Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Some fun tips if you own a dog...

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Some fun tips if you own a dog...

Hello All,

I have a best friend named Ms. Kennsington....She is an adorable Chocolate Lab, now 8 years old.

Last year, she started drinking a lot of water, and losing weight. JRS even became concerned, and he's a cat person. So, off to the Vet we went. The result: Doggy Diabetes. Started her on Humulin, and she went blind...That pissed me off to no end. Thought about putting her down, but decided to give it a chance and see how she would do. Glad I did. It took some time for her to adjust, but she is pretty good now. Back to normal, or close to it.

As part of all of this, we had to change her diet.

So, Diabetic Dog Food is expensive. You get half as much for twice the price. And you NEED A PRESCRIPTION! What a bunch of CRAP!

Ms. Kennsington will eat as much as I will give her. So, in an effort to give her more food, while not starving my kids, we started making her "Dog Rice". Cheapest white and brown rice, mixed half and half, to add to her food. She likes it, sort of. But she does not always finish her food, which can be bad when you are giving her a prescribed amount of insulin. So, we tried store bought chicken broth as a little spice up. That works, but it costs $2.50 per quart....Now, I am not really a cheap bastard. But, her meds cost $131 per month, and we are tight on money as it is. So, we tried milk. SHE LOVES THAT!, but same kind of issue. Too costly, but a nice change every now and again.

So, I called a dietician that I know and took her out for some coffee. She had some really good suggestions that I thought I would share:

1. Dogs will eat anything, if it tastes good to them.
    2. There are always leftovers that get thrown out.
    3. There are always throw-aways from normal cooking, like chicken skin and bones, carrot tops, potato peelings, etc.
    4. All of this waste can be stored in the refrigerator until enough is there for the below recipe.

Her suggestions were these:

Take any chicken or meat leftovers or discards (fat trimmings, bones, skin, etc.) and boil it up in plain water. Add a SMALL amount of salt, like a teaspoon or a cheap bullion cube. Boil it for 30 minutes, add any vegetable stuff that is left over and boil for another 20 minutes. Remove any bones, and discard. Use a plunge blender and puree the rest into a thick sauce, and add water if needed. Cool and store in the refrigerator. When feeding the dog, we give her two cups of dog food, a half cup of dog rice, and a half cup or so of this "Gravy" and mix it up.

Stand back, the food is gone in 3 minutes or less. Ms. Kennsington is happy until dinner time. A lot less whining, and little or no begging at the table. Awesome nutrition for her, and it costs next to nothing since it would have been thrown out anyway.

My friend also suggested that I email all of the big dog-food companies to ask about nutritional content in the food. As it turns out, Diabetic dog food just has no sugar, and very little wheat or corn or soy added in. Mostly rice. So, we have identified two, Duplo and Purina that make blends that are similar that we are going to try.

The other suggestion, which came from my Lawn guy, was to stop burying the dog poo, and instead just blast it with a hose until it disintegrates. Instant fertilizer (I have lots of really green spots now), no smell, and no flies. As a side note, I have been able to turn my back-yard sprinklers down to 2 minutes or so. Saving water!!!! and out here in Kalifornia, that means real money too!

Last one....How do you get the dog to fetch a tennis ball when she can't see it?????

Answer: Make a small slit in it, and throw in one or two of those silly Christmas bells. Then attach some paracord to the ball, and throw it, while keeping a hold of the other end of the paracord. She will run after the sound, and you can just yank the cord a couple of times till she gets it. Great fun! We can even do that at night, although my neighbours are not too keen on that.

Call me a sap, but I love my dog. I am glad that we did not just put her down....

Regards,

Some fun tips if you own a dog...-camera-download-2-4-08-044.jpgSome fun tips if you own a dog...-camera-download-2-4-08-005.jpgSome fun tips if you own a dog...-types-labs.jpg
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

your not a sap for loving her the way she loves you,......unconditionally.glad she pulled thru.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good looking dog bellson. Our last one was a yellow, and we have a black lab now that's 3. He's still hasn't calmed down yet. When I was younger our family cat started drinking a lot of water and sleeping a lot, even for a cat. Same thing, took him to the vet and came home with insulin and test strips. We'd always give him some tuna with corn syrup in it if his blood sugar got too low. He'd always eat that except for the couple times we found him passed out. Then corn syrup rubbed around in his mouth would usually help. I think he was around 15-16 when we started giving him insulin, and just shy of 21 at the end.

I wonder if you took one of the chirping toys and removed the guts and put that inside of a solid rubber ball that would work. Ours will break the noisemakers in most of the dog toys the day they get them unless they're protected really well.

Feedback Score

Glad to hear your dog pulled through. I think being blind is not as serious for a dog as a human, they use their noses more than their eyes, least mine seem to.

Here's Sten, my 2 year old Malinois X German shepherd. He is very friendly, just as long as people are friendly with me.

Feedback Score

Hey brother I'm assuming you monitor her blood glucose but just remember, any type of carbohydrate(rice but obviously a complex, better catb) to a diabetic be it 2 legged or 4 legged is sugar.

Glad to hear your pup is doing well with the change.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Glad to hear your dog pulled through. I think being blind is not as serious for a dog as a human, they use their noses more than their eyes, least mine seem to.

Here's Sten, my 2 year old Malinois X German shepherd. He is very friendly, just as long as people are friendly with me.

Moses will be 4 on the 24th of this month.
    He's very friendly, but don't walk up behind me. He doesn't like that.

HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Those are some good looking Dogs! I love the Border Patrol Hat!!!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You know bellson , I don't think that's all that much of a surprise your Chocolate has diabetes, it seems to be common in that breed, my fishing biddies Chocolate has it ,as well as a couple others I know right in the area.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by gwailo View Post
    Moses will be 4 on the 24th of this month.
    He's very friendly, but don't walk up behind me. He doesn't like that.
    What is Moses exactly, he obviously has lot's of GSD, is he pure bred ?

It's good to have a dog that looks out for you, especially one that's big and strong.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Good tips Bellson, and you're definitely not a sap. A good dog can be the best friend you EVER have in your life. As mentioned before, unconditional love. We are truly not worthy of their affection, but I certainly try to be.

All you guys have beautiful dogs. It's kind of funny because my favorite breeds are Labs (in all forms) and German Shepards. Here's a few pics of my boy, Ziggy. He just turned 10 on Dec 1st. His mother was a Chocolate Weimaranner, and father was a Yellow Lab (1997 Field Trials Champion). IMHO, he got the best traits of both breeds. None of the other pups from at least the first 3 litters looked like him. He was the only one. He has been my best friend through MANY major life issues. Heart attacks, wife leaving, divorce, etc.... I pray that I go before him..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some fun tips if you own a dog...-ziggy-boo-12.jpg  

Some fun tips if you own a dog...-ziggy-boo-2.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.