Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FIRST ARREST? Connecticut Man Faces Charges For Unregistered “Assault Rifle,” Standar

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Default FIRST ARREST? Connecticut Man Faces Charges For Unregistered “Assault Rifle,” Standar

FIRST ARREST? Connecticut Man Faces Charges For Unregistered ?Assault Rifle,? Standard Capacity Magazines

A Milford man appears to be the first person charged after failing to comply with Connecticut’s law requiring the registration of certain firearms and standard capacity magazines:

A 65-year-old man faces an array of charges after he allegedly shot a squirrel in his yard Monday morning.

James Toigo, 258 Housatonic Dr., was charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, first-degree reckless endangerment, second-degree breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and three counts of possessing large-capacity magazines, according to a police press release.

Police were directing traffic in the area of Housatonic Drive when they heard a gunshot nearby, according to the release.

Upon investigation, police said Toigo was taken into custody after finding he had shot the squirrel. Police said they also found an unregistered assault rifle, as well as three large-capacity magazines, in Toigo’s home. Both the firearms and the magazines were taken, the release said.

It will be interesting to hear under what conditions police entered the home, and whether they used suspected state databases of gun owners to connect the apparent crime of shooting the squirrel with the ownership of an unregistered rifle and standard capacity magazines.

Folks, it appears we may have a test case on whether the Connecticut ban constitutes an unconstitutional ex post facto law.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That's insane. They make it sound like he's some kind of crazed killing machine terrorist. Other than whatever rules are in place for firing a weapon in the city limits, this sounds like normal everyday behavior of normal people. Wow, he shot a squirrel, and I bet it was a .22 of some sort. Probably a Ruger 10/22 with some 25 round mags. What the hell has this country come to???
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

were just one step away from having to say "hail Obama" at the beginning or the end of any conversation--

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I noted this is previous threads, they will do this NJ style, incrementally, reasons: discharging a firearm, teenage child calling the police, verbal arguement the neighbors hear, domestic troubles, un paid child support, etc what ever excuse they can to enter your home oh don't forget calling the fire department and or rescue services, once you call you give them card blanchein to your home

one at a time, no mass confiscation
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Carte Blanche was given long ago to the feds, state police, local cops, FBI, ATF, and more, when the masses knuckled under and didn't see the problem. It is too late to prevent this from happening and now the emphasis needs to be on voting out the power hungry in government that believe this is right. The only hope is a 180 degree swing in the thought process of government, and WE the people have the power to make that happen. Only then will this stop.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    ... I bet it was a .22 of some sort. Probably a Ruger 10/22 with some 25 round mags. What the hell has this country come to???
    I don't know. One charge was "failure to register an assault rifle" Is a 10-22 considered a AW under the new law? Sounds more like he had an AR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39 View Post
    I don't know. One charge was "failure to register an assault rifle" Is a 10-22 considered a AW under the new law? Sounds more like he had an AR.
    I know in NY they are classifying a 10/22 as a AW. My father in law was to register his but he sold it.
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

heck he could have been using an air rifle and somebody saw it and thought it was real, then what happened next........

(well it is one theory anyways).
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Here IS a idea don't shoot a firearm in the city limits if its illegal if you dont want the cops to come . an sure the hell don't do it if you have or with a unregistered assault weapon if you own one an decided to not follow the law changes . Yea there unfair but you got to think what your doing when you start shooting your gun.

The story is so lacking in what happened .

WHAT GUN WAS HE USING TO SHOOT SQUIRRELS? WHAT GUN IS THE ASSAULT RIFLE ? ARE SQUIRRELS LEGAL TO SHOT WERE HE WAS AT ? WAS A SEARCH NEEDED TO FIND THE GUN USED OR WAS IT DONE AFTER A FIRST GUN WAS FOUND OR HANDED OVER ? WAS THE SQUIRREL IN PLANE SIGHT FO R THEM TO COME ONTOT HE PROPERTY AN DO A INVESTIGATION ?

I THINK THE LAW IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL BUT DON'T BE A DUMB ASS .

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I heard about this, a few things are being left out of that article.

Yes the guy shot a squirrel with a 22, then the police entered his home and found the "assault rifle", they confiscated the assault rifle and all of his firearms. Did you read that "all his firearms", the only one that was in question was the assault rifle because it wasn't registered under that new law, everything else he owned was either registered or legal to own in the state. But they took everything he had in the house.

Here's some more, but this article says "several" instead of all of his firearms;
    Police officers reportedly heard a gunshot nearby while they were directing traffic in the area. Authorities reportedly determined that Toigo shot the squirrel.

The firearm used to shoot the squirrel was not the semi-automatic rifle that police later confiscated. Officers also seized “several” other guns, even though they were not used in a crime and were legal.

“As the investigation progressed the officers seized several firearms from the home for safe keeping,” Officer Jeffrey Nielsen said in a press release. “That included the assault riffle and the three high capacity magazine he did not have registered.”

To reiterate, police confiscated “several” of the man’s other firearms, even though Nielsen admitted the majority of them were registered and legal.

Toigo will not get his guns back until his case is heard. Depending on the outcome of the case, he will then have to petition the police department to get his firearms back.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.