Gunco Forums banner

best choice shtf rifle?

36K views 141 replies 54 participants last post by  44044 
#1 ·
ok, i wanted to see what the common thought for this subject was. i know that the general consensus is towards the AR, but what are your opinions?

#65 ·
While they are both good guns, I still have a tough time feeling that the 9mm is the perfect round. It's just not heavy enough to do what I feel it needs to do.

Me? Hell, I have (well, had before the boating accident), the M1 Carbine, the AK and the 10/22 for short work. Many rifles in heavier calibers for the longer range stuff. I also have my handguns (.45 and, yes, even 9mm) for the close quarters work.

#66 ·
If i understood the OP correctly, the question here is what is the perfect rifle, singular. You have only one rifle for all SHTF purposes, not a safe full for various purposes. Sorta like asking a pro Golfer to leave his golf bag at home and play the course with one club versus asking him which clubs he brought in his bag today.

#69 ·
30-30 is probably the second most popular hi-power rifle cartridge (after 30-06). In my neck of the woods, everyone has a 30-30.

ak is just for hi-cap purpose.....decent range, good knock down.

gotta think of what ammo you will be able to scrounge..

#72 ·
i think the caliber and firearm are really irrelivent if you are prepared to do what you must to survive, a single shot shotgun will 'get' you a better firearm, in a lawless land you only look out for yourself and those you love, i'd look for the nearest armed thug, whether government sponsored or not (aka JBT) and 'relieve' them of their AR/MP5 and what ever side arm them have

in the USA readily available ammo would basically be 223 and 9mm (law enforcement) so something in one of those calibers, preferably the 223 i believe as it can reach out alot further then a 9mm

#75 ·
After thinking about this since this thread was started I have come to the conclusion that probably the best rifle for the situation described is a 10/22magnum. The ammo might be a bit harder and more expensive to come up with , but still available in most places. The .22Magnum round is light weight and still has plenty of punch. That leads to the obvious question , why don't I have such a rifle?: and the simple answer is that I believe that I have a number of rifles that do as good of a job , just more rifles. I like my mini14 and my FAL and one can not forget the number of aks , but all in all no rifle fits every bill, just in my opinion the ruger 10-22 magnum would be the best package.

#76 ·
If it was down to one gun only for food first and protection second (people in the midwest, south central, and south west would most likely need something with more range because of so much open land). I'd have to say a shotgun in any gauge, I think I'd stay with 12. Semi, pump or lever action preferred in that order just because they hold multiple rounds. Light loads for small game, 00 or slugs for bigger things and further range.

If it was just to protect yourself from the population (my situation), I'd have to lean more towards the AK or AR because of high capacity mags and ease of converting to select fire.
There's just to many variables for different parts of the country because of terrain and population.

I'm getting confused, it's just to hard to come up with a "right answer", I keep telling the voices to go away but they won't listen. :loopeye:

#82 ·
This is always a tough question.

For all around use in a foraging situation, I would choose an M6 Scout. The ugly duckling of Air Force and Navy survival kits. I actually have used my M6 for rabbit, squirrel, and dove. Enough to keep me fed for the 5 days that I decided to challenge myself.

For two legged game, I would go with the AK. If I had my choice, I would take a Siaga 20" barrel in 7.62x39. Try one with Wolf Ammo at 300 meters. See if you can't put 30 rounds into a torso sized target with iron sights. It's not a battle rifle, but that can be fixed. Just search around here on GUNCO for guidance.

For home defense, 12 Ga. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Any model. Own a hacksaw, and a copy of "Red Dawn".....Now seriously; I get asked this question all of the time. People ask about handguns, EBR's, etc. "My friend told me this", or "my brother-in -law told me that". Simple question back is "How often will you practice?". If I get a blank look or a stupid answer, my response is: "12 Ga., Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. If you run out of ammo, it makes an effective club".

End of conversation.

Bellson

#87 ·
it's hard for me to narrow it down to just one weapon. iv'e got 2 ar's, 3ak's a 12 gdg remington riot gun the list goes on.. i like the ar for distance and the ak for the sheer killing power the gauge dont get to close. i would be packing my 357 i know that.depending on the shtf i would try to orgainize a group of friends or family and arm them and start sqeezin..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.