Gunco Forums banner

Las Vegas Is “Screwed”; The Water Situation “Is As Bad As You Can Imagine”

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  hunter_02 
#1 ·
Las Vegas Is “Screwed”; The Water Situation “Is As Bad As You Can Imagine”

zerohedge.com / by Tyler Durden on 06/30/2014 17:20

“It’s just going to be screwed. And relatively quickly,” warns Tim Barnett, of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, telling The Telegraph, the situation in Las Vegas is “as bad as you can imagine”. After a devastating, 14-year drought drained the reservoir that supplies 90% of the city’s water, the apparently endless supply of water is an illusion as Las Vegas population has soared. As Barnett ominously concludes, “unless it can find a way to get more water from somewhere, Las Vegas is out of business. Yet they’re still building, which is stupid.”

As The Telegraph reports, as with many things in Sin City, the apparently endless supply of water is an illusion.

READ MORE

Black Blade: Last time I passed by Lake Powell it looked a lot different with boat ramps way upslope. If I lived in Las Vegas or Henderson I would be trying to sell and bail.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's definitely a problem. No water=no life.

#7 ·
The faucet is magic. You just turn it, and there's water!

Most people never grasp that a given location only has so much water available. They keep piling into an area, suck it dry, start piping in water from other areas, extend their pipelines...

Rome built its first aqueduct about 300 BC, but for most of its history it was short of drinkable water. The southern part of the People's Republic of California is a water vampire, supporting a megalopolis in semi-arid land. The problem isn't "not enough water", it's "too freaking many people."

#8 ·
Alarming Drop In Lake Mead And Colorado River Water In Drought Plagued West

July 3, 2014, by Ken Jorgustin

Everything involved with our continued existence depends upon water.

Much of the west is arid and would not support the population and agriculture that it does today without the technology to do so — until now…

Read more…

#9 ·
Before Las Vegas there was Newport. Newport Kentucky had open illegal gambling up until JFK took office. Newport Ky is in Cincinnati's backyard. Top name entertainment use to work and play here back in the day.

#10 ·
you could just as well say "the USA is screwed-- and LV/nevada is screwed AND running out of water--"

i'm sure some communist is working on "legislation" to somehow make more water--

the problem is you can paper over a lot of shit and the media will buy it --cause it is all just paper-- ask wall-street--

but when the water runs dry it just DRY--

the old saying "when your out of beer the partys over--but when your out of water ????"

#12 ·
Here in the east we seem at least for now are getting a fare share of rain which is a good thing. Why don't the western states just start to build these desalination plants off the west coast? Spend the money or I guess die!

#13 ·
"The bottom line - get there now, watch the fountains, drink the water, swim in the lake... (and sell your house)" :lol:
Las Vegas Is "Screwed"; The Water Situation "Is As Bad As You Can Imagine" | Zero Hedge

Like Sodom and Gomorra it is Gods will this is happening. Gambling, prostitution, drugs, lying, cheating, uh what else? Oh yeah pickpockets, frigging pick pockets. Vegas is doomed it is written in the scriptures, God has willed it be gone.
How in the Frig can those people look at the lake dropping that much in 14 years and what, their praying for a miracle? keep building? Frigging mo-rons. "Oh the dropping lake, lack of water? Oh hell not to worry, God will make it rain tomorrow, relax chill keep building." Frigging idiots, they deserve whatever they get.
Dig a deeper well, drill take the last few drops. Holy sheeeeet I have seen stupid, but those people got to take the frigging cake.

#14 ·
You just have to know how to work Vegas.

You need to dress up nice (no jeans and T's .. suit is required) put up 1000 in cash for chips and step into the high rollers areas.

Shrimp as big as you hand for free. All the alcohol you could drink and free cigs too.

After you were full and drunk then cash out your chips and go home. Now thats how you worked Vegas!

Now lets get to the MOB. They founded that city. Back in the day (70's) the Feds busted them all and took them down. They are still there but underground.

Case in point, there was this ole hit-man Mobster that came out of hiding. He was in witness protection and ducked that. He had the Feds and the Mob looking for him but he stayed underground and off the radar. I can't remember his name.

Anyway this guy wrote a tell all book and it was on the news back in the day. Apparently he was dying of cancer and wanted the money from the book to go to his Kids.

He named Oscar Goodman the Mayor of vegas at the time as the "Lawyer for the mob". He claimed "we used to have meetings, Oscar was there and he knew who we were going to whack in advance".

I had blown off a CSI (Construction Specifications Institute) dinner with Oscar Goodman as a speaker. I showed up just to hear what he would say. Would he not mention it? Would he just blow it off? Would he deny it?

Well we got him some Bombay Gin. He is the spokesman for that crap and donates the money to charity.

Anyway...the first words out of his mouth were..'I am Oscar Goodman, Mayor of Las Vegas ...but I used to the lawyer for the Mob.

When I was the lawyer for the Mob everything was good. I didn't need a reservation for a restaurant. They threw old ladies with walkers out of line for me!

I never got a traffic ticket, they knew who I was and let me go.

Then I got elected mayor.

My secretary told me I had 2 phone call messages, one from the President. I said
the President of what?

Secretary: It was Bill Clinton President of the US congratulating you on your election.

Goodman: Who was the second call from?

Secretary: The reputed Heroin dealer you are defending congratulating you on your election."

I had to laugh!

