Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: best choice shtf rifle?

firearms enthusiast kurts_armory's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default best choice shtf rifle?

ok, i wanted to see what the common thought for this subject was. i know that the general consensus is towards the AR, but what are your opinions?
    gun control means hitting your target

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

What kind of SHTF?

IMHO an accurate .22 rifle is the most versatile "put it on the plate" rifle.

Followed very closely by a (non-rifle) 12 gauge shotgun.

Though, the stand-by 13 grains Red-dot in your choice of a wide variety of rifle cartridges will do yeomans' duty for the .22

firearms enthusiast kurts_armory's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

im talkin the whole shebang SHTF. nukes, war, MAJOR civil unrest, and in any kind of environment and at any reasonable range/conditions.
    gun control means hitting your target

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Best SHTF rifle implies you are limited to only one rifle. Assuming legal considerations are not an issue (you can own as many firearms as you want/afford pre-SHTF) then that also implies you are not based out of a fixed location or vehicle with enough cargo capacity to allow more than one rifle. Since ammo resupply will probably be an issue, the ammo you carry with you will likely have to last you the duration of the SHTF events.

Those conditions pretty much limit you to a .22 rimfire. You can carry a thousand rounds in a backpack without adding too much weight to your load. Specialty loads such as subsonics for use with a field expedient silencer (2 liter bottle and duct tape) or hypervelocity rounds like Stingers can be added in 50 packs for very little weight and space. Produced at a rate of 2+ Billion rounds per year it is the most likely caliber to be "found" if an ammo resupply presents itself.

As for the rifle, I would go with the Marlin 39. Very accurate and reliable, takedown so it can be concealed easily, adequate ammo capacity, and being a lever action it can be fired almost as quickly as a semi auto. A levergun is the "All American" action, it has no "Assault Weapon" stigma so if you encounter the authorities they might be less inclined to confiscate a "squirrel rifle" than say an AR15.

Range is limited, but if you are part of a family/group one or more persons could have a centerfire rifle for longer range shots. As the "designated marksman", the limited ammo supply would be less of a problem.

Of course, for short term use, one can always "acquire" the rifle and ammo supply of one's adversaries. If faced with an organized force with standardized armaments it makes sense to use their equipment as resupply is at least a possibility.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

My weapon of choice would be my Semi UZI. Long barrel is accurate for short range combat. The stock retracts for closer combat work. Mags are slim and not very heavy.

9mm is heavy enough to make it into an enemy's body through light field dress. At least who you hit will need to be handled by their fellow personell for treatment.

I would pick up the UZI and the magazine belt filled with stuffed UZI mags, 122 grain, 9mm.

Feedback Score

Would have to go with the AK due to ruggedness

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Ruggedness is why I did not choose the AR15. UZI is rugged and tolerant of dirt and not being cleaned.

Ammo is easy to carry lots of.

Feedback Score

.308 bolt action, hands down. The round is powerful and accurate enough for hunting and self defense. It's common enough that you can get them, and a bolt action allows user feedback as to the suitability of the ammunition. If you need tons of firepower a 9mm uzi isn't going to get you there and neither is an AR, so for reasonable applications a handy bolt .308 is probably the best ticket. Might I suggest the Steyr Scout?

GsT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I would like to say AK because of its dependability but I think using what the military uses would be the way to go for ammo availability,rifle parts,etc. What Im getting at is there should be plenty of 5.56 and M-16s to be had. (I'm still in good w/ the local guard unit that I was in a looong time ago.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

GeneT,you have a good point,as the military also uses .308 in the M-60 and as their primary sniper round.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.