• i think i'll have another beer--

7 35.00%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ammo- quality vs quantity?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking ammo- quality vs quantity?

here is the poll question--

your wanting to buy ammo and you find some high quality ammo for $0.36 a round .

your normal generic steel cases imported fodder if going for $0.30 a bulk shipped.

so give or take 400 rounds of the high end ammo cost about the same as 500 rounds of the generic fodder.

do you buy the 400 quality rounds or the 500 generic fodder?

stalin said quantity has a quality all its own. what do you think?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Depends on the ammo and the sitch. .308 for your long range "hunting" rifle, go with the good stuff. You're down to 1200 rds for your AK, go with the cheap stuff.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Depends how much good stuff you've got stashed away, I shoot the bulk for fun,,,, my reloads are for serious accuracy/hunting,,,"the good stuff",,, and I hunt with every gun I own,, except for the safe queens of course, there for the occasional range trip.

But honestly,, most of us are shooting maybe 100m most of the time, just fucking around bouncing tin cans around, so why spend the extra for Lake City instead of Wolf??? Just me??

Ya,, you go out hunting or doing some serious target shooting,,,,DHAAAAAA!!!!! Break out the "good stuff",,, gittin rid of desparado tin cans,,, Wolf works fine for me. Plus it shoots dirtier so I have more of an excuse to take my guns apart and play with them more and perfect any little thing I think it needs,,,,, HELL Isn't that part of the fun of all this gun stuff,, after all?????

Just noticed 50% for the extra dime,,, 50% for the beer!!!! Hell buy the cheap for blasting and spend the extra dime on BEER!!!!! WIN,,,,WIN!!!!! Ya Baby!!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Depends how much good stuff you've got stashed away, I shoot the bulk for fun,,,, my reloads are for serious accuracy/hunting,,,"the good stuff",,, and I hunt with every gun I own,, except for the safe queens of course, there for the occasional range trip.

But honestly,, most of us are shooting maybe 100m most of the time, just fucking around bouncing tin cans around, so why spend the extra for Lake City instead of Wolf??? Just me??

Ya,, you go out hunting or doing some serious target shooting,,,,DHAAAAAA!!!!! Break out the "good stuff",,, gittin rid of desparado tin cans,,, Wolf works fine for me. Plus it shoots dirtier so I have more of an excuse to take my guns apart and play with them more and perfect any little thing I think it needs,,,,, HELL Isn't that part of the fun of all this gun stuff,, after all?????

Just noticed 50% for the extra dime,,, 50% for the beer!!!! Hell buy the cheap for blasting and spend the extra dime on BEER!!!!! WIN,,,,WIN!!!!! Ya Baby!!!!

hell beer has went up too--LOL

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Garand = good stuff
    1919 = whatever + more beer
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

My views are changing. I bought 1000 rounds of Wolf 55 grn 5.56
    The first 500 shot good and accurate enough. The second case is tumbling and keyholing at 25 yards.
    Looking at about 60% of them tumbling. So i am not planning to buy any more.
    Oh and it is not the rifle 55 grn Federal and 62 grn green tip shot accurately through the same rifle.
    So I guess I will be buying the more expensive ammo now
    Also will start saving for 223/556 reloading set up. Does anyone know if the Dillon square deal can load 223/556?

jrs
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zgunbear View Post
    Also will start saving for 223/556 reloading set up. Does anyone know if the Dillon square deal can load 223/556?
    The Square Deal B is only capable of loading the common straight walled pistol cartridges, uses a proprietary drop-in insert style die, and is a great compact reloader.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jrs View Post
    The Square Deal B is only capable of loading the common straight walled pistol cartridges, uses a proprietary drop-in insert style die, and is a great compact reloader.
    Yeah i have one iuse for 45 acp bought it back in the 90's.
    No telling how much I have loaded on it many thousands of rounds
    I didn't know if there was a kit to convert it to 556.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Strange zgunbear,, I've been shooting the Wolf classic 62 gr sp for a long time and never had any keyhole issues,,, weird!! I Never did like 55 gr anything much, but occasionally use it, mostly LC. Iv'e got a Bushmaster XM 1in 9 twist and a Zastava bolt 223 twist??? and it shoots good outa both, not as good as my reloads but no keyholes and acceptible accuraccy for cheap ammo, well relitivly speaking,,,, cheap. Holding 1-1 1/2 groups @ 100 m with the occasional flyer, but only slight flyers at that.

Which flavor of Wolf you useing so I can avoid it?? Black box, white box , Performance ???? I know brown bear had some issues, but never heard of issues with wolf before.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i have had very good results with wolf 75 and pretty good results with wolf 62 and 55gr fodder in .223 some of the wolf 75gr coming in at nearly sub-moa with some batches.

i think golden bear is probably the best of the russian ammo followed by silver and brown bear ammo. there is still some of the golden bear 223 around it is just pricy. accuracy about as good as the best batches of wolf 75gr i have shot. all the golden bear i have is 62gr. the shit functions perfectly in the ar, fairly cleen and accurate.

damn tula--i had some 55gr that couldn't hit a barn door at 50m and i have had some of their 75gr that did well enough though not as good as the wolf. got one batch of 55gr that was really messed up--had the wrong powder in the wrong amount too boot.

everybody keeps telling me all russian ammo is the same. i don't think it is cause the tula don't have the same case markings and it has smaller primers in 223 than the bear and wolf.

if they wern't charging $160+ for a 500rd brick of the golden bear i would be buying some but lately i have been getting hornady steel match for about the same price--LOL now if it was $130--LOL!

i like the golden bear but since it is getting up there in price with the brass stuff i'm like thinking why bother.
    in 5.56

the golden bear is the set up for a 7.62x39 ar-15 though i haven't had any problems with the wolf or brown bear stuff in mine. either can produce impressive accuracy in my wilson barreled 7.62x39 ar-15s--

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.