Thread: Ol' Skool V SinglePoint Sling ???

Feedback Score

Default Ol' Skool V SinglePoint Sling ???

Gentlemen, when did AR/sling training change? When I was introduced to AR shooting, we all looked like Gunny Highway with our upper right arm parallel to the ground and the right elbow sticking waaayyy out. Now I see a faggy looking hold on the weapon and it looks like the shooter is holding a screwed-up looking purse.
    I know what I can do slung up proper or with a ChingSling but can't imagine hitting anything out past 125 with that new setup.
    Anybody been trained properly in both?
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Single point for cqb real two point for distance.I'm set for single point cause where I live.hundred yards max twenty feet minimum. Depends on your ao I guess.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Then again most of mags on my ar are 20 rounders so I can get as low to the ground as possible.

Feedback Score

Glad you asked this Hunter.

Like Stalker said, single-point is used for simple weapon retention in a CQB/Urban environment. It serves no purpose to increasing accuracy or anything just simply to make sure if you let go of your gun it doesn't fall to the floor.

In the USMC we were originally trained with the loop-sling (same concept of the ching-sling) to stabilize the weapon. Nowadays there is the other option of the adjustable two-point sling. Vickers, Viking Tactical, Ares Armor, etc... make variations of these. The idea is a sling the serves for weapon manipulation in various environments that can be held in the control-carry (muzzle to the deck) the single-point and three-point slings provide but with the ability to quickly tighten the sling into a more stable shooting position.

The faggy-looking carry is the control carry mentioned above because currently we are trained to drive the gun into shooting position from the low ready whereas in the past it was from the high ready.

Here are photos just because I think they are hilariously bad.

High Ready
    Name:  index.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  8.8 KB

Low Ready
    Name:  lr.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  9.1 KB

But yeah you get the idea. You can still find all these sling variations on USMC rifle qualifying ranges though. So the concept isn't dead it is just specific to the environment.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Damn I remember that DI's yelling shotgun that weapon.we'd pop it open pull the bolt/carrier out while they ran a cleaning rod up it

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I tried the single point sling carry, damn weapon kept bouncing off my cajones. I heaved the sling, maybe I had it set up wrong?
    Vertical hold on the weapon, like Abukai is somewhat demonstrating. Was shown to me by a retired SWAT Officer.
    Asked why I see the young guns carrying their weapons, with the butt of the weapon over and above their shoulder? So he took me on a house clearing scenario.
    With my weapon straight out, he got behind the wall and easily grabbed it.. Vertical, it gave me time to step back and take control of the situation..
    Like Abukai is saying. Depends on the environment.. Waling in the open or in a jungle, fine, keep the weapon horizontal.. But clearing buildings, like the young guns are doing in the Middle East. Depends for sure on the situation. But vertical could be good so someone can not grab the weapon..
    I do not like slings. Just something more to catch on things.. Have them on weapons for show, but in a real life situation. No slings for me..
    Never ever separate yourself from your weapon in Injun territory. Never.. Don't ask me how I know.. Thank God I was able to run at 3,275 FPS..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Crap I forgot the other reason for no two point on the ar.they would flex and. Throw ur groups off..sorry my head has busting from sinus pressure the last week or so. Er visit seems to be helping. Hope I spelled every thing close enough. They. Gave me a good combo in the last shots

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

BTW my wife is in charge of home defense tonight. I would probably be out there chasing squirrels with my k bar based on what they shot me with at the er to break this headache up!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Myself for hunting I always use a 2 point sling and have that on both my Sig AR and Bushmaster. The Sig has the socket type QD sling mount also and I do occasionally use that, but not normally, but not when I'm on a serious hunt. Otherwise it's the 2 point with my arm set through it ready to be nice and tight to stabilize the gun when I pull up.

I do carry my AR platforms like they do nowadays though, but with out the single point attached. I've found you can get on target pretty damn fast that way if you need to take a quick shot at something. Plus you can carry it all day long and not get as tired doing it. That is a good carry method IMO.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.