Gunco Forums banner

best choice shtf rifle?

36K views 141 replies 54 participants last post by  44044 
#1 ·
ok, i wanted to see what the common thought for this subject was. i know that the general consensus is towards the AR, but what are your opinions?

#2 ·
What kind of SHTF?

IMHO an accurate .22 rifle is the most versatile "put it on the plate" rifle.

Followed very closely by a (non-rifle) 12 gauge shotgun.

Though, the stand-by 13 grains Red-dot in your choice of a wide variety of rifle cartridges will do yeomans' duty for the .22

#4 ·
Best SHTF rifle implies you are limited to only one rifle. Assuming legal considerations are not an issue (you can own as many firearms as you want/afford pre-SHTF) then that also implies you are not based out of a fixed location or vehicle with enough cargo capacity to allow more than one rifle. Since ammo resupply will probably be an issue, the ammo you carry with you will likely have to last you the duration of the SHTF events.

Those conditions pretty much limit you to a .22 rimfire. You can carry a thousand rounds in a backpack without adding too much weight to your load. Specialty loads such as subsonics for use with a field expedient silencer (2 liter bottle and duct tape) or hypervelocity rounds like Stingers can be added in 50 packs for very little weight and space. Produced at a rate of 2+ Billion rounds per year it is the most likely caliber to be "found" if an ammo resupply presents itself.

As for the rifle, I would go with the Marlin 39. Very accurate and reliable, takedown so it can be concealed easily, adequate ammo capacity, and being a lever action it can be fired almost as quickly as a semi auto. A levergun is the "All American" action, it has no "Assault Weapon" stigma so if you encounter the authorities they might be less inclined to confiscate a "squirrel rifle" than say an AR15.

Range is limited, but if you are part of a family/group one or more persons could have a centerfire rifle for longer range shots. As the "designated marksman", the limited ammo supply would be less of a problem.

Of course, for short term use, one can always "acquire" the rifle and ammo supply of one's adversaries. If faced with an organized force with standardized armaments it makes sense to use their equipment as resupply is at least a possibility.

#5 ·
My weapon of choice would be my Semi UZI. Long barrel is accurate for short range combat. The stock retracts for closer combat work. Mags are slim and not very heavy.

9mm is heavy enough to make it into an enemy's body through light field dress. At least who you hit will need to be handled by their fellow personell for treatment.

I would pick up the UZI and the magazine belt filled with stuffed UZI mags, 122 grain, 9mm.

#8 ·
.308 bolt action, hands down. The round is powerful and accurate enough for hunting and self defense. It's common enough that you can get them, and a bolt action allows user feedback as to the suitability of the ammunition. If you need tons of firepower a 9mm uzi isn't going to get you there and neither is an AR, so for reasonable applications a handy bolt .308 is probably the best ticket. Might I suggest the Steyr Scout?

GsT

#9 ·
I would like to say AK because of its dependability but I think using what the military uses would be the way to go for ammo availability,rifle parts,etc. What Im getting at is there should be plenty of 5.56 and M-16s to be had. (I'm still in good w/ the local guard unit that I was in a looong time ago.

#13 ·
If SHTF your problem is where do you live, or plan on living? If in a urban setting a few 22 rifles (Take Downs) might be appropriate, stashed at more than one location. In the suburbs a good 40 cal. hand gun & 30-30 might do. On the road an AK or shotgun for close encounters, and 308 for distance. If in tinbuck too a 50 might be the ticket. Its your circumstances what will dictate what you need.
Xfrog

#14 ·
I'll reiterate the .308. It's a great 'sniper' round, but also good for closer quarters. It's readily available, and a NATO standard round. If you have fantasies about clearing buildings with your FA 9mm, I'm here to tell you a .308 would be a better choice (I'm discounting overpenetration here, since we're talking about SHTF scenarios.) In a close combat situation your best advantage is numbers, not pistol caliber smgs. If I could only have one rifle, it would be a .308 bolt gun. If I could have multiple I'd add some others, but pistol caliber carbines would be some of the last. I don't think anyone has the definitive truth, as circumstances vary, but I am a combat vet and my choices reflect my observations.

Gene T.

#16 ·
Darnit, I can't figure out the 'Obama' thing in yoru sig, can you resize?

No caliber is perfect for ever situation, but we're talking about the best compromise if you can only have one (unless i misunderstand the conversation). Ideally you'd have 5-6 or more firearms, one suited for every situation, but picking one involves making compromises...

