Thread: do you carry! would you shoot!!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default do you carry! would you shoot!!!

again posting carry concealed info here as we do not have concealed carry section, instead of the facebook post and jokes/humor post this is firearms related as is the subject

read on

Gang Member Shot Man Who Was Also Carrying A Gun | The Daily Caller

A Florida man who had every good reason to carry a firearm for self-protection used it to defend himself Wednesday evening after a teenage gang member with a long rap sheet pulled a gun on him and allegedly opened fire.

Virgis Canteen, 43, and Davion Smith, 14, had encountered each other before.

According to Lakeland police records, Canteen accused the young gang member of burglarizing his apartment last month, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Tension between the two escalated Wednesday as Smith and two other teens began taunting Canteen.

According to a witness who saw the encounter unfold, Smith pulled a handgun during the harassment. And according to Canteen, Smith fired first, striking him in the

Read more: Gang Member Shot Man Who Was Also Carrying A Gun | The Daily Caller

“upper extremities,” according to a report filed by Lakeland police Sgt. Gary Gross, the Sentinel reported.

Canteen shot back, hitting Smith “numerous times.” He was transported to a Lakeland hospital and pronounced dead about half-an-hour later, at 8:25 p.m.

Despite his age, Smith had amassed an extensive police record. According to the Sentinel, court records showed that Smith had been convicted of felony armed robbery with a gun twice since the age of 12. He also had convictions for burglary of a habitat and for battery on a public or school official.

The Lakeland Ledger provided more detail of Smith’s rap sheet. That paper reported that the known gang member was arrested in Nov. 2012 following a shooting at a farmer’s market that left a 79-year-old man wounded. Besides armed robbery, Smith and six other accomplices were charged with attempted murder.

According to the Lakeland Ledger, Canteen does not have a police record in Polk County.

Though it is unknown whether Canteen had a concealed carry permit, he had ample reason to carry a firearm.

He suffered life-threatening injuries after he was shot during a robbery four years ago, the Ledger reported.

Canteen, who, according to the paper, is known as “the DVD man” in his neighborhood because he buys and sells movies, is the “perfect” neighbor, according to a woman who lives by him.

“He looks out for everybody,” the neighbor told the Lakeland Ledger. “He didn’t bother nobody.”

Both newspapers reported that Canteen was transported to the hospital following the shooting but his medical condition is undisclosed.

Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yes I do carry and I would /and have defended myself before.

Even in Vt where it's relatively safe 99% of the time, lots of drug dealers have moved into the area and the incidence's of firearms offenses and assaults are on the increase, with lots of stabbings in the Rutland and Burlington areas the last couple years. There's even been a upsurge in home invasions also,,so do I carry,,,,Hell Ya. You betcha ,,,,,24/7,,,

I'm to bunged up to do otherwise nowadays, I just wouldn't be able to physically defend myself in any meaningful way otherwise sense my fall. I won't become a victim without a fight.

And I'm going to try to get into either the Mass. Firearms Institute or the Central Mass. Firearms Academy to obtain a carry permit that's good in 31 states ,,as soon as an opening is available. Which is very tough to get into either , sense they offer advanced training and certifications to , law enforcement, swat teams , Blackwater personal, and some special forces units, so it's hard for a regular guy like myself to get in. There booked solid months in advance normally and they cater mostly to LEO's and swat teams. They both offer many different levels of training from very basic to advanced courses. All the courses I'd want to take would eat up the better part of a week and end up costing quite a bit, but I'm defiantly interested.

It's been years sense I've had any formal training and I think it's damn well time I get back up to speed with some current training. I'm sure I could handle most any situation but more training sure wouldn't hurt anything sense tactics and laws have changed so much lately. I get real nervous carrying a bunch of cash around now in non-gun friendly states which I often do so a permit would help ease my mind some. I'm always picking up this gun or car part when I'm out and about and we all know cash is king when comes to doing business.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

YES. Lungs are kaput. I need to stay off the dance floor.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    they cater mostly to LEO's and swat teams.
    It's probably not applicable to your situation, but you might look into finding some other people who are also interested, then forming something like "The Vermont Public Safety Committee." Form it up as a formal club with dues, then hit up the city, county, and state for grant money to offset training costs.

It may sound crazy, but grant money goes to all kinds of crazy things, and for this one, you definitely have an "in the public interest" handle.

Alternatively, as a group, you might be able to pool your funds and pay a recognized expert to come in just for you guys, teaching what you specifically want to know.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The problem is finding people that will stick with something once they start it(same as in any other organization) and say they'll do something then don't, putting all the work on 2-3 people,,,and finding a range to sponsor such a thing, which there's almost none of,, around here.

I mostly just want to get some current training to get my situational awareness back to a better level than what it is and learn new tactics other than what I learned 45 years ago. And honestly I'm not all that interested in joining groups.

It's more just something that's been on my bucket list for quite some time. I have no issue with my shooting skills, I just need some professional guidance on techniques and methods and better holster draw ect. and someone to help in pointing out the finer points of what I'm doing wrong and to learn proper methods from them. I just want a more advanced level of training for myself than where I'm at now as far as concealed carry goes.

