Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: best choice shtf rifle?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Some of you guys better think about close combat. 100 meters and less. What do most infantry operations use? M1 carbine, AK47, UZI, STEN, MP5, MP40, PPSH41, AUG, SOUMI, CETME, .........

NOT SNIPER WEAPONS!

firearms enthusiast kurts_armory's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

i found this site a while back and thought it had some good information(if not a little paranoid)
    http://shtfblog.com/
    gun control means hitting your target

Feedback Score

If SHTF your problem is where do you live, or plan on living? If in a urban setting a few 22 rifles (Take Downs) might be appropriate, stashed at more than one location. In the suburbs a good 40 cal. hand gun & 30-30 might do. On the road an AK or shotgun for close encounters, and 308 for distance. If in tinbuck too a 50 might be the ticket. Its your circumstances what will dictate what you need.
    Xfrog

Feedback Score

I'll reiterate the .308. It's a great 'sniper' round, but also good for closer quarters. It's readily available, and a NATO standard round. If you have fantasies about clearing buildings with your FA 9mm, I'm here to tell you a .308 would be a better choice (I'm discounting overpenetration here, since we're talking about SHTF scenarios.) In a close combat situation your best advantage is numbers, not pistol caliber smgs. If I could only have one rifle, it would be a .308 bolt gun. If I could have multiple I'd add some others, but pistol caliber carbines would be some of the last. I don't think anyone has the definitive truth, as circumstances vary, but I am a combat vet and my choices reflect my observations.

Gene T.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

22lr
    30/30
    30-06
    12ga

it is impossible to pick "one" gun. too many factors. what is good for me is not good for you.

Feedback Score

Darnit, I can't figure out the 'Obama' thing in yoru sig, can you resize?

No caliber is perfect for ever situation, but we're talking about the best compromise if you can only have one (unless i misunderstand the conversation). Ideally you'd have 5-6 or more firearms, one suited for every situation, but picking one involves making compromises...

GsT

Feedback Score

DSA FN-FAL in .308, with a folding stock for transport, riding shotgun in car/trucks etc..., Every round will have to count!, Robust design, almost as reliable as the AK. Parts are in good supply. They were important to many African Nations that have had many SHTF conditions, that have lasted from days to years, if you see film clips from these nations, the FN-FAL and the AK remain!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'll reiterate the .308. It's a great 'sniper' round, but also good for closer quarters. It's readily available, and a NATO standard round. If you have fantasies about clearing buildings with your FA 9mm, I'm here to tell you a .308 would be a better choice

IMOA I would not want to be in any room when a 308 win went of it likley would perminatly damage your hearing and ruin your ear drums same can be said for the 44 Mag in a bed room. 308 has way to much over penitration something you can not just discount. way to much recoil. Its a great round but not something i would use to clear a building with. and perticaly with a bolt action long barrel. again IMOA
    I would not go with a 30-30 or other comercial rifle round unless you have a ton of ammo for it but forget about getting any after things go bad. I think military ammo it the way to go.

as far as this whole SHTF scenerio. I seriously doubt that there would be much room clearing or close quarters combat by civilans.
    I would see it as a persional protection and meat provider some thing that can be conceled/ taken down some thing that can be depended on with few moving parts. the ability to be shot quietly and also be used for big game as well as close quarters. I have a savage 223/12ga double barrel combo gun with a 22 LR chamber addapter. it goes on every camping trip and is often in my trunk. it breaks down in seconds I can shot 223/5.56 nato in it for game up to deer or even larger or human threats at long range over 500 yards. I can use the 22 lr adapter for squirls, rabbits or or small game. with 22 subsonis or CB style ammo it is quiter than a pellet rifle. with the 12 guage bottom barrel I can shoot any flying food as well as stop an intruder comming into my room. with 12 guage slugs I can shoot out to 100 yards on deer as well or but a big hole in any threat. It can also shoot tear gas rounds an rubber ball for non leathal stopping power, as well as good old rock salt. there are even gernade lanchers for the 12 guage as well as signial flares. it shoots the three most common ammo types on the planet there are also adapters for 9mm 357 44 mag 410 ect. and is very very reliable. it is not a militay assult weapon that would be the first thing conscifcated. It will not shoot a 30 round mag but it will shoot a barrel full of buckshot followed buy a 223 round as fast as you can pull the triger and work the barrel selector. it has a sling and a scope that can be added. If SHTF im heading to the hills not to town to clear buildings. A AR or AK along with a 22 lr addapter would also be a good choice but IMOA I would want a shot gun as well

Shotgun Conversion Adapters By Dina Arms Corp. | e-GunParts.com

some addapters for the sg barrel I made mine from a old 22 lr barrel and is steel and longer and likely more accurate.
    my grab and go gun is close to this
    Shotgun Conversion Adapters By Dina Arms Corp. | e-GunParts.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

This topic is the same as the chicken and the egg...

Are you going to be in survival mode? if so, 22lr or 22mag is great..

Are you in defensive/offensive mode? then you need more firepower.

ever kill a squirrel with a 30-06??

most people own a 12g, a 30-30, a 30-06 and a 22lr....

are we talking survival or "resistance"...

people laugh at a 22lr, but it sure would hurt to get shot with one...in the face...
    the bullet will penetrate a skull, then it bounces around inside...

There is no do-it-all rifle...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

This may sound funny, but I have a friend who kills squirrels with his .308 - and eats them! He handloads with a O Buck pellet over a few grains of (I think) Red Dot. It is accurate at 50 ft and makes about the same noise as a .22. Guess what I'm saying is people can get pretty creative when the chips are down. I guess if I had to go out the back door, I would probably have the M16 shorty with the .22 conversion unit and the Serbu Super Shorty in a holster. On the other hand, I may just take a .22 target pistol. Lots of people poach deer with .22's. Hopefully we never have to make that decision!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.