GsT

#17 ·
DSA FN-FAL in .308, with a folding stock for transport, riding shotgun in car/trucks etc..., Every round will have to count!, Robust design, almost as reliable as the AK. Parts are in good supply. They were important to many African Nations that have had many SHTF conditions, that have lasted from days to years, if you see film clips from these nations, the FN-FAL and the AK remain!!!

#19 ·
This topic is the same as the chicken and the egg...

Are you going to be in survival mode? if so, 22lr or 22mag is great..

Are you in defensive/offensive mode? then you need more firepower.

ever kill a squirrel with a 30-06??

most people own a 12g, a 30-30, a 30-06 and a 22lr....

are we talking survival or "resistance"...

people laugh at a 22lr, but it sure would hurt to get shot with one...in the face...
the bullet will penetrate a skull, then it bounces around inside...

There is no do-it-all rifle...

#20 ·
This may sound funny, but I have a friend who kills squirrels with his .308 - and eats them! He handloads with a O Buck pellet over a few grains of (I think) Red Dot. It is accurate at 50 ft and makes about the same noise as a .22. Guess what I'm saying is people can get pretty creative when the chips are down. I guess if I had to go out the back door, I would probably have the M16 shorty with the .22 conversion unit and the Serbu Super Shorty in a holster. On the other hand, I may just take a .22 target pistol. Lots of people poach deer with .22's. Hopefully we never have to make that decision!

#21 ·
I think this question implies that one is flying solo but who among us would be solo?

I will be with family and very good friends so more than likely we will be having various dual purpose firearms.

A cpl 22lr game getters and trainers, .308 (7.62x51) long range and medium size game stoppers (2 and 4 legged!), 12G for cqb, CZ 75b and others for personal last resort defense and several mosin nagant m44's for hunting also to conserve on common caliber ammo.

Not to mention ar and ak's for patrol type and secuity duty!

You definitely can't forget a good 22lr handgun to train your flock with in handgun usage also.

All this assumes a true SHTF type total collapse of society which I don't think will happen in the immediate future...then again I did see the Katrina fiasco relatively upclose, live in hurricane alley and lived thru tropical storm Allison in 2001 so don't take my 2cents to HEART!...:headbang:

#23 ·
.22 mag. Then if they start getting too close pop em with this baby. I don't know how this would work on like deer or squirrel. But there should be some meat left around to make a sandwich.

Attachments

#45 ·
.22 mag. Then if they start getting too close pop em with this baby. I don't know how this would work on like deer or squirrel. But there should be some meat left around to make a sandwich.

:thumbup1: Venison ceviche anyone! :cheers:

Although most may disagree, I like what the modular platform of an AR allows. Dedicated mags and uppers and ammo for various medium range calibers and a person could have most what he needs as far as offensive/defensive firepower. In close, I'd be happy with a 410 and a 1911 double stack when you want to say howdy; or goodbye if you prefer! Having the career I have; while living in the region I do, I'm privy to a crap load of potential sources to acquire what is/might be necessary to survive. The one thing I haven't seen anyone suggest or recommend pertaining to food is traps and snares! Also, those who are fortunate enough to be dug in would likely want grain and water. Evasion is not that difficult, surviving is hell!

Sorry I got a bit off topic. This thread has me thinking a bit too much!

#24 ·
I like your bunker buster/tank killer 4th.But I would carry my Norinco 1911A1 and I am looking for a carbine in 45acp to keep it company.Cant afford the expenceive stuff.Im talkin Marlin camp carbine,MAC TECH CCU,maybe the new Hi-Point if it ever gets off R&D.Might even like a MAC-10 or a UZI in 45acp in carbine form.Got some kit AKs and a L1A1 for the long rainge stuff,and 12ga and 22s for the kids.:cheers:

#25 ·
a person can easily carry about 5,000 rounds of 22lr....

I think what's to be learned from this thread is have your shit squared away and be prepared for any situation, that means owning multiple rifles in multiple calibers. When the time comes, if you can only pick one to fit your situation, you will know which one to take...

#26 ·
survival or SHTF? for survival maybe on of those savage rifle over 20ga shotgun combo deals in 223 cal with some of those brass cartridge things that allow you to shoot 22lr and 22mag??

SHTF--i would say it would depend on the situation of how much ammo i had more than the weapon. i would pick either a scoped m-4/m5 or a AKMS depending on the situation maybe a pump action shotgun for up close and a couple pistols in 9mm,.40&. and 45acp.

i think it don't matter that much what kind of weapons you have as long as there is enough ammo. having a functional defensive system= priceless!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.