Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: best choice shtf rifle?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

CORRECT !!!!!

Prepare NOW!!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I tend to go old school. My "Tombo" katana for when I am up close and personal. What the heck, got to get my money's worth after all those years as a student of Muso Jikiden Eishen Ryu and all the fun with Tameshigiri.

That said, there's nothing like having a couple CZ-82s and a Makarov or two on hand.

Then for when you want to "reach out and touch someone", it's hard to beat the Yugo M76 (8mm mauser). The favorite of those silly Serbs and Sarajevo snipers everywhere.

I picked this one up today:

BTW, fairly cheap surplus Yugo 198 gr. M75 sniper grade ammo is widely available now.

Then again, just about any AK will do in a pinch - designed so even an ignorant peasant could use and abuse without cleaning.

- Black Blade
    Last edited by Black Blade; 10-11-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Feedback Score

AK-47 for sure,......& i agree with the M76,..in process of assembling one right now.....and any reliable 9mm pistol,..sig is my preference.....

Feedback Score

Post1911 IMHO...

Shotguns are useless in most combat. I'd always bet on the guy with a rifle. Pistols are purely secondary weapons. If you have to use it, you've made some serious tactical errors. That said I think it boils down to needing .40SW or .45APC, period. Now on to rifles. A Ruger 10/22 is great for small game, but about as useful as a shotgun in real combat.

An AR15 and AK47 are decent in urban or short range environments. The AR is more accurate, the AK far more reliable. Try hitting a target at 300 yds with your AK or try not cleaning your AR for 600 rounds.

To me that leaves real 'battle rifles'. M1A, M1 Garand, FAL, HK91, etc... these can be a matter of personal preference. Also many decent bolt .308, 30-06 weapons are a reasonable choice as well.

A lot depends on your group. Our current military does not need real battle rifles, they can call in support. Can you? A mix of AR platforms and .308 is probably best. In urban areas more AR, in the field more .308. You'd be amazed at how much more effective a group armed with AR's is, if you add in a couple of .308's. No man is an island. Remember that.

Feedback Score

Last edited by akguy85; 06-28-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MirageGuy View Post
    Shotguns are useless in most combat. I'd always bet on the guy with a rifle. Pistols are purely secondary weapons. If you have to use it, you've made some serious tactical errors. That said I think it boils down to needing .40SW or .45APC, period. Now on to rifles. A Ruger 10/22 is great for small game, but about as useful as a shotgun in real combat.

An AR15 and AK47 are decent in urban or short range environments. The AR is more accurate, the AK far more reliable. Try hitting a target at 300 yds with your AK or try not cleaning your AR for 600 rounds.

To me that leaves real 'battle rifles'. M1A, M1 Garand, FAL, HK91, etc... these can be a matter of personal preference. Also many decent bolt .308, 30-06 weapons are a reasonable choice as well.

A lot depends on your group. Our current military does not need real battle rifles, they can call in support. Can you? A mix of AR platforms and .308 is probably best. In urban areas more AR, in the field more .308. You'd be amazed at how much more effective a group armed with AR's is, if you add in a couple of .308's. No man is an island. Remember that.
    You would be surprised at what a .22 can do.I would not underestimate it.Now put a can on it and you have a very effective tool
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Rifles, like golf clubs, are specialized in what they do best. You can play a round of golf with just one club, but unless you're Happy Gilmore you will not score well. That's why I own a wide assortment and plan on "bugging in" should the SHTF. So my answer as to the "best" is "all of them"!

OTOH, if forced to travel with just what you can carry, a .22 is king because the ammo is so light and small you can carry a bunch. In that sitch I would most likely be in "survival mode", not fighting a war, so avoidance of trouble at all costs is the order of the day. Shorts in a long bbl rifle would take out anybody that needed it with minimal sound out to 50 yards or so.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I now have four 9mm AR15 rifles.

But, the UZI is still slung around my neck for good measure.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

in the end it is all going to be about AMMO.

people like to go on about which caliber , what rifle and so on is the absolute best. if it is EMPTY you are SOL!

i wold take a loaded .22 over a empty 300 mag any day--LOL!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I would have a 124Gr, 9mm AR15 with the bipod and red dot scope.

Plus, maybe a dozen mags full.

I machined a dozen 9mm UZI mags to work in these 9mm AR15s.

PMC 124Gr, 9mm stuff STUFFED in those right now.

Good batteries in the EOTECH.

Drinking BEER and giving thanks to my LORD!
    M U S I B I K E

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.