Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG AMT prototype receiver

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Basically my attempts to get the parts laser cut and bent failed. the sig and pe57 receivers are extremly complex and precision parts. there is only .010" clearance for the bolt and the prototypes were to inconsistant to be useable. I won't sell parts that don't work.
    I have sent a kit and parts to Sherman, the guy doing the vickers, who is a master machinist / gunsmith to make a bending / forming die. he is working on it and hopefully we will have the tooling to make parts thet will work properly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the info Stan. Ill be waiting when you are ready. Just a thought...would it make sense to mill the entire receiver from bar stock then cut it right down the center-line?
    Visit http://www.WeaponsWorld.comfor the current ammunition sale prices!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

to all

I visited philadelphia ordinance the other day to pick up a item, while there I saw the place littered with 80% recievers, thimpson stocks barrel and jackets. he had a proto-type for the bren what craftsmanship
    He has a sig kit and thought of worjking up a 80% but there doesn't seem to be enough demand. I told him that it not true there a lots of kits

One day I will describe the philadelphia ordinance trip, like the old days at SARCO when smithy and glen ran the place with east germans weapons as far as the eye could see. soon to be gone

sprat

we would have to get weaponeer to order a sh*tload, there is still hope

sprat

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the phil ord receivers are for dummy guns. they are really not suitable to be made into a functioning receiver. the SIG AMT receiver is made mostly from sheet metal and is thin. it can't be machined from a block.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

pirate

you are not raining on my parade in fact I thought you would see it the other way I almost started another thread. I am not stealing your thread;
    having spent a good part of the day at philly ord and the owner say's it possible, I know he makes 80% receivers any body who gets SGN know this . years ago he used to make 100%, he say's its a matter of the number of custumers to make it worth while, and that would included making the trunnions which the DSA kits don't have. anything is possible

I and everyone else who has a Sig Amt/pe 57 kit knows the receiver is sheet metal,

gee DSA used to sell flats to weld kits, in fact where is your proto-type( just asking) I liked the pictures you posted before

"I don't want to rain on your parade, but the phil ord receivers are for dummy guns. they are really not suitable to be made into a functioning receiver"

philadelphia ord receivers are used by class 2's around the country and semi builders I don't understand your thoughts here.

sprat

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

The mg 343 & 42 receivers I have seen require so much complex machine work it is cheaper and more practicle to buy a receiver.
    As for my prototypes they were not up to the standard that they need to be. the sig receiver is an extremely complex, close tolerance peice of sheet metal. I am working with a friend to make a die to bend them from laser cut flats to the close tolerences that they need to be.

Feedback Score

Postak PE/AMT receivers

I would take 2 as soon as they were ready.
    Home of the SHTF 50 , KEG12 and SHF/R50

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tok

Please get on to weaponeer so we can set up a group buy or production once I speak to the philly ord folks again to see what could be done and there is no reason Pirates Idea's and help would be very welcome. in addition I would prefer if pirate came out with his working proto-type

I am no stranger to this build as you see we have been discussing this box receiver build for a while. I agree with previous posters the new receiver will have to be welded and made to be welded to the stubs in the trunnion. I haven't built a proto-type but I do understand the problem with the hump that serves as the ejector of sorts

more to come

sprat

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Smile

Everyone, I certainly appreciate your efforts on the AMT. As someone who is sitting on a kit I assure you my desire to build it is as strong as any. But the fact is that very few AMT/57 kits ever came into the country in comparison to others. This means the demand for receivers is low in relation to demands for AK parts or FAL parts when they were around. Stan is a hobbyist first and therefore thinks along the lines of making it happen instead of how much money he could make. Thats clear from his MG42 work. Point is I feel we have a much better chance of getting these built with Stan, who by the way already has a lot of time into them, than with someone who's interest would be based more on dollars.

Setting up a group buy for a non existent part seems a little premature to me. I feel a much proactive measure would be to set up a SIG AMT receiver build discussion thread where we can brainstorm ideas about how to solve the problems we are facing. The reason we have AK receivers, flats, jigs, tools and parts today is because a.) there were enough parts kits imported to attract thousands of builders and b.) there was money to be made. We don't have that kind of volume with the AMT so are going to have to rely on pure desire to make it happen. Stan has that desire but Im not sure anyone else does.

The last thing I want to see is the only guy who so far has prototyped a receiver get discouraged because of lack of support.
    Visit http://www.WeaponsWorld.comfor the current ammunition sale prices!

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

As Vulcan said, I am a hobbyist and depend on getting stuff made which takes time. at first the amt receiver seemed like it would be fairly straight forward. however it is not. it is the most diabolicly complex and precise peice of sheet metal I have ever seen. At this point I have spent over $700.00 on prototype parts. I have built 2 receivers and was not satisfied with them., therefore I scrapped them. My feelings on this are that If I can't make it good enough to meet my standards I won't sell it.

At this time a die is being made to form the sheetmetal, it will be a complex die to do multiple bends to close tolerances. since there is about .010 to 015" clearance in the receiver for the bolt you can get some idea of the difficulty of the process. Anyone who wants to try to make these is welcome to give it a shot, I do not have a lock on this. Also as Vulcan has said It is permature to get people to spend thier $$$ on a product that doesn't yet exist. there have been a number of instances where people have sent thier hard earned $$$ on a promise of a product to come and it never materalized.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

amt ak trunnion
pe-57 reweld

pe57 semi auto receiver repair section

sig amt receiver

sig amt receiver for sale
sig amt receiver project
swiss stg57 in kosovo
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.