1st post greetings and my scratch built 1911 twinkies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st post greetings and my scratch built 1911 twinkies

Feedback Score

Post1911 1st post greetings and my scratch built 1911 twinkies

Hi All,
    I've been visiting Gunco for quite awhile but this is my first post and I wanted to say hey from East Texas and post my project pics. I just finished a pair of Colt 1911 clones for myself and my father-in-law, I built the frames from aluminum, the slides from stainless steel, sights, MSH, and a few other parts completely on a Grizzly mini-mill that I converted to cnc. I bought the barrel and some of the other important parts that were easier or cheaper to buy than to make. I made the grips on a cnc router I built a couple years ago, but plan on making some fancier one's later. I will also do some fancy engraving on the slides when I decide what I want on there.

I found a solid model of the frame at http://www.cncgunsmithing.com and want to make a public "Thank You" to Justin over there, we've kept in touch throughout this build... a really great guy!

We fired them for the first time this past weekend and were pleasantly surprised. We put about 50 rounds each through them and had a couple minor FTF's and his locked up when ejecting a couple times, but a little more file work should cure that problem. The accuracy was better than expected also (after my adrenaline lowered from that first shot).

On with the pics!

Tim

Final1 1911 - 001.jpg

Final1 1911 - 002.jpg

Final1 1911 - 003.jpg

Final1 1911 - 004.jpg

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Nice look pair, some of the better looking I have seen. Hope to hear more from you guy's.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Sweet 1911s welcome
    Gunco Member 2241
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score

Nice work man indeed . ON the FTF before you file do some ramp polishing . I also assume that you where shooting ball ? Hell man with craftmanship like that IAM sure you know all of that anyway ..........Again NICE WORK.............
    762X39 Side Folder

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

super sweet. I am getting ready for my first build albiet from off the shelf parts. Would you be interested in building some parts for others (not the frame unless you are set up as manufacure)?
    Consider this, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

Ocala and Marion County Car Audio

Cimarron

Great lookin pistolas. I would like to do a few myself when tax returns get here. I'll have to pick your brains for some tips.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by WFO2
    Nice work man indeed . ON the FTF before you file do some ramp polishing . I also assume that you where shooting ball ? Hell man with craftmanship like that IAM sure you know all of that anyway ..........Again NICE WORK.............
    Yes, shooting WW ball, I don't need hollow points so I thought I'd save some wear and tear on the aluminum feed ramp, also don't want to polish the ramp for that reason... it's pretty smooth anyway. I think the FTF probs will go away with break-in, I'll file the inside of the slide to prevent the slide-barrel lock-up on that one gun, the locking lugs on the barrel froze up with the inside of the slide (next to the slide lugs) when it tried to eject, that only happened a couple times, but I had to take the gun apart to unlock it.

ptannjr: Not really ready to make parts for others, that mini-mill is great, but cnc or not, those slides were a serious PITA.

Cimarron: Pick away! Always glad to help if I can.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Veeeeeeeeeery nice! Good work. Welcome.
    Retired US Navy
    NRA Life Member -- NAHC Life Member
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798
    Pretty much spells it out, huh?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

welcome, nice work!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.