Gunco Forums banner

Sometimes, I cry like a baby......

1K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  jrs 
#1 ·
One of my Nephews is in Marine Corps Basic at MCRD San Diego. He is having a tough time, but then again who doesn’t in Marine Basic? We hav been sending silly cards and short letters to help keep his spirits up. Yesterday, we got three letters from him, written on different days, but probably mailed all at once.

He wrote in one of the letters that he is homesick, and misses just being here with the family (he is extended family, and they are not so supportive). He wrote that he really misses just helping me in the kitchen and making dinner for the family; and how he wants more than anything, a bowl of Granddaddy's Chili and some "fired up" corn bread. Of all of the things that you would think he might miss, he misses just being with my family, making dinner. This young man is not my blood relation, but I took him under my wing because he and my son became friends. I took an interest in him because he is a scrappy numbnut who just does not accept NO for an answer. To his credit, he listens and he tries like hell to learn and better himself.

I cry like a baby because I am so proud of him. He is on his own, and he is achieving to the best of his ability the things he has dreamed of for the last two years. He just qualified Sharpshooter, and is hoping to qualify as Expert next week. Thanks to JRS, and all of the extra 5.56x45 he loaded, I think that he has a chance. HE wants to go Force Recon or Scout Sniper.....All the fucking way!

I really care about this young man. I am pretty tied up in knots worrying over him. I just hope that he gets through the last 3 weeks of Basic. I am sure he will do fine...But I still fret.

Please, all of you who care...say a prayer for Sean Carmichael, Recruit, USMC.

Regards,

PS. Once he gets some leave, I will brew up a special batch of Granddaddy's Chili for him.

See less See more
#4 ·
bellson, just keep doing what you are doing. Family definitely has a way of helping you get through good ol' MCRD (Echo Company 2062). As long as he knows there is a bowl of Chili waiting for him there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Prayer has been sent and good luck wishes. We need more good ones.

#5 ·
Agreed, The letters and notes are always a good morale booster. And having a light at the end of the tunnel doesnt hurt! I live on base, near Edson, so I probably heard him puttin' holes in paper targets down there not long ago. If he's made it this far, he can smoke the rest of it, no problem. Errah.

#6 ·
Awesome brother!!! Tell him to keep his chin up!! Even being a "Hollywood Marine" is tough! LOL. He honestly has the worst part licked. IMHO one you got through "First Phase" and kind of learned the rules and what the D.I.'s expected of you, it was just a matter of doing what you're told, as quickly as humanly possible. BTDT, Parris Island, around when Reagan got shot, Grenada, Lebanon Marine Barracks explosion, etc..... Early 80's was a wonderful time..... Prayers and positive thoughts sent.

#9 ·
Well Hell, you and I pounded some of the same ground! That was back when I was a simple Doggie, content to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and blow up innocent bridges and whatnot....

#10 ·
Prayers on the way for the young lad. bellson he will be fine.. I almost joined the Marines, but the recruiter told us they still used bayonets, so I went right over and joined the Army..
Tell him 4th said to hang tough.. :salute:

#11 ·
He's got the tough part done already. Just keep giving him positive reinforcement and all will be good.

For me basic was a breeze, I'd run cross country and track for 4 years and was 3rd in the state. Plus I did the full length of the Appellation Trail the summer before I in- listed so I was tough as nails and ready for just about anything, well that and Pa was a Colonel too , so I was used to bellowing all my life!!!! Nothing new for me when I was in basic, just a typical day to me.

One funny thing is when I first went in our drill Sargent was doing the usual physical break ya down thing, and it just didn't work with me, which frustrated him no end. I'd made some comment he didn't like and he decided he was going to make me run till I dropped,,,,so off we went with him hot on my ass screaming all the way. At about mile 7-8 he asked me If I'd had enough and being the smart/dumb ass I was, I said "Hell No,, just getting warmed up now",,,, well that went over like a fart in church ,,so we continued on. Long story short after abut 16-18 miles he was whipped and had to drop out and I was still fresh as a daisy and ready for 5 more!!! We took a break and back to the company area we went.

After that I got most of the cherry assignments and became platoon leader through the rest of basic and ended up coming out of basic a PFC,,told ya I was Gung Ho !! That doesn't usually happen, after that they tested me and tried to get me to go to the Point, but I declined.

When he realized I'd in-listed and was gung ho as hell and he couldn't run me into the ground or break me, we became the best of friends and we actually spent 1 tour together in Nam. He was a tough old bird and we were best of friends and kept in touch for many years afterwards.

I thank him to this very day for how hard he was on me and for what he taught me,,what he taught me saved my bacon more than once in Nam, and for that I wall always be grateful. Semper Fi my Brother,,RIP.

#14 ·
I look forward to it. Anything to help a young man that is chosing a good path in life. Semper Fi!!!!!!!!

#16 ·
It was "scrawny little guys"like you twa that made it loo easier.then bigger guys like me got to hump all the 7.62 while they only had to carry a 24lb m60.sigh.ha! Pulling for your nephew bellson and hope he's going to be trained for something more useful than I did (11b1) light weapons infantry to marine corps folks.

#17 ·
God Love the Boy! He wants Infantry, has his sights set on Force Recon or Scout Sniper. I tried for 3 months to talk him around to something else, ANYTHING ELSE! Ah, to be young and dumb again.....

#19 ·
Any updates on your nephew? When does he graduate? I sent him a (hopefully) motivational letter. I hope he enjoys it.

#22 ·
Any updates Bellson??

#23 ·
Hello Gents,

Got a call from his Mom, Welcome Home Party is scheduled for March 8th!!!!

Looks like he is doing well, and will graduate Basic on time and with all of his parts intact.

Hurray!!!! Thanks to all for the support!!

#24 ·
That's awesome!! He's in the home stretch.

#27 ·
I recognize that gun... Kid is lucky to have family so great as you all. my 'boot leave' was good, but then I came back from OIF to find my folks split and all my stuff was either sold or missing! I'll be in 29 Palms til April 1st, but give the Devil Pup a handshake and an ERRAH for me Chris!

#28 ·
Yeah, I know those Mauser's well. I have the granddaddy to it. Still waiting to hear what he qualified on the range. After all the time Bellson and I spent with him at the range, better be high Expert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.