Thread: Marines

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

They followed orders. Marines are like the old cavalry horse. They are trained to run to the sound of battle.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

jrs
    Feedback Score

Lawmakers call for Medal of Honor for Marines who died stopping truck bomber | Military Times | militarytimes.com

A New York congressman is calling for a presidential review of the Medal of Honor cases of two Marines who in 2008 gave their lives to halt a suicide bomber with a truck full of explosives in Ramadi, Iraq.

Democratic Rep. Tim Bishop introduced a bill this week that would authorize President Obama to review the actions of Lance Cpl. Jordan Haerter and Cpl. Jonathan Yale and determine their eligibility for the military’s highest honor.

Haerter and Yale, of 1st Battalion, 9th Marines, out of Camp Lejeune, N.C., were guarding a checkpoint in Ramadi on April 22, 2008, when a large blue truck filled with explosives accelerated toward their post, making no attempt to stop. The two Marines opened fire on the truck, causing it to explode before it entered the Joint Security Station, which housed more than 50 Iraqi and U.S. troops. Haerter and Yale were killed in the blast, but the lives of the troops within the station were saved.

In 2010, then-Lt. Gen. John Kelly commemorated the men’s actions in a moving speech in St. Louis, given just days after his own son, a first lieutenant, was killed in combat.

“By all reports and by the recording, they never stepped back,” he said. “They never even started to step aside. They never even shifted their weight. With their feet spread shoulder width apart, they leaned into the danger, firing as fast as they could work their weapons. They had only one second left to live.”

Yale and Haerter were posthumously awarded the Navy Cross, the military’s second-highest honor for valor, in 2009. But recent months have seen the resurgence of an effort to upgrade their awards to Medals of Honor. This move has partially been driven by retired Army Master Sgt. Susan Keophila, a veteran of Task Force Ramadi, who has written letters to lawmakers and to Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Jim Amos, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus and Obama himself, asking them to right the “injustice” that allowed Yale and Haerter to receive a lesser award.

“We had been in country about one month when ... we heard a huge explosion that literally shook the wooden command center we were in,” she wrote in a letter last November. “The explosion was five kilometers away and killed one Marine instantly while the other lay dying of his wounds ... the two Marines never hesitated. They stood their ground firing on the truck bearing down on them.”

The effort has also been the subject of a Whitehouse.gov petition and a Change.org petition, which remains open with more than 38,000 signatures.

Bishop said he introduced his legislation after discussing the matter with Haerter’s mother, JoAnn Lyles, who lives in Sag Harbor, N.Y., in his district.

“We’re basically trying to ensure that Jordan and Jonathan, that their memory benefits from the highest possible award and the most thorough review is conducted,” he said.

The rules for awarding the Medal of Honor are stringent; cases like this are typically only reconsidered if new evidence of valor is introduced. At issue in this case is a CBS news video, which emerged in 2009, that shows the truck barreling toward the two Marines’ checkpoint. It’s not clear, Bishop said, that this video was considered when the initial award package was submitted.

Bishop said he believes the likelihood this push will be successful are modest at best, but he said the Marines and their families deserve that chance. The measure has bipartisan support, with co-sponsorship from Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., and Rep. Robert Hurt, R-Va., who represents Yale’s hometown of Burkeville, Va. Prior to filing the bill, Bishop said he had a conversation with Mabus, who declined to advise him either way on pursuing the Medal of Honor push.

“He basically indicated that I should be dealing with the family, and I should be looking to the needs of the family,” he said.

Lyles, who has established a scholarship in honor of her son and organizes participation in road races, tough mudders and other events in his honor, said she supports the Medal of Honor push, but she believes her son’s legacy is most important.

“I am perfectly fine with the Navy Cross; it’s a wonderful award,” she said. “To me, it’s that his name is not forgotten, and Jonathan’s name is not forgotten.”
    ----------

JRS - There has been a petition with over 35,000 signatures to award these Marines the Medal Of Honor.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pres...suicide-bomber
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

jrs
    Feedback Score

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr4233/text

113th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 4233

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 13, 2014

Mr. Bishop of New York (for himself, Mr. Hurt, and Mr. Israel) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

A BILL

To authorize the President to award the Medal of Honor posthumously to Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter and Corporal Jonathan Yale of the Marine Corps for acts of valor during Operation Iraqi Freedom in April 2008.

