Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: best choice shtf rifle?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

308 ammo is not that available.

every old codger around here and half the gas stations stock 30-30, 22lr and 30-06

I'm sure out west where the land opens up the 30-30 isn't as available

Feedback Score

i think the caliber and firearm are really irrelivent if you are prepared to do what you must to survive, a single shot shotgun will 'get' you a better firearm, in a lawless land you only look out for yourself and those you love, i'd look for the nearest armed thug, whether government sponsored or not (aka JBT) and 'relieve' them of their AR/MP5 and what ever side arm them have

in the USA readily available ammo would basically be 223 and 9mm (law enforcement) so something in one of those calibers, preferably the 223 i believe as it can reach out alot further then a 9mm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You know how when it is barely raining and you can just lightly, barely feel it on your face? Well, there is tiny drops of fecal matter just starting to impact the fan blades right now.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    308 ammo is not that available.

every old codger around here and half the gas stations stock 30-30, 22lr and 30-06

I'm sure out west where the land opens up the 30-30 isn't as available
    No, .30-30 is readily available out here, too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

After thinking about this since this thread was started I have come to the conclusion that probably the best rifle for the situation described is a 10/22magnum. The ammo might be a bit harder and more expensive to come up with , but still available in most places. The .22Magnum round is light weight and still has plenty of punch. That leads to the obvious question , why don't I have such a rifle?: and the simple answer is that I believe that I have a number of rifles that do as good of a job , just more rifles. I like my mini14 and my FAL and one can not forget the number of aks , but all in all no rifle fits every bill, just in my opinion the ruger 10-22 magnum would be the best package.
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

If it was down to one gun only for food first and protection second (people in the midwest, south central, and south west would most likely need something with more range because of so much open land). I'd have to say a shotgun in any gauge, I think I'd stay with 12. Semi, pump or lever action preferred in that order just because they hold multiple rounds. Light loads for small game, 00 or slugs for bigger things and further range.

If it was just to protect yourself from the population (my situation), I'd have to lean more towards the AK or AR because of high capacity mags and ease of converting to select fire.
    There's just to many variables for different parts of the country because of terrain and population.

I'm getting confused, it's just to hard to come up with a "right answer", I keep telling the voices to go away but they won't listen.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'd vote for the .22 rimfire from strictly a survival tool. Ammo is everywhere and you can easily carry a thousand rounds on you.

Feedback Score

I leaning more twards the .22 and the 12ga more and more.
    If your in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    -someone importanat

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysmith View Post
    Any good .22LR in a rifle, SHTF is different than guerilla warfare.
    In guerilla warfare your enemy supplies the ordnance. After all is said and done he has the better supply line.
    I'll stick to my original statement.
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Now, there is my kind of thinking! Make it a point to let them bring you in the ammo. After you drop them, go and pick up the goodies. I think you will see a bunch of .308 and 9mm brought in as the enemy's main staple ammo.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.