Gunco Forums banner

Magpul Moves to Cheyenne, Wyoming - gun magazine producer to leave Colo

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  nutznboltz 
#1 ·
US gun magazine producer to leave Colo. over gun laws

January 02, 2014
FoxNews.com

One of the largest producers of gun magazines in the U.S. is leaving Colorado because of its new gun laws and moving its operations to Texas and Wyoming.

Magpul Industries, based in Erie, Colorado, announced Thursday that it was moving its production, distribution and shipping operations to Cheyenne and its headquarters to Texas, making good on a vow it made to leave Colorado during last year's heated gun control debate.

In 2013, the company took out a newspaper ad stating it would leave should the state pass a ban on high-capacity magazines and add-ons for semi-automatic rifles.

The Democratic-led Colorado legislature and Gov. John Hickenlooper last year enacted a new law prohibiting the sale of gun magazines with more than 15 rounds. That and other new gun restrictions also led to the recall ouster of two Democratic state senators.

The company says its corporate headquarters will likely be in north-central Texas but an exact location hasn't been determined yet.

Colorado is not the only state to have gun manufacturers threaten to leave over gun legislation. In 2013, Beretta USA threatened to move its Maryland manufacturing plant – along with roughly 400 jobs – after Democratic Gov. Martin O’Malley began a push for one of the most ambitious gun-control agendas in the country.

Executives claimed they had grown weary of the state’s attitude on guns and reportedly backed up their threat by pointing out the company moved a warehouse to neighboring Virginia in 1990 when Maryland previously tightened gun laws.

Meanwhile, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan, both Republicans, have invited gun makers to relocate to their states, promising no unwarranted government intrusion into the business.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

See less See more
#2 ·
Magpul Industries finally making good on threat to leave Colorado

ERIE, Colo. — The Colorado-based firearms accessories manufacturer that threatened to leave the state if more-restrictive gun legislation was passed is finally making good on its threat more than nine months after the new gun laws went into effect.

In a press release issued on Thursday, Magpul Industries CEO Richard Fitzpatrick said his company, which currently employs 250 people in Colorado, will be relocating its shipping operations to Cheyenne, Wyo. and its company headquarters to an undisclosed location in Texas.

The company said it is still deciding between three possible North Central Texas locations for its headquarters, and that the transition to its new home will begin as soon as a decision is made.

Support received from governors in both states — Matt Mead in Wyoming and Rick Perry in Texas — played a big role in the selection of both sites, Magpul wrote in the release.

“Moving operations to states that support our culture of individual liberties and personal responsibility is important,” Fitzpatrick said. “This relocation will also improve business operations and logistics as we utilize the strengths of Texas and Wyoming in our expansion.

Fitzpatrick went on to note that the move is expected to take place at some point in the next 12 to 16 months.

#12 ·
I remember when it was $10 for a five-finger lid (coffee can lid). That was late 60s to early 70s. I can't hardly believe that inflation is that much since then though. I suppose that now it's legal to grow in some places that the Black Market price will come down as every retiree in Colorado and Washington will be supplementing their Social Security with this new source of income.Will give the "dispenseries" competition lowering prices overall.

#13 ·
im glad that they are moving out of the state and now it will make them think, Oh, WE fk'd up

why because all of those people that will be out of work and taking in unemployment ....

i hope that other manufacturers and so called retails will do the same.

this has to set an example to the rest of them, telling them, if you pass this law/ regulation, WE are moving else where at where they want work and they support US ..

#14 ·
I seem to remember back in the 70's or there about the government creating a "tax stamp" you had to purchase to legally own/have/grow pot. Since you couldn't get the tax stamp, it was illegal to be in possession. I'm thinking this was the dangerous drugs etc act?????? anyone???

So is the federal gov finally issuing tax stamps?

EDIT: that law was over turned. Now it's Controlled Substances Act of 1970

#15 ·
Are you kidding? I was class of 1971. I remember kids selling that stuff @$15 and $20 a ounce back then.
Not kidding, heard it on the news and read and article that said the same thing.
It was even more a couple days after the law went into effect, supply & demand, a lot of shops sold out in two or three days and other places started raising the price already.
Bunch of idiots paying that much for a plant :D

I seem to remember back in the 70's or there about the government creating a "tax stamp" you had to purchase to legally own/have/grow pot. Since you couldn't get the tax stamp, it was illegal to be in possession.
I think that tax stamp was around before WWII, you could get the stamp but it was illegal to be in possession of pot even if you had the stamp, so the two laws cancelled each other out. Government at it's finest :D

#16 ·
AS I recall about that tax stamp. If you sold or possed pot even though it was illegal, you had to have a tax stamp, also. otherwise the state busted you for the drug and the feds busted you for no stamp. Good way to get more revenue. I never did hear what happened to that law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.