-of-the-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/

This facility was old and in need of an upgrade. If there was a nuclear power plant down the road from your house spewing radiation into the air I bet you would want scrubber on their exhaust pipes too. Unfortunately their does not seem to be enough profit involved for the company to upgrade or build a new facility, and profit is what all private companies operate on if you can believe that....

#23 ·
I got my first LEE electric lead pot back in 87 when I was scattergunman. I started casting 12ga slugs for target shooting and blowin stuff up. Gave the 10lb pot to my brother in 2004 and got LEEs 20lb lead pot.

#25 ·
YEA iM SURE OBAMA PLANED THIS 20 YEARS AGO . MORE TINE FOIL BS IMO

AS MENTIONED ABOVE THE COMPANY HAS HAD ISSUES FOR A LONG LONG TIME .

i SUSPECT CAR BATTERY COMPANY'S USE ABOUT 10,000% MORE LEAD THAN BULLET MAKERS SO IF ANY THING IS GOING TO BE AFFECTED ITS BATTERIES AN STUFF LIKE THAT . OF COURSE THIS ALL A GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY TO HURT GUN OWNERS. :sick:

#26 ·
I was an office manager in a nuclear pharmacy their products were shipped in lead.happy to give their containers away. Check one out in ur area.use mine for black powder casting since its pure soft lead no antimony.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.