Gunco Forums banner

It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

1K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Will Wayde 
#1 ·
Read the entire article here: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/its-time-let-felons-vote-holder-says-n26906

A selected quote:
Attorney General Eric Holder is calling for an end to state laws that bar felons from voting, even after they have served their sentences.

"By perpetuating the stigma and isolation imposed on formerly incarcerated individuals, these laws increase the likelihood they will commit future crimes," Holder said Tuesday at a Washington, D.C., symposium on sentencing laws.

Holder said the restrictions bar 5.8 million Americans from casting a ballot, including 2.2 million African-Americans.
:rant:
So now he wants to give felons (note over 25% are black) back their voting rights. Next he'll be wanting to give them their gun rights back. But the vets are mentally sick so take their's away.

#2 ·
how about things to deter crime like loosing rights an privileges if you are a criminal instead .

What ever happened to don't commit crimes in the first place ????????????????

The Democrats are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel for votes.

Im sorry but when 1 out of every three black men will go to prison at some point in there lives I can only see Holders ideas for this as racially motivated. I bet if the tables were turned he would not be endorsing stupid an dangerous idea .

#5 ·
"Holder said the restrictions bar 5.8 million Americans from casting a ballot, including 2.2 million African-Americans." This is really what he cares about. Why did he need to spell this out? He's not identifying latino Americans, asian Americans....why because he only cares about the black vote. Not being raciest here just pointing out the fact he is......

#6 ·
par for the obongo course--

lets see will arm terrorists, let terrorists in the USA nut deny the rights of the citizens every chance we get. let all then inmates out then complain about too much crime----

then SPY on the US citizens with the NSA using money borrowed from china that the tax payers will have to foot the bills for--

#7 ·
Restore their Second Amendment rights as well - Once they serve their time and pay back their debt to society then restore all their Constitutional Rights.

#11 ·
Back in '65 in my American history class the teacher said a convicted felon lost all rights as a citizen of this country, until his crime was forgiven by the governor of the state. Therefore these people don't have any civil right, and cannot vote or enjoy any of our constitutional rights. P.S. I lived one block from the Wyoming State Pen for 18 years.

#13 ·
I agree with pyrotex & black blade, once the debt has been paid if the full term has been served rights should be restored
violent criminals should not be let out period, prisoners should also not get the vote

gunco is also right holder is a racist this about race not justice

#14 ·
DON'T COMMIT CRIMES AN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT . IN THIS COUNTKLY YOU COMMIT CERTAIN CRIMES YOU LOOSE RIGHTS FOR GOOD IMO THAT'S A GOOD REASON NOT TO COMMIT CRIMES . I DONT BUY INTO DECREASING INCENTIVES NOT TO KILL ROB RAPE AN SELL DRUGS AN WHAT EVER ELSE. IMO THE LAWS ARE TO LAX NOW . HELL LETTING MANY OF THEM OUT IS BAD ENOUGH.

A couple days a go a guy was released from prison in Beloit WI an he stole a car an was involeved in a high speed chase an then crashed ONLY Two hours after being released!!
This Ass bag does not need his rights restored he does not need a vote he dosent need guns . He need to stay were he was were he is no anger to honest people .

While its obvious they would like to tap into more of the black vote they will also be tapping into the Ex felons who are now on assistance an don't work who want more free shit .

Id be willing to bet about 90% of convicted criminal who have been released will vote for more free shit .That means they will vote democrat.

#15 ·
My thoughts:

1. Eric Holder is both a Traitor, and a piece of shit.
2. Once upon a time, when these laws were passed; a Felon had committed the most heinous of crimes. Hence the reason for the permanent loss of Civil Rights.
3. Too many laws now carry the "Felony" label, and hence there is an actual disparity between the crime and the punishment.
4. Congress, and the States create new laws every day of the year that create more criminals without need. Example: Hate Crimes. Hate Speech. Both are Felonies, and both infringe on our rights. Yes, Hate Crime laws do infringe on our rights...Equal Protection equates to equal sentence for equal crime.
5. Holder is a Traitor, and a piece of shit.
6. Obama is no better.

Regards,

#18 ·
I don't think prisoners should be voting. After their dues are paid let them vote. I also don't think that there should be 20 states without a voter ID law. Hell, I have to show ID to buy a damn pack of cigarettes but the feds think it's perfectly natural and we're violating someones civil rights to ask for an ID to vote? A lot is wrong with that picture.

I agree with Bellson, Obama and Holder are traitors and pieces of shit!

#20 ·
2. Once upon a time, when these laws were passed; a Felon had committed the most heinous of crimes. Hence the reason for the permanent loss of Civil Rights.
3. Too many laws now carry the "Felony" label, and hence there is an actual disparity between the crime and the punishment.
OK I do agree with to many things do come with a Felony sentence an should not warrant loss of certain rights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.