Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Galil Build ?'s

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Galil Build ?'s

I have 2 Galil kits with new barrels that I bought from MGS, 2 of the newest receivers from ORF, and 2 gas pistons made by hotbarrel (thanks), and I am starting the process of building these 2 kits. I read the Galil build tutorial that mg555 wrote, and it has helped me out a lot. However, I still have some questions I need to clear up.

One of the new barrels tightens at 11:00 and the other at 12:00 (both of these hand-tight only) regardless of which receiver I screw them into. Therefore, I think that I need some shims, but I have no idea on where to find them or how thick I would need. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I have read about guys buying SA left side selectors and parts from Sarco or Numrich to work with the ORF receivers, and then I read that the new receivers will work with FA parts. Does anyone know the final word on this? If I do need some SA parts which ones do I need?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Curt

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

OK.

I'm not trying to bust on you, but FOR THE RECORD - the proper way to build a Galil is with a *new and uncut* barrel. That eliminates all of these timing shenanigans that one encounters.

OK. Now that I have that off my chest, let's see about this.

Hand-tight isn't a good way to gauge it. You need to torque it to 150 ft-lbs for the spec'ed assembly. Once you have it there, see where the timing is. Chances are you'll be at the 6 o'clock position, or pretty close.

There are two choices you can make - unscrew it back out to the 12 o'clock position and shim it, or screw it in tighter and shave the shoulder and chamber to reach 12 o'clock.

Only if you back it out, you'll shim it. Shims are going to be home built from washers or something equivalent, unless someone is making shims. However I'm not aware of anything out there. You have a problem, however, if you shim it too far, because excessive shim size is going to cause your barrel to be too far forward in relation to the receiver. Headspace will then be too "deep" since hte bolt lock up will be "loose" and make the chamber longer front-to-back. The solution is to swap bolts for a tighter fitting bolt (with longer lugs), or you'll have a gun that won't headspace.

If you screw it in tighter, you'll be shaving the shoulder to be thinner to let the bolt go in deeper, and then you'll have too short of a chamber.

Most people find that their bolt won't lock up if the short chamber problem affects them only slightly, because the barrel is blocking the bolt's path into battery. The solution? Polish the bolt lugs with a dremel of small file just enough to help it into battery. Ideally, you'll be done at that point!!!

Now, if it is really off, you can trim the chamber end of the barrel, then ream the chamber with a chamber reamer to make the chamber again into the correct size... depending on how much you need to go. Ugly? Yep. I forget now... is a Galil barrel chrome-lined? If so, you'll chew up the chrome lining when you ream it. Which can make it more prone to corrosion and I think the hard chrome lining is "slicker" than steel, so it helps cartridge extraction. I think.

See what I mean about a new barrel? A new barrel really is the easiest unless you don't mind the extra work.

The real question is how is it timed at 150 foot-lbs of torque. It will hopefully only be a little ways off and bolt filing will be the only task you'll need to do.

I hope this helps - I think it is a little vague but hopefully it will push you in the right direction.

Oh if you torque it in the vise, put some sheet metal or something like aluminum plates or even wood in-between the receiver and the vise so you don't mark up the receiver!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by caschu0
    I have read about guys buying SA left side selectors and parts from Sarco or Numrich to work with the ORF receivers, and then I read that the new receivers will work with FA parts. Does anyone know the final word on this? If I do need some SA parts which ones do I need?
    If the left hand selector that came with your kit will fit in your ORF receivers you don't need any other parts. The newer recievers (serial numbers over 600 I think) are made to work with the current kits.

This post should help:

7th picture down
    Guns don't kill people?proper application of sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control kills people.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for all the advice. I will tighten the barrel to see how much more it turns, but I don't think that it will turn all the way down to the 6 o'clock position. Also, I will only be guessing on the torque because I don't have a fixture made yet that I can use a torque wrench on. The new "cut" barrels that came with the galil kits are not chrome-lined, and I agree with you that the "cut" barrels are a pain in the ass to clock correctly.

I'm starting to wonder if I should find a shop that can install the barrel, headspace, drill the gas port, and install the front sight/gas tube for me......... Any ideas or recommendations on who I could have do all of this?

Thanks for the info on the selector. The FA selector that came in my kit does fit in the hole on the left side of the receiver.

Curt
    Last edited by caschu0; 03-18-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Anybody know a shop that does Galil barrel installation/headspacing?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by caschu0
    Anybody know a shop that does Galil barrel installation/headspacing?
    Ohio Rapid Fire builds them... you could check out what they'd want.
    ...I'm not tense! Just terribly, terribly alert.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks. Has anybody ever dealt with Azexarms? They assemble Galils for $420 which includes finishing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Get a can of Adrenaline Rush or Red Dog, drink it...Then cut a shim out of the can.
    I've done it successfully with FAL's, the metal is so thin and compressable it shouldn't interfere with headspace enough to worry with.
    I have over 5000 rds. through an FAL I did that way and zero problems and thats a 7.62x51 round.
    Try it, if it doesn't work and headspace ,you are out $2.
    Bassett
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bassettjm
    Get a can of Adrenaline Rush or Red Dog, drink it...Then cut a shim out of the can.
    I've done it successfully with FAL's, the metal is so thin and compressable it shouldn't interfere with headspace enough to worry with.
    I have over 5000 rds. through an FAL I did that way and zero problems and thats a 7.62x51 round.
    Try it, if it doesn't work and headspace ,you are out $2.
    Bassett
    What a great idea! If you can torque it down and it "crushes" to the right location, you'd be all set!

I pulled the barrel from a cut receiver section for another member... the threads had a white thread sealant on them. It may also be worth it to put some loctite on the threads, and that would further secure the barrel to keep it from wandering.

My budget is really close to letting me buy a receiver. I am going to try to complete mine this summer.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for all the advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

galil build tutorial

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.