Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Galil build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Galil build

Im finally off the fence. I am going to build a Galil. First off everyone should know that Im am not a person that knows all about building firearms and I have not built a Galil before. I have built several AKs of various models and calibers including a milled receiver model and Im hoping that the experiance gained on those projects will help. Feel free to make comments as I go here. Im confedent that I will complete this and learn alot in the process.

I will start by showing the parts kit. I spent around $700 for all of this as a package and received a spare buttstock, spare bolt, spare carry handle, new night sites, spare flash hider, new handguard, USA made gas piston, USA pistol grip and a new barrel with the deal. I think I did ok considering todays market on these parts. I plan on selling off the spares after completing the build to make the overall build cheaper.

The first thing I needed to do was remove the gas block from the old barrel. I have pressed components off of ak barrels before but from everything I've read, the Galil gas blocks can be very tough to remove. Many gunsmith are willing to do the work but its my understanding that quite a few gas blocks are broke in the process. I chose to use 1 inch alum. plate as a jig backed up by steel press plates. I split the alum then drilled a 11/16 hole through the center of the cut.

I then drilled a larger hole for the gas tube end of the block to sit in.

Keep in mind that the gas tube end of the block only passes throught this hole and no pressure is placed on it during the press. Heres what the parts looked like prior to pressing the block off.

You may notice that I have the ram directly on the muzzle. The old barrel is in poor condition for the last inch or two of the bore so Im not too concerned about damage to the crown. I do think that this barrel could be cut down and recrowned into something usable. So I took hold of the press handle and began to put pressure on the thing. Now, I've heard some popping and snapping from something being pressed before and I'll say this gas block was on tight. I don't doubt for one minute that these do break during this process. In the end I won.

Notice the gas hole. It has two different hole sizes. One of them is quite large butt very shallow. The through hole is centered in the first but smaller.

Heres a photo of the 1" alum. plate after the press. Check out the indentation the gas block left on it. I was'nt looking at the pressure gauge when the gas block began to move, but from looking at the plates, I think it was alot of pressure.

Next up will be the receiver. I am using an ORF. I know, Im well aware of the Gunplummer review and I will be comparing the issues raised in the review to my receiver to see if things have been corrected as ORF has stated they have. My choice to use the ORF was based on pure economics. Parts kit + $350 ORF receiver = Galil for $1050ish. Parts kit + $800 IMI receiver = Galil for $1500ish. Thats if you can find an IMI and one for $800, which would be on the low side these days. Why pay $1500-$1700 for parts and build it when you are approaching the $2000 range for buying an original. Just my opinion. I have the receiver at this time and I will be posting my observations about it early next week. I look forward to your comments between now and then.
    Last edited by mg555; 08-05-2006 at 04:55 PM.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Here's Galil I built a couple of years ago. 1-7 twist barrel. Can never decide if I like the wood or plastic HG better. The black does look more evil. Never got back to this project to put final coat finish on it. You'll enjoy it.

Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I do that?

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Illya,
    That is a fine looking rifle as is. I had a chance to buy a preban one from the importer in the early 80's for about $750.00 and at the time I thought it was an insane price. Now, I see that I was not sane for passing the deal by......

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

That's a badass rifle Illya!!!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

please let me know when and what spares you have for sale when you are done, always interested in hoarding galil parts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default ORF receiver

Here is the left and right side veiw of the ORF Galil receiver. I need to say that I don't know much about ORF as this is only the second time I've done business with them. I don't know that my receiver is just like the rest or not.

The exterior is very well done.

This one shows the selector to top cover match up. Again, very nice.

Here are both sides of the stock retaining pin hole. Are they perfect? No, but they are very close and acceptable IMHO.

The match up of the selector stop and the safety while in the fire position. There is a small gap between them. My safety stop is an IMI, but it was very bent up and abused. I have yet to get it fully straightened out. It is also just leaning against the receiver for the photo. I believe that I will be able to get rid of the gap for a perfect fit with a little more ajustment to the stop. We'll see, but Im not to concerned about it.

