Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best American idea I have seen in ages

Feedback Score

Why compare it with a bike ? It's not a bike, it's a trike that's warm and dry. $6800 ! 80+ mpg, 100+mph. it's a steal !

I would bet it sticks to the road like shit to a blanket.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks biggun I forgot the name. It reminds me of a can am with a bubble.don't see that many anymore. In some towns if your golf cart has turn signals and you stay in 35mph areas you can register as a motor vehicle in Virginia.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

there was a full sized sedan type of car doing 85+mpg made by some professor at CIT quite a few years ago. it had a conventional 1.6L toyota formula atlantic type of engine and a 5 speed.

it was a little pricy --but it could have been affordable enough with economy of scale.

what the auto industry wants to do is give us 5 mpg about every 5-7 years-- that way we will have to buy a new car every so often.

i wonder what this 85 mpg car would have done with that 50% thermal efficient engine cat has had around for decades?

probably 120mpg and could still do 135bhp--

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    \
    Kernel, that this looks wicked!!!!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hmmm...it could succeed, especially at that price point.
    There really is a void in the world for a very low-cost, highly efficent, short-medium range commuter (1 passenger) car. The Model T and VW bug both had their time..something new is needed. It would make a great second car or grocery-getter for many folks.

Safety regulations and crash testing will be the hard thing to solve. It looks similar to the Corbin Sparrow electric car which failed due to very high cost/low range. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers_Motors_NmG
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Its supposedly getting a mercedes made three cylinder an its going to sell for that price ? Im sceptical . a lot of jap bikes cost that much an that thing is goign to cost more than one of those IMO. i suspect there keeping it a three wheeler so its titled as a motorcycle vs a car. I suspect this isd to get around crash testing an a lot of safely stuff .

Yes it reminds me of as Can Am Spyder . this is not the first time a enclosed version has been built I have seen a few home buillt that looked well made using motorcycle engines . There is another company that was makeing a open version that used a High hore engine an was made more for speed as well . The one in the link has the same fenders as my utility trailer LOL

what would be cool if they made a version with a VW turbo diesel or simular then it would likely get 100 MPG or better .

I have considered for years a super light track T tyoe roadster pick up with a suzukie 1300 cc engine out of a samuari with a swift gt head an fuel injection. If it was done correctly with a lot of sprint car type suspension stuff the weight would not be much more than the three wheeler above an would likey get 60mph or so .
    there is a guy who has a model t roadster with a bullet nose that has VW rabbit diesel an claims 60 MPH an his is not that light IMO .

I know a few guys who have vw turbo diesels in there Suzuki Samurais an there claiming 45 MPG with 30" tires . none guy with a 2WD samuarie an street tires claims he gets 50 MPG an those have the aerodynamics of a brick .

That three wheeler might be ok in the city an around twon but I would ne feel safe in it on a freeway doing 70 MPH it looks hard to see IMO .

I would also like to see a street legal UTV that I could drive on mountain roads . some of ther new ones have over 100 HP now .

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I never understood the fascination with trikes and enclosed trike-things or motorcycles.

Get a real car. Or a real bike. The trikes combine the worst of both worlds.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'd seen at a car show,,but only once,, a rig someone had built that looked like a "nambu fighter" like was on Star Wars ,that was a trike configuration . It had a rear mounted SB chevy in it so I'm sure the mileage wasn't there . But it sure looked cool as hell, and I'm sure it went like a raped ape besides!! The motor sounded kinda "lumpy" and cam-ed up. It kinda looked like a sting ray going down the road with a HUGE fatty on the back, it was defiantly pretty sharp looking. I wished I'd had a chance to look it over better, and get some pics, but didn't have the chance to. I'd liked to have seen some more details of it but I was busy judging several different class's and it left early, so I never really got the chance to check it out very well.

I drove one of those Can Am rigs before and didn't like it at all,I think there kinda squirrel-y IMO. Plus they are just plain,,,,"pug fuggly",,,,I'd much rather have a real bike if I was going that route. Something like a 80" or SK motor, Harley extended springer, soft tail,, chopper,,that's way more my style, and my next rig if I do ever get another bike. No doubt! That sure would make a good companion piece for the Riviera at the car shows too,,,, now wouldn't it?? Old School Hot Rods and bikes for me,,,,,all the way!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    I never understood the fascination with trikes and enclosed trike-things or motorcycles.

Get a real car. Or a real bike. The trikes combine the worst of both worlds.
    What fascinates me is the cheap transportation. I don't really care about vehicles, what I care about is getting about. If it's fun that's a bonus

I predict that if they are produced they will be a top seller.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Maybe in warmer climates they'd be OK Mick, but where we live, I'm not so sure I'd want one for winter use. You and I probabley wouldn't get much more use out of it than we would a regular bike. As I said those rear wheel trike configurations can get squirrel-y even on wet roads, can't imagine how they'd be on snow/ice !! Hazardous to your health,,,I'd think, they don't give much warning when they start going sideways/going around, and I have been told that by owners of them, they spin out pretty easy I gather,,,I'm not sure I like the sound of that myself. I've been told there fun for blowing doughnuts though!!

With all the big hemlocks and maples we both have on the sides of the roads in our area. I don't think we'd want to kiss a tree in one of those things!!! Even if they were built like a tank I can't imagine they would be much better that a regular bike,,maybe worse sense you can't bail if you need to.

And,,,Don't even ask me how I know about bailing off a bike,,

When I was a kid I drove for the factory Maico team running motocross races and my nick name was,,,
    ,,,,,Lumpy,,,,,

guess that pretty much says it all,,,,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.