Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: does russian ammo have steel cased projectiles?

Feedback Score

Default does russian ammo have steel cased projectiles?

Ar15.com has a discussion on it. I've shot a lot of it and haven't seen any decline in accuracy. Gonna keep doing it. Just curious. Or I could just get a magnet and check...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Most does, a few are brass.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Most does, a few are brass.
    Kernel, I'm not sure if the OP is referring to the projectile (bullet) or the case?
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Do you mean steel CORE projectiles /bullets ?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a steel case and a steel jacket on the bullet mostly.

most imported ammo has a lead core. this is due to the BATF calling steel core ammo "cop killers"

old military surplus has a dead soft steel core sort of like m855 ball ammo.

the russian military "7n" 5.45 is steel core while the wolf brand 5.45 is just plain lead core--

over in russia they started adding steel to the ammo during the world wars --i think this was cause they were running low on lead at that time--

Feedback Score

Three sam adams does not make me the poster! Kernel I meant the bullet. Steel JHP's just seemed odd.and they do work on deer sized game. Thanks for the clarification.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Steel JHP's just seemed odd.and they do work on deer sized game
    There are a lot better choices for deer than that . just saying

Feedback Score

I know 1biggun.thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The steel used in the cases and the projectile jackets is very soft and thin, so it isn't doing much more wear than brass would in a decent bbl. In a chrome lined one the hardness of the chrome makes it a non-issue. In a bargain basement cheap unlined bbl, maybe you would reduce the life by a few thousand rounds. With today's ammo costs, unlikely you would ever hit that point on most folks ammo budgets and if you did the cost savings over brass would pay for the new bbl.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i been trying to burn out some of the cheap no chrome 5.56 & 7.62x39 barrels with the steel jacketed stuff for a long time , even fired a lot of that bi-metal jacketed stuff that was a known all over the interwebbs as a barrel eater. so far i can't tell they have done any damage to the barrels of yet.

i not saying that steel won't wear out a barrel a bit faster than copper as it does but it is still very slow to show wear -- you'll still spend many times more $$ on ammo than barrels provided you change um only when wore out. since changing a barrel on a ar-15 is quicker than putting on a spare tire i don't worry about it much.

i suppose if your running AKs "ammo wear" is a good excuse to have a few spare AKs as you might somehow wear one out shooting the steel jacketed stuff--LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    The steel used in the cases and the projectile jackets is very soft and thin, so it isn't doing much more wear than brass would in a decent bbl. In a chrome lined one the hardness of the chrome makes it a non-issue. In a bargain basement cheap unlined bbl, maybe you would reduce the life by a few thousand rounds. With today's ammo costs, unlikely you would ever hit that point on most folks ammo budgets and if you did the cost savings over brass would pay for the new bbl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.