Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Default Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks

Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks
    Chairman Guido Barilla causes outrage in Italy after saying he would not consider using a gay family to advertise his products

Lizzy Davies in Rome
    theguardian.com, Thursday 26 September 2013 12.36 EDT

Barilla
    Guido Barilla is accused by Aurelio Mancuso, chairman of Equality Italia, of being deliberately provocative. Photograph: Frank Augsteinb/AP

Gay rights activists in Italy have launched a boycott of the world's leading pasta maker after its chairman said he would only portray the "classic family" in his advertisements and, if people objected to that, they should feel free to eat a different kind of pasta.

Guido Barilla, who controls the fourth-generation Barilla Group family business with his two brothers, sparked outrage among activists, consumers and some politicians when he said he would not consider using a gay family to advertise Barilla pasta.

"For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the basic values of the company," he told Italian radio on Wednesday evening. "I would not do it but not out of a lack of respect for homosexuals who have the right to do what they want without bothering others [but] I don't see things like they do and I think the family that we speak to is a classic family."

Asked what effect he thought his attitude would have on gay consumers of pasta, Barilla said: "Well, if they like our pasta and our message they will eat it; if they don't like it and they don't like what we say they will eat another."

In response, Aurelio Mancuso, chairman of Equality Italia, accused Barilla of being deliberately provocative. "Accepting the invitation of Barilla's owner to not eat his pasta, we are launching a boycott campaign against all his products," he added.

Within hours, the hashtag 'boicotta-barilla' was trending on Twitter. The Barilla chairman issued a statement saying that he was sorry if his remarks had caused offence and that he had only been trying to draw attention to the "central role" played by women within the family.

"I apologise if my words generated misunderstandings or arguments, or if they offended the sensibilities of some people," he said.

The interview started by asking Barilla what he thought of an appeal made on Tuesday by the speaker of the lower house of parliament, Laura Boldrini, to change the often stereotypical image of women in Italian advertisements.

"There are some adverts which, when I see them, I think, 'but would this advert be broadcast in other countries? In the United Kingdom would this advert be broadcast?" said Boldrini. "And the answer is certainly not. An advert in which the children and father are all sitting down and the mother is serving at the table cannot be accepted as normal."

Barilla responded by saying Boldrini did not understand the advertising world and women were fundamental to adverts.

He went on to discuss gay rights, saying that he "respected everyone" and was in favour of gay marriage, but against gay adoption.

The remarks provoked anger among many of the politicians who are trying to pass legislation against homophobic crimes.

The country, on whose politics the Catholic church has long exerted a conservative influence, lags behind many other European countries on gay rights. Far from moving towards the legalisation of gay marriage, Italy still does not recognise same-sex civil unions.

Alessandro Zen, an MP for the opposition Left Ecology Freedom party, said: "Here is another example of Italian homophobia. I am taking part in the [Barilla] boycott and invite other MPs at least those who are not resigning to do the same."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...la-boycott-gay
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

And to show the latest about this:
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/04/news...lla-diversity/

Barilla launches diversity board after exec's anti-gay remarks
    By Blake Ellis @blakeellis3 November 4, 2013: 4:02 PM ET
    guido barilla diversity

Barilla President Guido Barilla lit a firestorm in September when he said his company would not feature same-sex couples in its ads because he prefers the "traditional family."
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
    Italian pasta maker Barilla is continuing to do damage control after its president came under fire for anti-gay remarks he made in September.

The company announced Monday it is creating a new "diversity & inclusion board," which will bring in outside experts and advocates to help the company "establish concrete goals and strategies for improving diversity and equality in the company's workforce and culture." David Mixner, a well-known gay rights advocate, has already joined the board.

It also appointed its first chief diversity officer and it said it will participate in the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, which rates companies on how friendly their corporate policies are to LGBT employees.

Related: Apple CEO argues for workplace protections

In September, Barilla President Guido Barilla said in a radio interview that he wouldn't feature same-sex couples in his company's commercials because he prefers the "traditional" family -- sparking many LGBT groups and customers to boycott Barilla products. He has apologized multiple times since then, and he even met with LGBT groups to try to repair some of the damage.
    Same-sex couple: 'Freedom is priceless'
    Same-sex couple: 'Freedom is priceless'

The new diversity initiatives announced Monday are in response to what he learned in those meetings, along with comments and criticism the company received from customers, Barilla said.

Related: Find out if a company shares your values

"As a socially responsible company that serves and respects diverse consumers, we know we have to expand our commitment," a Barilla spokesman said in a statement. "Our goal is to do better by becoming a global corporate citizen and leader in diversity and inclusion, internally and externally."
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

sooo.... they caved ?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Unfortunately it looks like they caved. But it does seem the second article didn't mention anything about them using same sex couples in the adverts, so I hope that part of it doesn't change.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I guess it comes down to who their customer base consists of and who they target sales toward. I suspect that gay lifestyles aren't a large component of their spaghetti sauce sales but what do I know. I don't consume their products anyway and if they do target advertizing toward gays it wouldn't exactly make me want to run to the local grocery store to buy their products. In fact I may even be less likely to buy their products being a classical family values kind of guy. Maybe they have a large gay customer base and I just am unaware of it. Still, not sure what being a homosexual or advertizing using homosexual actors has to do with spaghetti sauce unless they are trying for a small "niche" market as it were.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I eat this brand of pasta and will continue
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Hey Guido. If you cave in, make sure you explain to your Mama what these perverts are going to do after they eat dinner.
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i don't know-- if i buy some pasta is that supporting the gay rights movement or not?

IF buying pasta pisses off the gays i'll stock up-- but if they embrace the gay agenda -- i think i will pass on buying any--LOL

hell a man can't even buy groceries today without offending some gay A-hole-- what is the world coming to?

Feedback Score

Well, I hapen to love Barilla pasta so they won't be losing me as a customer!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "limp noodle". They eat it with cream of sumyunguy sauce.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.