Here's the left side of the receiver showing the right side safety hole and the safe and fire markings. The receiver is set up for the semi auto safety on the left side. This makes since as this is a semi auto receiver. The bad part is that I dont have the semi auto parts. I can use the full auto selector without having NFA issues but I would need to drill and ream the selector hole and the safe and fire markings would be reversed in that case. The good news is that I can opperate the weapon without either left side set up until I decide which route to go on this. If anyone has a Galil schematic showing the names of the left side semi auto selector parts let me know. I would like to look around a bit to see if the semi auto parts can be obtained.

A few photos of the interior. I feel that the machining is well done. The bolt will not go fully forward unless you push it hard. Releiving the tightness will be simple and should'nt take to long.

Gas tube cut out on this receiver is right on the money.

The recoil spring cut out and bolt carrier rail are nicely cut and the carrier installs and moves forward and backward smoothly.

The ejector looks nice. I won't know if it is hard enough until I shoot the heck out of the finished weapon as I intend to do in order to find out.

Feed ramp/bullet guide properly installed? I cant answer this question for obvious reasons. I have contacted ORF to inquire about a bullet guide and rivet but have not received a reply yet. I expected one to come with the receiver, but no one ever said it would. The riveting wont be hard as long as I can get the part. I will get back to this one when it is resolved.

Last but not least is barrel timing. My old used barrel times at about the five o'clock position. I expected that and was not surprised. I think that expecting any and all barrels to time out perfect is not being resonable,(IMHO), as I am not sure if IMI Galils were built using a quantified system or not. I know that I had the same issue with a milled receiver AK build and expected to adjust the headspace on this build as I did on that one. I will know and comment further on the timing and head spacing as I progress. I need that bullet guide first. So far Im pleased with the receiver as long as I can get a bullet guide.

If anyone would like me to photograph any other areas of the receiver or has any questions concerning it let me know. I would be glad to. Opinions or thoughts welcome.
    Last edited by mg555; 08-08-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

that looks really nice, my orf is due in tommorow.

I assembled an IMI set on an IMI rec a few years ago and the bbl indexed just beyond 10 and snugged up perfectly, based on that I think the IMI rec might be timed so the threads start at the same point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Galil build

I did a bit of rivet work last night and some fitting of a few parts. Standard rivets from ak-builder fit perfect. I also used his trigger rivet jig which is a great tool and work just as well on the Galil components as it has on AKs. Here's are the tools prior to doing the work. My jig has had a hard life and done alot of work so excuse its rough condition.

Here is everything set up in the press and ready to apply pressure. My jig is begining to wear out so I use a bit of duct tape to insure that the rivets arnt to deep in the jig divets. I sould replace the jig and plan on doing so soon.

The rivets turned out nice.

I fitted the pistol grip next. It really wasnt a big deal but I had to lightly file the pistol grip mount opening in the receiver and the USA made grip needed a divet drilled in it to allow space for the rear trigger guard rivet. The dimentions of the left side safety look really good as they line up cleanly with the side of the grip.

Here is the receiver with the new parts added.

There is still a very small gap between the selector and the stop but Im happy with the fit. I could still tweak the dimple itself to get it perfect. I wont do that until I give it a good think as sometimes I make things worse by triing to change things that should have been left alone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It would make since for IMI to produce weapons like that panaceabeachbum. It would be nice if all the barrels timed perfect, but if one doesnt its not the end of all things. Barrel timing issues can be worked out. It will just take a bit more sweat of the mind. Let me know if your ORF receiver comes with a bullet guide.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ORF called and I was told that they are sending a bullet guide and rivet to me. They arn't charging me for the parts so I guess the receivers are supposed to come with them. I ment to ask them about that but I was busy when they called.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak left side safety
build galil
building a galil
can i build a galil

galil build

galil gas block
galil gas block front sight

galil parts

galil parts kit build

galil rifle build
gas block removal on galil
imi galil front sight base
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.