Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What is the Best Guard Dawg?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    Bullmastiff, but they shit by the pound. They were breed to down pouchers without mauling them. We had a beautiful pair of pure breed Bullmastiffs with the adult male hitting a very trim 185 lbs. One day he almost caught a couple riding a bicycle built for 2. Should have seen how fast they had to peddle.

Now I have a Jack Russell and a small mix breed. Just something to bark that will wake me up.
    Check out the Bullmastiff in the YouTube link from Tanvil's post. (the trainer just called it a Mastiff) They are definately a dog to be reconed with!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Check out the Bullmastiff in the YouTube link from Tanvil's post. (the trainer just called it a Mastiff) They are definately a dog to be reconed with!
    Very true! I think ALL the dogs listed above have the potential to raised and trained to be a fine working dog. The best advice I could give is to weigh as many pros and con as you can of each breed. That should help you lean towards one or another. Then start checking breeders and bloodlines. Breeding is key. I've seen Labs that are afraid of the water and Dobermans that are afraid of cats. I also had my neighbors Jack Russel attack my pitbull once too. Not a good idea but that little fella had more sand than most big dogs. It's best to look into 'working lines' not 'show lines'. Some AKC and UKC breeding practices are questionable, I had a beautiful German Shephard that was a cripple by the time he was 9. The guys that are working with the Schutzhund methods usually are breeding hearty animals. You want performance not looks and conformity. If you do decide to go with an American Pit Bull Terrier, there is a man in Montana with the best to be found, I'll give you his #.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hip dysplasia, I believe is what you might be refering to. Frightening....

I have always really liked very large dogs. Both our Bullmastiffs were pet quality, pure breed by highly regarded (By Bullmastiff society) recommended local breeders. I agree 100% in doing your homework. Unfortunately both our dogs (Thor and The Toecutter (ever seen MadMax?)) died of bone cancer when they were right around 10 years old (each came from a different breeder). They were very gentle with toddlers and all sizes of kids. Didn't have a mean bone in their bodies. At their size, they didn't need to be mean and badass. Very nice deep bark. Just a single, deep WOOF and I've had salesmen tell me nevermind as I opened the door and they were headed on their way quickly back down the driveway.

On the other hand, pound for pound and ounce for ounce the Jack Russell is pure hell on wheels and carry their balls one behind the other for speed. Just wish the Jack Russell Terrier came in the 50lb size. Would be next of kin to the Tazmanian Devil. All balls but just not very smart. I've seen ours stomp, charge and bark at a new trash can placed in the kitchen. Like I said, pure hell on wheels just dumber than dirt

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

#1 GSD

They're Good for a least 12 years and are the smartest of the Breeds listed.

TJB

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Woof!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I love dogs and have had a few, my favorites were a male Akita and a female Rottweiler. The Akita was so protective of my daughter that when anyone just raised their voice he got between them and my daughter and watched. My Rotty was a big female and she was so darn smart and they were a good team(after 6 yrs my wife still tears up when she sees a pretty Rott). But now I have a Rotty-Dane mix that I got from the pound after both my Akita and Rotty got cancer withen a year and a half of each other. He's big, friendly to people, and he's a pretty good watch dog.
    I really think someone like Tanvil that knows what they're doing training dogs could bring out the best of any suitable breed. Now if I moved out in the country or up into the mountains, far from help, I'd look into those Caucasian Mountain Dogs, but they look to be real handful for the owner and too agressive for city or suburbs.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Why is there so much bone cancer in big dogs? I lost my RED Doberman from that.

:-(

Feedback Score

German Rottweiler (Not American )

Feedback Score

I had an Airedale once. Dumbest damn dog I ever had but it had a real sweet disposition.

Labradors make superb guard dogs and then my daughter has this dang WOLF/Husky/White Fang looking beast that does a good job of watching over her family.
    Welcome to the 21st century, things are going to be very different.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Neapolitan Mastiff (AKA Mastini in native Italy). With small kids (to be guarded) I will settle for nothing else. They have a huge attitude problem but if they grow up with kids, they are fine. NO BETTER GUARD DOGS. Romans used them for fighting and guarding in wars!

"Il Colosseo" Neapolitan Mastiff Community

Not for everyone. Its like keeping a horse. The diet and the meds cost more than a human.

at 9 months old here, about 150 lbs. His dad weighed 225 Lbs. Good breeders charge start off at 3.5k+

here is the dad

Or just let rip a 1919 burst

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.