Gunco Forums banner

best choice shtf rifle?

36K views 141 replies 54 participants last post by  44044 
#1 ·
ok, i wanted to see what the common thought for this subject was. i know that the general consensus is towards the AR, but what are your opinions?

#93 ·
I think about it sometime. of course the best gun varies with the application. It is comfortable to imagine having what is needed for the situation.

But, when the SHTF, I think I would be sitting in a place of cover and concealment. I hope I could be at home instead of at work. In a place of safety with a few people I trust. All armed very well. And, calm enough to take on what may erupt.

Nobody is in a contest here to have the Techie weapon better than the rest. It will be a matter of having a cool head, common sense and, a bit of luck. Don't let the need to be a techno head distort your game plan in an attack. Being capable of operating a weapon system correctly and well will prove your survival. Use what will save your life.

As a nation we will all need to support each other when that time does come to pass. Practice and, training will enable you to use good judgment in the thick of it. Don't get over confident with something like TACKTICLE written all over. A lot of these sales people and marketers would most likely not know how to even operate the products they are hired to advertise and promote.

I have been watching these kids on another gun forum. They act and sound like KIDS new to guns. Who has the best or more expensive toy. Mine is bigger and better than yours. Who F*^KING cares? I would NOT want any of these cats next to me in a trench during battle!

Stock up, practice and, be ready folks. Do not get taken out by someone in better mental, physical and, common sense condition than you.

MUSIBIKE

#94 ·
I think about it sometime. of course the best gun varies with the application. It is comfortable to imagine having what is needed for the situation.

But, when the SHTF, I think I would be sitting in a place of cover and concealment. I hope I could be at home instead of at work. In a place of safety with a few people I trust. All armed very well. And, calm enough to take on what may erupt.

Nobody is in a contest here to have the Techie weapon better than the rest. It will be a matter of having a cool head, common sense and, a bit of luck. Don't let the need to be a techno head distort your game plan in an attack. Being capable of operating a weapon system correctly and well will prove your survival. Use what will save your life.

As a nation we will all need to support each other when that time does come to pass. Practice and, training will enable you to use good judgment in the thick of it. Don't get over confident with something like TACKTICLE written all over. A lot of these sales people and marketers would most likely not know how to even operate the products they are hired to advertise and promote.

I have been watching these kids on another gun forum. They act and sound like KIDS new to guns. Who has the best or more expensive toy. Mine is bigger and better than yours. Who F*^KING cares? I would NOT want any of these cats next to me in a trench during battle!

Stock up, practice and, be ready folks. Do not get taken out by someone in better mental, physical and, common sense condition than you.

MUSIBIKE

Very good post.

#100 · (Edited)
shtf

1890 Winchester pump in long rifle. Accurate.......holds 12 rounds.......indestructable and I have built one for my wife and all my sons. One simple source of ammo, 5000 rounds in each house.......take care of food and most defense.
SAR3....223............AR15.......223..accurate....holds 30...indestructable and I have built one for my wife and all my sons.......one simple source of ammo...5000 rounds in each house.......take care of food and most defense.
We can support and supply each other.........llc

Just an afterthought here..............if anyone is setting around trying to figure out what they want to do they will probably be too late. All should be prepared now.........

#102 · (Edited)
I tend to go old school. My "Tombo" katana for when I am up close and personal. What the heck, got to get my money's worth after all those years as a student of Muso Jikiden Eishen Ryu and all the fun with Tameshigiri.

That said, there's nothing like having a couple CZ-82s and a Makarov or two on hand.

Then for when you want to "reach out and touch someone", it's hard to beat the Yugo M76 (8mm mauser). The favorite of those silly Serbs and Sarajevo snipers everywhere.

I picked this one up today:

BTW, fairly cheap surplus Yugo 198 gr. M75 sniper grade ammo is widely available now.

Then again, just about any AK will do in a pinch - designed so even an ignorant peasant could use and abuse without cleaning.

- Black Blade

#104 ·
IMHO...

Shotguns are useless in most combat. I'd always bet on the guy with a rifle. Pistols are purely secondary weapons. If you have to use it, you've made some serious tactical errors. That said I think it boils down to needing .40SW or .45APC, period. Now on to rifles. A Ruger 10/22 is great for small game, but about as useful as a shotgun in real combat.

An AR15 and AK47 are decent in urban or short range environments. The AR is more accurate, the AK far more reliable. Try hitting a target at 300 yds with your AK or try not cleaning your AR for 600 rounds.

To me that leaves real 'battle rifles'. M1A, M1 Garand, FAL, HK91, etc... these can be a matter of personal preference. Also many decent bolt .308, 30-06 weapons are a reasonable choice as well.

A lot depends on your group. Our current military does not need real battle rifles, they can call in support. Can you? A mix of AR platforms and .308 is probably best. In urban areas more AR, in the field more .308. You'd be amazed at how much more effective a group armed with AR's is, if you add in a couple of .308's. No man is an island. Remember that.

#106 ·
Shotguns are useless in most combat. I'd always bet on the guy with a rifle. Pistols are purely secondary weapons. If you have to use it, you've made some serious tactical errors. That said I think it boils down to needing .40SW or .45APC, period. Now on to rifles. A Ruger 10/22 is great for small game, but about as useful as a shotgun in real combat.

An AR15 and AK47 are decent in urban or short range environments. The AR is more accurate, the AK far more reliable. Try hitting a target at 300 yds with your AK or try not cleaning your AR for 600 rounds.

To me that leaves real 'battle rifles'. M1A, M1 Garand, FAL, HK91, etc... these can be a matter of personal preference. Also many decent bolt .308, 30-06 weapons are a reasonable choice as well.

A lot depends on your group. Our current military does not need real battle rifles, they can call in support. Can you? A mix of AR platforms and .308 is probably best. In urban areas more AR, in the field more .308. You'd be amazed at how much more effective a group armed with AR's is, if you add in a couple of .308's. No man is an island. Remember that.
You would be surprised at what a .22 can do.I would not underestimate it.Now put a can on it and you have a very effective tool :)

#107 ·
Rifles, like golf clubs, are specialized in what they do best. You can play a round of golf with just one club, but unless you're Happy Gilmore you will not score well. That's why I own a wide assortment and plan on "bugging in" should the SHTF. So my answer as to the "best" is "all of them"!

OTOH, if forced to travel with just what you can carry, a .22 is king because the ammo is so light and small you can carry a bunch. In that sitch I would most likely be in "survival mode", not fighting a war, so avoidance of trouble at all costs is the order of the day. Shorts in a long bbl rifle would take out anybody that needed it with minimal sound out to 50 yards or so.

#110 ·
I would have a 124Gr, 9mm AR15 with the bipod and red dot scope.

Plus, maybe a dozen mags full.

I machined a dozen 9mm UZI mags to work in these 9mm AR15s.

PMC 124Gr, 9mm stuff STUFFED in those right now.

Good batteries in the EOTECH.

Drinking BEER and giving thanks to my LORD!

#113 ·
All the conjecture and discussion aside,,,,,

THE ONE YOU HAVE IN YOUR HAND AT THE TIME YOU NEED IT MOST,,,WILL,,, be the "best" one,,,,what ever it happens to be!!!

And any will do the job if you know how to use it and you work with-in the limitations of what's in hand!!!!! Simple as that.

It's more tactics than "the perfect gun".

#118 ·
Agree with Perry.has a red fiberglass stock I've spray painted black.Chinese military surplus that the barrel is cut back to 16.5 inches with front sight base welded back on .balance is great accuracy good carries easy Chinese five round mag and cut down stripper clips makes it a natural for me to grab. Is what it is. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.