Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Police firing GPS tracking 'bullets' at cars during chases

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    At least it's not a drone....that would be the last straw!!
    The way the police are being "militarized" it's only a matter of time. Lots of Surplus Drones will become available in the future. Will go well with the Police MRAPs, APCs and other combat gear. Wait and see.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You can run but you cannot hide, yikes! Thanks for the link.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jfreakofkorn View Post
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...uring-chases/#!

Car chases are exciting, but fraught.

One slip of the wheel, one errant pedestrian, one drunken driver, and difficult consequences may follow.

Police in Iowa and Florida, however, seem to have taken the counsel of Q from the "Bond" movies.

Car chases are exciting, but fraught.

One slip of the wheel, one errant pedestrian, one drunken driver, and difficult consequences may follow.

Police in Iowa and Florida, however, seem to have taken the counsel of Q from the "Bond" movies.

Instead of constantly hurtling after potential madmen, they have found an entirely new method of tracking their cars.

It's called Starchase. Essentially, it's a cannon that fires "bullets" that are sticky GPS devices.

CBS 12 offered an example in real life of how it's done.

Iowa state trooper Tim Sieleman seemed rather mesmerized. He told CBS 12: "If you had told me 16 years ago that I would have had a cannon on the front of my car, I wouldn't have believed it."

The officer in the driver's seat presses one button, the grill opens, and the gun fires the bullet.

If all goes well, the bullet, with a GPS device enclosed, sticks to the back of the car being pursued.

Once it does, the officer can slow down, because the suspect's car will be tracked along the computer screen.

One further advantage, of course, is that the suspect's car will likely feel the police have given up and hopefully slow down.

This seems so blindingly intelligent -- at least until miscreants catch on -- that there can't be a drawback.

There is one. The system costs $5,000, and each bullet sets the taxpayer back $500.

As usual, a wise accountant and a conscientious bureaucrat will huddle together to see if it's all worth it.

However, for the passerby, won't it be fun to see police car grills open up and bullets being shot out of them?
    I seen a Iowa State Trooper demo this on the local news a few nights ago, but they reported it cost $5000 per shot.
    No matter. The tax payer will get fucked on this, just the same as when they legalized gambling and promised the funds would go help fund schools and education.
    I am glad they didn't have this 33 years ago though.
    They didn't catch me, but found out who I was. Not good!
    I still remember the Jones Co. judge that wanted to put me in prison, but couldn't because I was only 14 at the time.
    Things sure have changed since then.
    Last edited by gwailo; 10-31-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added info
    HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score

Interesting, I had not heard that the Troopers had this in Iowa. Bad part is now every Sheriff is going to feel the need to have these as well and that the tax payers should pay for their latest new toy that they have to have in the name of public safety...99 Counties in Iowa.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by booger hooker View Post
    Interesting, I had not heard that the Troopers had this in Iowa. Bad part is now every Sheriff is going to feel the need to have these as well and that the tax payers should pay for their latest new toy that they have to have in the name of public safety...99 Counties in Iowa.
    I think only a few HP cars have this so far, but I can see the sheriff's wanting this also.
    99 counties X at least 10 cars per county = 999 units + ammo.

999 X $5000 + $500 per shot = a boat load of money for the tax payer.
    Oh, I forgot training classes to use the damn thing. $$$$$
    HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

so why does it cost $500 or $5000 to make tracking device that likely costs $50 or less to make stick to a car?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.