The training I had back in the day was for a different kinda jungle, I want to know what street smarts I'm missing,,woods and jungles I could probably still handle, it's the new street thugs that worry me more. What's the old saying,,,"Know thy enemy" that and the finer points is what I need guidance on.

It's sad we have to even consider these type of things nowadays,,it was never an issue till recently with all the drugs and gangs showing up everywhere. Now that we all need to be aware of whats going on around us for our own protection more, I don't want to learn what I don't know,,,, the hard way. I want to stay one step ahead of the game, and I think it's the only wise thing to do with things as they are.

One big thing I haven't questioned the schools about yet,,, is that I wish to train with my own guns, and I've heard it's a bitch to get the permits in order to bring them into state,, that I have to research more or call one of these out fits to see how to, accomplish that. I honestly don't know what's involved.

To me even the same model gun feels different to me sense I've tweaked most all my guns and I really want to get the most out of the training by using my own guns that I'll be carrying, I'm used to how they feel, shoot and just where the triggers break, so that will help in getting the most out of the course,,not having to learn the feel of a different gun. I'm planing on it being a winter thing more than likely,,summers are just to busy for me with all this playing around with hot rods going on!!! I need a winter distraction sense I'll probably be giving up doing the ice fishing tourneys and store appearances starting this year. I'm getting tired of long hours on the road doing them and getting hardly enough out of it to make it worth my while.

It's time to play now I'm retired!!!

Feedback Score

carry every day.........

pull the trigger ?

won't know till that need arises, hopefully it never will

anyone that hasn't fired their weapon in anger and says they will are talking out their ass. you won't know till you are facing the wolf in person, simple as that

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That's a fact PuppyChow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Was taking a DOJ class when my approval came up. Always good to have a papertrail to cya.Glad for the additional training.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I want to know why this kid was walking the streets in the first place!! seems to me a judge or two need to be examined , the kid had how many gun related crimes against him at age 14 ????? Who let this punk out ????

the issue I see is the guy confronted the kid initially. That IMO should have been a a job for the cops. Once the kid pulled a gun Its game on IMO an yes you have to shoot or die as he almost did . Im not sure confronting gang bangers is a good idea . he had run ins with him before an must have known he was dangerous .

Its hard to say what to do with out being there an knowing every little detail . If being armed gave this guy a feeling of security an power to think it was OKfor him to confront some one then he IMO needed to rethink things. Persoanly If I was a concealed carrier ( Im not yet ) The fact I was armed should not make more eager togo confront some one .Id only want to protect myself from people trying to hurt or kill me or my family. I would not think well hell im armed screw this punk im going to go deal with him or confront him. if I could not do it unarmed I should not be doing ti armed IMO Hope that makes some sense.

how ever regardless of the situation or how things got to that point if some one were to draw on me to shot me Im going to try an shoot them first ( I hope that what id do ) I don't think any one is going to say well I got my self into this an im in the wrong so ill let them shoot me .

IMO if you have a concealed so you think you in a better position or tougher to confront people out side you home then you have it for the wrong reason .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I want to know why this kid was walking the streets in the first place!! seems to me a judge or two need to be examined , the kid had how many gun related crimes against him at age 14 ????? Who let this punk out ????

IMO if you have a concealed so you think you in a better position or tougher to confront people out side you home then you have it for the wrong reason .
    Both very good points 1biggun,,not ever having to worry about permits here in Vt I've often wondered just how many people in states that do require them ,,,, have them for the wrong reasons. I basically started caring due to having larger amounts of cash on my person from my business and by having to make several thousands of dollar deposits from the bar I worked at that I'd deposit at 2-3AM in the morning. And it just became the norm for me to do so, so now I feel naked if I'm not.

Otherwise I wouldn't have started caring till just a few years ago when the crime rates started to increase. After getting hurt and not being in good physical condition and all these gang bangers and heroin dealers moving into the area relatively close by has prompted me to carry 24/7 nowadays. Walking around all crunched over most of the time, I'd appear to be a good mark for a robbery the way I look now.

I hope that I never have to again and that other people that carry are as consensus as I am about it, but I can understand how it could be a two edge sword if people don't take caring as seriously as I do. Proper training is a must IMHO, no matter how long you've owned guns.

Some people just think it's cool, or whatever, to carry and those are the ones I'd worry about myself, many have 0 formal training or any military training nor have they served in a combat zone where they have used a firearm to actually kill someone. Folks like that might not be good candidates till they do. Many see movies and they think it's easy and you'll never miss cause you can hit a paper target constantly,,there's a Hell of allot more to it than that.

That's one of the main reasons I want to go back to a training facility to brush up so I'm not behind the curve,caring a firearm is no game, cool ,or anything else but,,, deadly serious, and if you are going to carry, you need to have as much training as you can possibly get,,,even if you've had guns forever. And if anyone carries for those above reasons, they'd better think twice. Hell I got my first gun in 1959 and and I STILL feel I could use more training,and if anyone thinks they don't need to continue to train,,

there just kidding themselves. And that holds doubly true for new gunners/carry permit holders.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.