Thread: Mel tappen and Jerry Ahern. anyone

Feedback Score

Default Mel tappen and Jerry Ahern. anyone

Else read their stuff back in the 80's? Wife and I were driving through Ga. On the way back to virginia once and I stopped at a phone booth and Aherns number was listed so I called. Got the machine of course but I left the message round in the chamber hammer down and ready to rock. If you read his works you know what I mean. He died young.

Feedback Score

I read their stuff. Just the magazine articles. Never read one of their books. Never could figure why Ahern was ever hired as a gun mag writer. From what I understand, he never fired a shot in anger and never recieved incoming. And he was a hideout holster expert?
    I prefer Bill Jordan and the Colonel.
    Hunter

Feedback Score

Jeff Cooper is why I carry a a government model today. Hot weather cold weather I've learned to conceal no matter what iwb under a shirt no problem. My RIA looks like crap but it's clean and works no bobbles.thank you Mr Cooper.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

+1 Magazine articles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Never read any of their stuff but I recall that Jerry Ahern was president of Detonics from 2004 to 2007. I liked the Combat Master 1911 as it's a solid gun, and I also liked the early Detonics Pocket Nine (before he came aboard however - was a prop gun in Miami Vice for Don Johnson). That said, I tended to read more along the lines of Ragnar Benson.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Got no idea who brother Ragnar really is, but all the stuff of his that I've tried truly works.
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I like Ahern, and "James Axler" too. The survivalist series were great, especially like with Deathlands, the Graphic Audio versions. Epic!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yes, John Thomas Rourke WOULD survive if civilization ended today! As long as he never fell into the water, the 192 lbs of gear he carried on his person would have made him sink like a stone! I still have the complete run of the Survivalist except for one book, and even re-read the series last year. Read his magazine articles too, IIRC he had the "holster hide" column in combat handguns for a while. Also picked up his last non-fiction survival book. Pretty basic, but his info was solid. His widow Sharon and another author have started the Survivalist series up again, as downloadable E-books or print on demand paper books from Amazon. Kinda pricey, and reviewers say they would have benefitted from a real editor and proofreader. Might check it out, although the story seems to be about aliens this time around.

Read a little of Tappan's articles back in the day, American Survival Guide (the late great original version, not the collection of press releases the current incarnation is) had a few article from him, as did Survive! magazine. He also had a regular column in guns and ammo on survival guns.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.