Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tribute to those that have served

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have been doing some family history recording lately and still have a few relatives to add to the family tree, but I'm having a hard time finding info on those I don't have info on. Those I've been looking for were born in the late 1700's /early 1800's and some of that info is pretty hard to find. I have only found one birth and one death record for the 2 primary ones I'm still investigating. I've not been able to find any other info on them so far. The Town Hall in the town they both lived in was destroyed by a fire many years ago and I've kinda run into a dead end on them so far. I also found some other relatives that I didn't even know I was related to from my search's.

Good for you hunter-02, I've done the same before too, it's a good feeling ain't it?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

twa. Camp Eagle now is a huge field. "101st Eagle Dust-Off Fred" just got back from a tour. Their getting ready to build hotels and a full resort there.. I will get some picts. from Fred if my brain lets me remember..

hunter good Man.. Chosin Uncle Marv with his friend and Flag Raiser Iwo Jima, Mr. Bradley "Flags of our Fathers". Antigo Wisconsin. Marv, now passed was 17 at the Chosin..
    I did the parade with his jeeps at Appelton.. Quite a gathering of good Americans.. I may invite A&E to the next one..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tribute to those that have served-marv-bradley-001.jpg  

Tribute to those that have served-marv-bradley-002.jpg  

"Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

My dad was a Forward Observer (FO) in the Quang Tri area '68 & '69. He was in country 4 weeks when they told him there was a cease fire for Tet. I have nothing but respect for you guys. He recentlywent to my Marine Corps Ball and it wasfunny watching my buddies try to figure out what his ribbons and medals were for. he spent 30 years and retired a Sergeant Major in the Corps.

He never opened up to me until I came back from my first tour in Iraq. After anothertourin Iraq and one in Trashcanistan me and my old man are damn near besr friends. I have two boys and will most likely teach them the value of service. The way I see it is America needs reenforcements. I hope to have more but I think my mom would disown me if the next one was not a grand daughter. Either way... Semper Fi. We will keep Hannibal at the gates. It's our turn to manthe watch.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Unreal that you know someone that just came back from there 4th!! Recent pics would be GREAT!!! I'd love to see what became of Camp Eagle. I did allot of growing up right there mister.

Hotels,,,, Oh boy,,,,they just might find a few surprises when they start digging foundations,, lots of units stood down from there and allot of shit just got buried in place. There might be a "gold mine " just sitting there for the taking. Quite possible.

Some stuff just got buried in the con-ex's it was in at the time, so it's quite possible some things might just be salvageable. Ya Never know?
    AK's ya know,,,they never cease to amaze me sometimes,,,could be some serviceable ones there still. Lots of stories of them being buried for years and still functioning just fine after a quick clean up, so it's quite possible.

Now THAT looks like one bad ass Marine, and a damn proud one too!! Well, he should be. Was he at the first or second flag raising? If at the first,,,he was one bad ass ,,mo fo!!!! The second wave troops weren't slouch's either,,they all kicked some serious ass in some pretty intense fighting on Iwo.

My Pa was in The Slot at that time on a sub chaser as a sonar man, and they scored a few too. From what I gather his was rigged with torpedo tubes too so they'd go after just about anything that moved under , or , on top of the water, from his stories. I had some uncles in at that time too somewhere in the South Pacific, but I don't know yet in what capacity. Still looking. Pretty hard to figure out not knowing which branch or where they were for sure. There distant relatives so it's a bit hard to find out info. on them.

You're Pa was there just before me, abukai08,,never know,, we may just have passed each other when he was leaving and boarding the Freedom Bird while I was coming in,,,Ya Never Know???? He definitely would have been one of the guys supporting our unit before I got there,,are arty came out of QuanTri for the most part and one of the places I brought ammo to later on in my tour.

Pretty Damn small world, isn't it guys?

BTW,, How did this turn into it's own thread????, I thought this was part of a different thread,,or am I just loosing it ?

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    BTW,, How did this turn into it's own thread????, I thought this was part of a different thread,,or am I just loosing it ?
    It's magic, lol.

Actually, it was part of a different thread - but not anymore.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

my 9 yr old son made this snowman for "all the soldiers". thank you for your service and happy and safe holidays to you all.

Tribute to those that have served-snowman.jpg

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Sniper your a good Man..

Nothing metal left over there twa, nothing.. They even dug up any mines for scrap the people did..
    My Bro Dust Off Fred has the pictures. Lives up in Perry Florida way. Very very very few mementos in the novelty shops over there.. Marine Doc Wayne, our Bro, told him to do the tour thing if he wanted to go back, so he did..
    Very accommodating tour guide who helped the guys go to special places they wanted to see and reminiscence.
    Not to be negative, but they fought for their communism, they got it.. Enjoy. Vietnam sits in one of the most beautiful A.O.s in the Orient.. Beautiful beaches, mountains, just beautiful geography.. For Abukai08 Dad who got to see it from the air and twa and some others here, they know what I mean..
    Every country in the Orient is booming $$, tourists.. South Texas Guy is an example, he is working there.. The Oriental countries, Cambodia, etc. What they have done is take over property 300 meters ?? back from the water front..$$ To be given to Commies like scum sucking "Swift Boat Kerry." Ever wonder why he is visiting recently.??
    twa. Fred had a friend on his tour find a button with "Camp Eagle" on it from the 60s, at a novelty shop.Bit rusted up but he was in heaven..
    Chopsticks from a Hue restaurant. I have to call and get a to go order..
    Nice Snowman trickyrick's Son. Thank you...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tribute to those that have served-chopsticks-002.jpg  

Tribute to those that have served-chopsticks-001.jpg  

"Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Abra-Ka-Cabra,,,,Poof,,new thread,,

I'm sure that lots of the scrappers made themselves wealthy people. There was a gold mine of stuff buried there .

What few things I brought home are at the Viet- Nam Vets Memorial along the interstate here in VT. Just a NVA Red Star baseball style cap, and a small NVA flag I took from a captured NVA regular.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Tribute to those that have served-vnam68001.jpgTribute to those that have served-vnam68002.jpgTribute to those that have served-vnam68003.jpgTribute to those that have served-vnam68005.jpgTribute to those that have served-vnam68016.jpgEver have any silly little C-47's drop flares on ya all night long???? Might have been my Dad flying the bird...He flew up and down the A Shaw valley for months. Got hit numerous times (the bird that is), and just kept on his mission. His crew hated that. One mission, he came home with 17 37mm AA hits on his bird! One engine BLOWN-OFF! They parted it out after that. I recognize "Camp Eagle" from his (very seldomly told) stories. He served from 1966-1969, based at Bien Hoa and "other" localities.

So, Look closely at the pic with the "Little Bird" in the background. My Dad is the shorter one. The Taller guy is Jimmy Stewart. Dad flew with him in WWII for a time, and they remained friends till the end of their days. I could not find a picture of his Wife, but she accompanied Jimmy on many of the USO tours. A very sweet, wonderful lady who always remembered our Birthdays' and every other important event.

I think the rest are self explanatory....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for those pics, brings back memories ,,for sure.

I do remember them dropping flares, sometimes it helped,, other times it didn't. They defiantly got shot up good doing it too,,,but,,

allot less after we captured these and brought them back to base. On top a 23mm and bottom a 37mm. Destroyed many others too while I was there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tribute to those that have served-vn322a_72sm.jpg  

Tribute to those that have served-vn323a_72sm.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.