Thread: Obama Proposes Firearm Changes

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Obama Proposes Firearm Changes

I seen this a few hours ago on my IP home page, it was taken down fairly quickly.
    And sorry for pasting so much of it.

Obama proposes firearm background check changes

HONOLULU — The Obama administration on Friday announced a pair of executive actions aimed at strengthening federal background checks for gun purchasers, with a particular focus on limiting firearm access for those with mental health issues.

One proposed rule change aims to clarify terminology used by federal law to prohibit people from purchasing a firearm for mental health reasons. The administration said states have complained that some wording is ambiguous, making it difficult to determine who should be blocked from buying a weapon.

The change also will help states determine what information may be shared with the federal background check system for firearms transfers. The system has prevented more than 2 million guns from falling into the wrong hands, the Justice Department says.

A second proposed rule change would give hospitals and other entities covered by patient privacy provisions more flexibility in the information they provide to the background check system. However, the administration said the rule change would not require reporting on general mental health care or legally prohibit someone from having a firearm solely because they sought treatment.

The White House announced the proposals while President Barack Obama was vacationing in Hawaii.

Obama put forward sweeping gun control measures last year following the horrific elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn. But the toughest proposals, including stricter background checks, fell flat on Capitol Hill, forcing the White House to rely on piecemeal measures that can be implemented without congressional approval.

Several perpetrators of the nation's worst mass shootings have had mental health issues, including Newtown shooter Adam Lanza. However, they acquired their guns in different ways, with Lanza using firearms purchased by his mother when he went on a rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary.

In announcing the proposed rule changes, the White House also called on Congress to again tackle gun control issues this year. However, there's little indication that lawmakers plan to take up the issue.

"Today, we are taking steps to further strengthen the federal background check system. It's time Congress joins us in this effort," Vice President Joe Biden wrote on Twitter. Biden has headed up the White House's anti-gun violence efforts following the Newtown shooting.

Friday's rule changes were proposed by the Departments of Justice and Health and Human Services. The agencies must accept and analyze public comments before issuing final rules.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53973881#.UsdenZ0o6tr
    Last edited by Coils; 01-03-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added link
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hmmmmm I dont see any changes it sounds like there trying to make it look like the did something.

My concern is that at some point any one telling a doctor there sad or anxious will trigger a report to authoritys.

51 % of homicides are by black men about 80% of those are on black men . If Obama wants to start reducing crime he needs to go back to Chicago an clean up the government funded criminal breeding programs there . I think they had about 800 murders there in 2013 . those were by drug dealers an gang members not the mentally ill.

to put it simplier it was criminal killing criminals. reduce crime by getting rid of criminals .

IM PERSONAL SICK OF THE MEDIA IGNORING WHO IS DOING MOST OF THE KILLING IN THIS COUNTRY AN FOCUSING ON HIGH PROFILE SHOCKINF AN RARE SHOOTINGS BY NUT JOBS. 20 KIDS GET KILLED IN CONNECITICE AN THE WHO COUNTRY IS IN SHOCK . 700 KIDS GOT KILLED IN ILLINOIS AN ITS NO BIG DEAL.
    A HOME MADE BOMB KILLS THREE IN BOSTON AN THERE IS $80,000,000 SOME CATCHING WHO DID IT AN 3000 MEN ON THE STREETS . IN CHICAGO AN OTHER BIG CITIES IT TAKES A DAY FOR THE CORONER TO SHOW UP AN THEY MAYBE ASK SOME NEIGHBORS IF THEY SAW ANY THING .

PRETTY SAD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Commocrat definition of mental health problems:

1. If you are against Barky you must be crazy;

2. If you want to own a gun you must be crazy;

3. If you currently have a gun you must be crazy;

4. Any of the above mental health problems disqualifies you from gun ownership.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'm more concerned about returning vets who get help an then find them selves on a list .

I do think that hey IF we have nut balls that have been commited and we know there freaking nuts that the states need to be doing there part an getting those people reported . the idiot who shot up the naval yard for example he was able to pass a back ground check. that should have never happened . He commited multiple crimes was hearing voices etc .

If were stuck with the laws we have then enforce them. If we got a guy hearing voices an talking about nukiing imaginary space Zombies the nut house need to report it .

I am concerned how its getting closer to ANY doctor to make these decisions an how there is no recourse on the patient .

I know first hand of a woman who came damn close to being committed turns out she was on Chantix to quit smoking an IMO was wacked out of here mind especially if she drank . Now that the problem is addressed she is fine . does that mean shes not allowed guns becasue she was seen in a psyche ward .

its a very slippery slope when it comes to this stuff . IM worried to many people who need grievance counseling or marriage counseling or have lost a job na are dealing with stress will not get help . I feel there needs to be ore help for those who need it an that peoples privacy needs to be respected . we pass its ok for doctors to report this or than an soon its on a credit check or a job interview follow up .

What Obama is asking for is the loss of doctor patient confidentiality an in these days were everything you say to a doctor goes into a electronic record your info is not safe .

Feedback Score

Let's go back to the 60's when the aclu sued to have the mental hospitals emptied for personal freedom and the streets became overrun with homeless people.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Hmmmmm I dont see any changes
    It don't look like any changes but you should know how they operate by now, tell you one thing and do something completely different.

The other thing (which to me is the main one) is he's doing this as an "executive action", no votes from the congress or senate, he's just changing or making laws on his own.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yep EOs to the white house today were getting set up for a 'little kim dong dung ill" action like making political opponents dance with a AA gun or making um squat on a 66mm HE round--next thing we know the big "O" will be feeding his uncle to starving lions-- those EOs can be a very bad thing !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    It don't look like any changes but you should know how they operate by now, tell you one thing and do something completely different.

The other thing (which to me is the main one) is he's doing this as an "executive action", no votes from the congress or senate, he's just changing or making laws on his own.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL LIKE NORTH KOREA WE KNOW WHAT FREEDOM TASTES LIKE AN WE ARE AREMED AN WE CAN COMMUNICATE WITH THE OUT SIDE WORLD . LET HIM TRY.

Im not yelling that was a bold statement .

It looks to me like a PR move so they can say they did some thing . of course we cant read everything in the new laws an the media is leaving out ,

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.