OWS 1888 Commission
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OWS 1888 Commission

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default OWS 1888 Commission

Anyone take a chance and get some of these cheap Gew 88's? I ordered a 5-pack that should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping to get at least one shooter out of the bunch after alot of work and a bolt. Any info would be great, lets get a thread going here, I know some of you are working on these.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I got one last year, there real beat up.
    Mine was missing a rear site, I've been looking for one.
    If you have got a spare I would like to buy it from you.
    It looks like they are silver soldered on the barrel sleeve
    I got a bolt with mine, it was missing the bolt head.
    So I'm looking for that too.
    I also have a slug stuck halfway down the barrel, I guess I'll drill that out.
    Do you know any other way to get it out?

Here's a link to a On-Line Viewable Schematic it could be helpful.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...OMMISSION%2088

I'm not going to make a shooter out of it I just wanted a complete rifle.

Good Luck! I hope your's is better than mine.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Don't try to drill out the stuck slug as you will ruin the barrel. Dump breakfree down muzzle end of the barrel then let it sit. After it sits for a couple of days, take a brass rod and pound out from the chamber end.

-Yarro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks, I was wondering if I should drill it or not.
    What dia. rod should I use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

yea, i knew they were in HORRIBLE condition but I've heard they can clean up well with some TLC. mine will not have buttplates as they will most likely all have broken stocks, unless a miracle occurs. I'm thinking of making one into a pistol. I know making a rifle into a pistol isn't okay, but is the law different with antiques? I think that is probably a gray area that no one knows.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pjm204
    Any info would be great, lets get a thread going here, I know some of you are working on these.
    You should sign-up over at www.homegunsmith.com as there is a 5-page, year-old thread in the "Your Projects" forum. Unfortunately, most of it deals with the unavailability of bolt faces.

There is other good info in it however.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

thanks, i'll check that out,, ive been a member there for awhile. I got my five and I'd say I have two or three that might be shootable. one has zero rifling left, and one has the end of the barrel broken off. None had a useable stock but I think I can make something. I think I am going to shorten one to carbine length. All but one had the rear sights, and one even had the slider.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pjm204
    thanks, i'll check that out,, ive been a member there for awhile. I got my five and I'd say I have two or three that might be shootable. one has zero rifling left, and one has the end of the barrel broken off. None had a useable stock but I think I can make something. I think I am going to shorten one to carbine length. All but one had the rear sights, and one even had the slider.
    There was another great thread on AR15.com in the Curios & Relics forum (within Arms & Tactics). Unfortunately you can only search back 30 days without membership and it no longer shows up. You might try posting in there as the thread was on a complete rebuild and it was picture intensive.

I was planning on buying a few of these but decided I was just too late to the party. Numrich had bolt faces & even complete bolts but they went fast once the $19.95 deals were available. I spoke with one of the companies selling these and they were honest about their condition referring to them as "garden stakes". I decided to pass.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't know, I just got mine two days ago and I don't think they are garden stakes. They are definitely a project, but if all you had to do is throw a bolt in and shoot, it wouldn't be a challenge. Of my five that I got, I might be able to get 2 or 3 shooters. One bore was smooth as glass inside, zero rifling, I think it'd be funny to shoot it though.

Feedback Score

You must have lucked out with some above-average specimins. You know that I will buy almost anything if it's cheap enough, but after seeing these in person, I wanted nothing to do with them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.