Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Las Vegas Is “Screwed”; The Water Situation “Is As Bad As You Can Imagine”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I said it fifty years ago in 4th grade geography class. We need to drill a tunnel from the west coast to death valley and create a sea like there was 10,000 years ago.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Now there's an article about the mid-west running out. Fact or fear mongering?

The Last Drop: America's Breadbasket Faces Dire Water Crisis - NBC News

America's Breadbasket Faces Dire Water Crisis

Editor's note: This story is one in a series on a crisis in America's Breadbasket –the depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer and its effects on a region that helps feed the world.

VEGA, Texas–While a high-pitched wind rattles the windows, and assaults a flapping, fraying American flag in the front yard, Lucas Spinhirne knows he’s staring into an abyss that many in Texas—and across the world—may be forced to contemplate.

The once bounteous quantities of water that flowed under his farmland in the Texas Panhandle are a distant memory–pumped to the last drop. Now there is only one source of water for his wheat and sorghum: the sky above. “We try to catch anything that falls,” Spinhirne says.

The scope of this mounting crisis is difficult to overstate: The High Plains of Texas are swiftly running out of groundwater supplied by one of the world’s largest aquifers – the Ogallala. A study by Texas Tech University has predicted that if groundwater production goes unabated, vast portions of several counties in the southern High Plains will soon have little water left in the aquifer to be of any practical value.
    Black Blade likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

We've been 'running out of water' since I was a kid in the '50s, and I'm sure before that. Where I live here in S.W. Florida, I can dig an 18" hole at night, and when I get up in the morning it will be 1/3 to 1/2 full of water. Water up the butt.
    HOWEVER; our drinking water is freaking third-world. I had it assayed some years back and was told it has everything in it except live cysts. It's too dangerous to even shower in because one inhales the mist while showering.
    Settling filters coming into the house and KDFs on all the faucets.
    I'm old and don't give a shit, but my grandsons are going to pay hell if they don't stick with the program.
    Hunter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.