Gunco Forums banner

Finished HK51 Clone

6K views 51 replies 15 participants last post by  Patrick/GSA 
#1 · (Edited)
Built using an ORF surplus parts kit on a Stamped Century CETME Receiver, papered as a pistol. Cost $550 including the retractable stock ($140 Centerfire - for when the LEGAL registered sear pack is installed) Made a pistol butt-plate using 1/4" steel on back of the cap for use as a legal pistol when the sear pack is out. Barrel turned to 8.75"

Here's a pic of my home-made clone with the REAL Vollmer

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, the pins on the lower are fake; it's clipped and law-abiding

The HOOPS we have to jump through -

Flash

Flame is as long as she is tall......

It's a "warped still shot" taken from a froze video

Was my first HK type build and easier than I would have thought, though I had some helpful coaching. Paddle Mag release was the trickiest part (6+ hrs using a dremmel), converting the surplus G4 pack to semi was a breeze. Works 100% with original locking piece firing Wolf Ammo
http://media.putfile.com/HK51-Clone-with-Fleming-Sear

Shooting cheap Indian Surplus (yes I know) requires the #18 locking piece for the reduced pressure, and also runs 100%. So if I stick with Wolf, I can use the locking piece in the up-coming 51K build. At least that's the plan....

Steve in El Paso

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for the positive comments Gentlemen. You can tell I'm pretty excited about it.

Tony, as far as I know, 51's must be cut down from a G3 kit. And I've been looking for another stamped receiver, but no one has them in stock right now, that I know of. That CETME receiver only cost me $99 (Military Gun Supply) but they're out. JLD makes a nicer one, and they'll supposedly be available from POF again in about a month.

If anyone has more info on a receiver source, I sure would appreciate an update - I'd prefer another cheap stamped CETME.

Not to insult your intellegence, but you know to register the receiver as a pistol; if you put a stock on it w/o registering it as a SBR you could get yourself in trouble. I think you folks already know all that. Using a registered sear legally circumvents it. Now you know why I want another CHEAP receiver - spent all my $$$ on the sear pack!

Steve

#7 ·
Did you cut the barrel and tube down or was it like that when you got it? If it's just a matter of cutting and moving the sight block and tube cover, and having the barrel turned this could be just what I'm looking for. I had an hk-91 but sold it when I got married. This would be more fun. I know a guy who would help me on this too. Yeah, I'm familiar with the SBR route, but don't have enough $ for a registered sear pack:angry: . I'll have to pick your brain on this some more if you don't mind.:thumbup1: By the way, is inter ord.,the only people who have parts kits now?

#8 ·
Tony -

I cut/turned the barrel down, disected the old cocking tube from the cut receiver section, then shortened it. Welded the trunnion and shortened-cocking-tube into the new receiver.

My triple-tower is butted SOLID against the cocking-piece-stop WELD (Important! THIS is what determined exact triple-tower placement) It's not like the "real" tubes, which FLOAT in the triple-tower, but it works, and is solid at both ends. I will try to post a close-up pic of it when I get home. On layover right now.

Here's the basics on a build http://www.smcomp.com/~smurph/G3-build.html

IO is listing G3 parts kits for sale in their flyers, for around $250.

Mags are cheap right now - 50 for $50 from TAPCO that's part of the reason I launched into all this 91/51 stuff. Fella can go broke just stocking up on mags, depending on firearm & caliber.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Steve

#11 ·
nice work!!!!!!!!! :D

#13 · (Edited)
Well after the "K" got done, I broke it out, and this thing looks ugly with that cocking handle sticking out front of the triple-tower. I have a new in-the-white tube, and she's gonna get a make-over. The way it SHOULD be done. Well, ya gotta start somewhere.

Vulcan are you still contemplating or what??? Maybe you didn't like that cocking handle protrusion to begin with......

"K" is on the way to my friend in OH to get a new black-oxide tux :) then a virgin-break-in at KCR next weekend. Hope someone there has a sear 'cause I didn't submit interstate-travel paperwork for mine.

Steve

#15 · (Edited)
Cocking tube is "Correct" now

Howdy

I re-did the cocking tube so the cocking handle is where it SHOULD be, instead of hanging out the front end. The re-build was a bit more complex, involving shortening the BC & RSG, and lengthening the cocking piece. Cyclic rate is higher due to the lighter bolt carrier. Am taking another .75" off the barrel; that will make it 8"

Just received a few 30 round mags - if the muzzle looks like it was freshly annealed, well I guess it was. Moral of the story: if you buy 30's, don't run them all at once. Started to melt the handguard (now I know why the 'deluxe' builds have hangers for the pin) Guess it was an appetizer for KCR.

You've seen me in the video - if you're at Knob Creek, introduce yourself. I'll be wearing a TAPCO cap. It would be good to meet other builders from here

Steve in TX

#18 ·
Steve,
When using a Cetme, the cocking piece and the carrier are slightly different. ANy ideas?

#21 · (Edited)
[Video was deleted from putfile.] working now for some reason. Could you repost to youtube? or e-mail it to me and I can post it for you.

#22 ·
I reloaded the video.
http://media.putfile.com/HK51-Clone-with-Fleming-Sear

Sometimes videos are pulled, due to "Violent and disturbing content"
Shooting plastic milk jugs in the desert is considered a 'violent' pastime to some people. I would like to take whoever who flags these videos, out shooting, with the emphasis on saftey and having an enjoyable memorable time

People fear what they don't understand, whether it be shooting, flying, boating etc

Steve

#23 ·
Steve,
Here is pics of my start on the pistol. #1 and #3 are the items I thought could be replaced with HK parts. You can see the insert on #2 also. The larger diameter section of the #2 part is what I was asking about. #4 is the barrel section a friend gave me for the build. It appears to be SS, but not sure. Does anyone make a 51 cocking tube?

#24 ·
I believe that would work - be sure to check your recoil spring guide & 'inside sleeve', to make sure it will mate with eveything

You can stack sections of that sleeve to get the length right - remember to cut a little notch in the very front of the sleeve so you can punch it out later / a lip to get the punch on (like a rook chess piece). Wire-wheel it clean and it'll come out easier. Spring tension will hold it in just fine

Regarding a '51 cocking tube, I believe the best (easiest) way is just cut a regular one down, then insert the 'plug' in the front, and re-weld. Grind a bevel on that weld, and fit it TIGHT against the triple-tower; pin it
http://www.robertrtg.com/g3earlystylecockingtube.html $21

There are two schools of thought to all this, one being 'correct' which is exactly like HK WOULD have built (like a Vollmer) or a get-it-done-to-shoot version which is just as strong and a heck of alot easier. On the 'correct' version, the factory cocking slot ends where it should, and the front of the tube is free-floating, with a hangar for the HG pin. On mine, the PLUG IS the front end of the cocking slot; hangar can be added so you don't melt your grip
Hope that all made sense

Steve

#25 ·
How did you do the back end where the turned up slot used to be? Being that the new slot is farthur back. What did you use for a handguard hanger up front?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.