AR 15 Lower Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR 15 Lower Questions

Feedback Score

Default AR 15 Lower Questions

I just purchased a SARCO M16 kit complete except for the lower. It is one of the early Viet Nam era Colt uppers without the forward assist, 3 prong flashider, etc. Old style buttstock without the trap door. Really nice condition.

Anyway, what do I need to know when I order my lower? Anything special? How about pin hole size? Also, what are your recommendations on a manufacturer?

Comments appreciated!

Scott

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Probably just a stripped lower and a LPK. You'll also most likely need a bushing to fit the large hole upper on the new small hole lower. You can get it assembled or separate. You dont want to/ can't use the full auto parts in the semi gun. Keep in mind the new lower will not match in coler to the old colt parts. Also some of the real early colt stuff did not have all the chrome lining that current issue stuff does.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

what was the condition of the barrel?
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

those uppers will mate to any standard lower......those are the not like the commercial colt SP-1 uppers that have the properitary large front pivot hole. the only thing is that you will have a 2 tone AR....grey upper and black lower. NORRELL sells a product that you can refinish the lower to match what the upper color is. it's a excellent product, just did my lower to match the M16A1 upper I bought last year

http://www.molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp

I would also advice you strongly to get rid of the full auto fire control group that came with the kit.......but don't throw it away, sell it.
    "I can make this march, and make georgia howl!"

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I just got a DPMS lower and put RRA internals in it. It sounds like your kit has the internals, so most any lower should work. Popular ones are Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Stag in declining order.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gunbug
    It sounds like your kit has the internals, so most any lower should work.
    If his parts kit came with an M16 FCG, it is best to replace them with semi only parts.
    While it is possible to grind the hook off the hammer, the tail off the disconnector and the the ridge out of the selector, the tail of the trigger would need to be welded in. ATF is a lot pickier about 16 parts in an AR than they are about what you can have with an AK.
    TheOtherChris

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who,
    in a time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."
    -Dante's Inferno-

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

[quote=

I would also advice you strongly to get rid of the full auto fire control group that came with the kit.......but don't throw it away, sell it.[/quote]

i just ordered one of these kits too. thanks for the heads up. i am new to ARs.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

If either of you guys want to sell the FA parts let me know. I friend of mine has an M16 and might be interested in buying them but I'll have to ask him first to find out.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I agree pin size shouldnt be an issue, it should be mil spec if its actually a M16, the color although will present you a problem as said previously. The Norrells is the way to go, I use the balck on everything but he does offer a match.
    Unless you can find an older colt lower, that would be the way to go. They sometimes surface, I have had both the mil spec lower pivot and large pin in the old grey.

Feedback Score

Default Lower

I would get a DPMS forged lower, they run 120.00 or less. They are as good as a Bushmaster. There are only around four companies that actually make lowers everyone else just puts their name on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.