Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: roto 1911 barrels?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 roto 1911 barrels?

a while back somebody asked about ROTO 1911 barrels.

i am going to do a follow up on them when my 7" barrel arrives.

presently i don't have a ROTO barrel -- i do have a unmarked barrel that was supposed to be surplus that i got from numrich a few years ago.

i sort of suspect it might be a roto or swenson.

this barrel looks and functions fine but it did require fitting. it seems to be at least USGI type accurate. it is a one piece barrel. the exterior of the barrel looks a little rough --like it was not fully polished before they put the finish on it, it does run OK though. --

for a long time rotos were thought to be two piece.

looking around over at 1911.org there is a guy there that thinks very highly of the ROTOs and he swears that at least all the newer rotos are one piece barrels. but i do get some bad advice from 1911.com from time to time!!--LOL--

i am beginning to think ROTOs ain't all THAT bad--

it will be interesting to see how the 7" roto holds up to the 6" storm lake--

Feedback Score

J427 I gotta ask. You gonna take that 45 hunting? Might be a good deer gun with the velocities you'll be getting.like to know about the Roto barrel.every time my shotgun news shows up I get drawn to the ad for those.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the reason i buying a roto in 7" as i can't find anybody else who makes one in that length. rotos 6" and 7" are $56 -- a storm lake 6" is $149--

yea i'm seeing some velocity increases in the 45 ACP from the 6" storm lake some loads close to 100fps most though about 50fps. some loads gain more some not so much.

the best thing though is i an hit targets further out, a 50M shot is easy with the 6" long-slide.

the roto being a 7" --well that is going to be interesting.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .45 Auto Results

what would really be interesting would be a 45 acp SUPER in 185gr fired from a 7"--

Feedback Score

I was thinking about the 45 super myself. My son wants me to build him a 460 Rowland for hog hunting. Always wanted a 6in 45. Let us know about the barrel. If they're one piece I might give it a go!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

there is another thing with the "super" i think it needs a fully supported case--

now the storm lake 6" IS fully supported-- the ROTO?? i guess i'll know when it gets here--LOL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the barrel don't look too bad-- as far as i can tell it looks to be a one piece barrel.

other than being a little tight in the pin area it was nearly a drop in the 6" para slide.

test fired about three mags of tula and one mag of winchester 230s without incident. not one hiccup--

no odd quirks like i have heard over the internet on the long barrels -- like twisting or odd recoil impulses. it is not quite as smooth operating as the storm lake is--but it is exceptional.

accuracy seems OK --but not "great" like the storm lake. the thing is though my barrel bushing is a bit loose for the roto-- a tighter bushing might help it grip the groups a little better and tula ain't the best ammo to check accuracy with. so it might do a better with a tighter bushing and good ammo.

it was doing about 3"- 3.5" @ 25M -- i don't think the tula does much better than that out of the storm lake--

i am currently running a 18lb wilson standard spring with STI spring plug that adapts the 6" slides to the standard springs.

the standard recoil springs just feel so much better than then long ones for the 6" slides--

my only concern so far on the roto is the rifling looks a bit shallow --could be an optical illusion due to the black finish on the inside--

this may get interesting if i can get my hands on some more super ammo--lol-- or work up some light P++ loads--

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    work up some light P++ loads--
    Dude, just what the hell is a 'light' P++ load?
    I don't have any super-long autos, but I have a couple of 10" 44mags. I don't see any 'twisting' or the like. The extra weight turns the .44 into a pussy cat.
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a 185gr or less would be "light"----- i wonder what those aluminum so-called super bullets would do from a 7"--LOl

i have been seeing on the interwebs all kinds of odd storys about 6" and 7" barrels in the 1911 -- they twist or have funky recoil mostly -- i don't know if this comes from the old AMT guns or it is just people guessing at what they might do.

there was also some claiming that a extended barrel /slide could reduce reliability --haven't seen any evidence of that either--so far.

so far besides the extra weight and lighter recoil i can't say they act different than a 5"

Feedback Score

Decades ago I was told the recoil was a kinda Ker chunk and the pistol twisted against the barrel twist. Never believed it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

tested out a roto 5" yesterday--

it seemed to shoot low and left @ 10m

the 7" shot high and slightly left -- the storm lake 5" and 7" were dead on-- with the 7" shooting slightly high.

the rotos seem to work fine but the do have a different POI -- and further comparisons the ROTOs do have very light rifling compared to a storm lake or a barsto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.