View Poll Results: What caliber would YOU select for a 2nd AR?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5.56/.223

8 18.60%
  • 7.62x39

4 9.30%
  • 6.8 SPC

4 9.30%
  • .243 WSSM

0 0%
  • 6.5 Grendel

10 23.26%
  • 9mm

7 16.28%
  • other

10 23.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2nd AR - what caliber would YOU want

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

No one mentioned the 6mm/.223.... I have one and it is very accurate and very easy to make from .223 brass. It was used with some success as a bench rest / sniper cartridge and the only thing you need to change is the barrel, dies, and bullets. Not a particularly fast round, but heavier bullet with great accuracy.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    No one mentioned the 6mm/.223.... I have one and it is very accurate and very easy to make from .223 brass. It was used with some success as a bench rest / sniper cartridge and the only thing you need to change is the barrel, dies, and bullets. Not a particularly fast round, but heavier bullet with great accuracy.
    I also have one, the brass is cheap and plentiful and I tend to make the 6x45 brass the nickel plated stuff so I don't accidently mix it back with my 223 brass. Both of the barrels I've had have been very accurate. I sold the first barrel a few years ago that would shoot one ragged hole at 100yds because I hadn't used it for a while. I recently picked up my buddies barrel real cheap and it mostly keeps the groups under 3/4" which isn't too shabby either.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Grendal is a great hard hitting round. But, is that what you will really need in the turn?

MUSIBIKE

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I do intend to have an AR with .223 ready for the situation.

But, an UZI and an AR with 9mm will support close combat.

I do not intend to get the .308 out until all of the crud is cleaned out with close combat effort.

These guys will be intent on taking resources from the homes as sustainance. Then, we must limit total penetration. If it comes to be, we must defend our homesteads!

But. small arms fire will be all that will be required. I hope!

Please be assured in what you will need to do. Do NOT over step your bounds with firearms! Don't ever do what you would be sorry for later when it is too late!

PLEASE, verify your targets!
    Never fire upon what you are not is sure is enemy force.
    NEVER fire upon disclosed friendly!

Calm down and verify that your fire support is positive!

If not, suppress fire until directed to administer fire support in a reasonable fashion.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

MUSIBIKE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wow. I don't think the OP mentioned an end-of-civilization caliber. For that, the fabulous Grendel would not be in my top ten.

Number one on my end-of-the-world to-do list? I would hook a large plasma TV to a dish and a generator and place it somewhere (else). Then let 'em fight over the remote. Seems thats all it would take these days....
    The Second Amendment - it's not about hunting.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Nobody believed we might have a MUSLIM president who does not salute the American flag.
    Watch what happens to what we consider civilization around this time next year if he gets elected.

They will not be looking for your TV. The wife and daughters will be first.........

Feedback Score

I'd suggest the 9mm but just so I can live vicariously through you. In my mind, the 9mm would make an excellent short-medium range carbine. The round can really take advantage of more barrel length than it's usually given.

I really want to build one as my first AR but it will be ages until I can pop that much dough. There's AK business to do first.

What I really, really want is one that takes Glock mags so it will match my daily carry sidearm but the only people who make them are Olympic and I haven't heard great things about them PLUS they don't sell parts, just complete rifles.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

That is why I like the 9mm AR. Mine uses the same mags as my UZI. Just a little notch cut in the mag to make it work in the AR. It still works in the UZI too.

A 9mm AR will run you $1000.00 to put together one from Rock River Arms. A bit more than a .223 version. A mag adapter, different hammer, heavier buffer and, different upper assembly. I like that 9mm does not require a gas tube. Simple blow back.

At 50 meters I can get a mag full into a 12 inch circle with only iron sights. In a close combat situation, that will do you a lot more good than a higher powered AR that pulls up and has a much larger give you away muzzel flash.

Good accuracy with enough power to do some hard hitting quickly.

MUSIBIKE

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

6.5 MPC just google it.
    Mr
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Grendal would be better used in a heavier weapon.

Too much power.

Fracturing an engine block on a half track.

Getting into the rotor of that RUSSIAN copter.

Serious sniper duty.

But, for quick and adjile close combat, it will be 9mm for us.

MUSIBIKE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.