Authorization for award of the Medal of Honor to Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter and Corporal Jonathan Yale for acts of valor during Operation Iraqi Freedom
    (a)

Waiver of time limitations

Notwithstanding the time limitations specified in sections 6248 and 6250 of title 10, United States Code, or any other time limitation with respect to the awarding of certain medals to persons who served in the Armed Forces, the President may award the Medal of Honor posthumously under section 6241 of such title to Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter and Corporal Jonathan Yale of the Marine Corps for the acts of valor during Operation Iraqi Freedom described in subsection (b) for which they were originally awarded the Navy Cross.
    (b)

Acts of Valor Described

The acts of valor referred to in subsection (a) are the actions of Lance Corporal Jordan C. Haerter and Corporal Jonathan Yale on April 22, 2008, while serving as Riflemen, 3d Platoon, Weapons Company, First Battalion, Ninth Marines, Regimental Combat Team 1, I Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, in defending a checkpoint in Ramadi, Iraq, from a suicide bomber driving a truck carrying a large quantity of explosives and, at the cost of their own lives, saving the lives of more than 50 Marines and Iraqi policemen.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i'm finding this terribly difficult for words.

Feedback Score

They were indeed, 'Semper Fidelis'.
    Hunter

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    i'm finding this terribly difficult for words.
    I'm with j427......I have no words. Wait! Words have come to me!

Obama is not good enough to carry those Marines' dirty laundry. I do not expect he will do the right thing.

I am personally humbled by the valor shown by these finest of men. No too sure I measure up.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Those young Men were from the 1/9 United States Marines? Not even a question to be asked? M.O.H. for them both.
    I have a feeling they will both receive the M.O.H.. Sometimes it takes awhile to put all the facts together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marines-reunion-2013-001.jpg  

"Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

One was from 2/8 and one from 1/9. I remember because I was there in Ramadi supporting both of those units from 2007 to 2008. I was half a mile away from there in a place we called "Snake Pit". I am originally from Kalifornia and have been through many earthquakes but I will tell you I have never felt such a violent shake as when that dump truck went off. I got to the scene about 30 minutes afterwards because we were one of the closest units to the Nasser IP Station where the bomb went off. We found the engine block of the dump truck a good distance away in some poor guy's house. One of the guys was only in country for about a week and the other was a week away from going home.

Semper Fi brothers, I'll catch up with you someday.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abukai08 View Post
    One was from 2/8 and one from 1/9. I remember because I was there in Ramadi supporting both of those units from 2007 to 2008. I was half a mile away from there in a place we called "Snake Pit". I am originally from Kalifornia and have been through many earthquakes but I will tell you I have never felt such a violent shake as when that dump truck went off. I got to the scene about 30 minutes afterwards because we were one of the closest units to the Nasser IP Station where the bomb went off. We found the engine block of the dump truck a good distance away in some poor guy's house. One of the guys was only in country for about a week and the other was a week away from going home.

Semper Fi brothers, I'll catch up with you someday.
    First and foremost, Abukai, I have thanked you for your service before, but I'm not sure if I knew that you had been in Ramadhi. Either way, again, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!! Secondly, I have been following this since 2010, and those two men deserve the MOH. If they are not awarded the MOH, it will be a huge travesty. Memorial Day weekend I was telling my 22 yo daughter about their story and their sacrifice, and I started crying while telling her about it. I was just overcome with emotion. The fact that these two young men NEVER wavered, is testament to the mentality and training of even the lowliest Marine Rifleman. Semper Fi my brethren, living or dead.

Parris Island Class of 1982. (3rd Battalion "I" Company) Then I went "Air Wing" , H&MS 29 New River MCAS, Jacksonville, N.C.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.