Then he got into this riff about how after he was elected mayor he had to stand in the back of the line at restaurants.

He told a story about being stopped by a cop for speeding.

Oscar told the cop ''I pay your salary (actually not, we the tax payers pay that).

And the Cop said .."then you should know I am doing a very good job, here is your ticket!"

You just gotta love that Policeman!

I had to laugh!

Ahh. Vegas..I miss it even if there ain't no water!

#15 ·
STG you nailed it. :) Yeah I really really think those people don't have a damn clue, ah hell we will figure something out? Chinatown the movie kind of put the light on the development of the City of Angles. Hell without water, L.A. or for that matter any civilization is doomed.
Chinatown (1974) - IMDb
Yup just another day, no problemas, keep gambling keep dem fountains flowing. If your rich in Vegas, hell water your lawn. L.O.s show up, you know the mayor.
L.A. is next, but they have a chance being close too the ocean. Hell Nappie, once he has his illegals settled in to secure the winning votes. Federal monies will be on the way for a de-salinization plant. Eat drink be merry, tomorrow is just another day.

#16 ·
Ahhhh 4th, I remembered. It takes us ole guys a while

The book was written by Frank Cullota who worked for Tony 'the ant" Spilotro who in turn reported to the Chi- town machine. If he was alive today he would be taking marching orders from NappyHead.

The Ant murdered at least 22 people. But him and his brother met their end in '86. The Mob invited him and his bro to a place to induct his brother into the ranks.(sound like a movie?) They beat them to death in front of each other.

There used to be honor among thieves. That went out a long time ago. They are just like ganbanger thugs now.

Kill them all and let God sort them out I tells ya!

#18 ·
the big one is going to drop LA and so-cal into the trench one day-- their going to get all the water they want for free from good old mother nature--

i hear the big sharks are making a come back too--LOL

i kind of miss the old mob run LV too.

now it is a corporate , wall-street , fricking disney-land run by east coast bankers. the clintons probably own a big share of it now--

#19 ·
Was checking a lot in the Keys next to my Buddies house, asked him how much they wanted? He said $15 grand, holy sheet this was only a few years back I almost levitated out of the damn chair.
After I calmed down my Bro said you want the rest of the story? Purchaser had to wait 5 years upon obtaining title too the land to apply for a permit to build and at the present time they were not issuing permits to build. WTF now that sounds like a great deal, yeah right.
Are the Keys nice? Well yeah. But for those who were their quite a few years back, no not anymore. Development destroyed the place, to much to fast. So they just shut things down and no more construction, done. Kind of somewhat to late but better than nothing.
If Vegas thinks sinking that Trillion dollar $$ well and draining the last of those lakes water is gonna save them, their frigging dreaming. Rocky mountain snows can only send them so much damn water. Bad snow years, no water sorry.

#20 ·
4th,

This is very serendipitous. Having lived in vegas and knowing the Low Information Voter mentality I want to market my new product out there. It will go over like gangbusters.

I am seeking investors. I can get you in on the ground floor.

The product is called "Wet Dream". Under that it says.."makes 10,000 gallons of water". In small print (font size 2) it says 'Dehydrated water". It is in a packet and is offered at the low introductory price of $99.95 per packet.

The packet contains a mix of stuff (dirt, a little bit of salt and some minerals, its a proprietary formula) basically every thing left over if you dehydrated 10,000 gallons of water.

The instructions are simple.

1.) Open and pour contents of packet into a tank large enough to hold 10,000 gallons.

2.) Add 10,000 gallons of Water.

3.) Mix well.

4th, we are going to make a killing on this! Cha-Ching! Anyone stupid enough to move out into the middle of the desert and then plant a lawn will be a potential customer! :lol:

And best of all......its a Green product!

#22 ·
Now there's an article about the mid-west running out. Fact or fear mongering?

The Last Drop: America's Breadbasket Faces Dire Water Crisis - NBC News

America's Breadbasket Faces Dire Water Crisis

Editor's note: This story is one in a series on a crisis in America's Breadbasket –the depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer and its effects on a region that helps feed the world.

VEGA, Texas–While a high-pitched wind rattles the windows, and assaults a flapping, fraying American flag in the front yard, Lucas Spinhirne knows he’s staring into an abyss that many in Texas—and across the world—may be forced to contemplate.

The once bounteous quantities of water that flowed under his farmland in the Texas Panhandle are a distant memory–pumped to the last drop. Now there is only one source of water for his wheat and sorghum: the sky above. “We try to catch anything that falls,” Spinhirne says.

The scope of this mounting crisis is difficult to overstate: The High Plains of Texas are swiftly running out of groundwater supplied by one of the world’s largest aquifers – the Ogallala. A study by Texas Tech University has predicted that if groundwater production goes unabated, vast portions of several counties in the southern High Plains will soon have little water left in the aquifer to be of any practical value.

#23 ·
We've been 'running out of water' since I was a kid in the '50s, and I'm sure before that. Where I live here in S.W. Florida, I can dig an 18" hole at night, and when I get up in the morning it will be 1/3 to 1/2 full of water. Water up the butt.
HOWEVER; our drinking water is freaking third-world. I had it assayed some years back and was told it has everything in it except live cysts. It's too dangerous to even shower in because one inhales the mist while showering.
Settling filters coming into the house and KDFs on all the faucets.
I'm old and don't give a shit, but my grandsons are going to pay hell if they don't stick with the program.
Hunter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.