my vz side plate project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my vz side plate project

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Default my vz side plate project

well I couldn't resist, I bought some 4140 and have milled the internals on a set of side plates and am working on cutting the front stub to match. There is a heck of a lot of machining on these guys. After looking at a hybrid I knew I could do better, and these go all the way to the rear of the handguard. I will cut the exterior profile after the pieces are welded in. I'll post pics tom of the progress, the batteries in the camera crapped out before I could upload today...I really think the new single stack receivers are the way to go.
    Steel $40 (2 sets) for sides
    steel for mag hold open area and rear $5
    to resharpen carbide end mills $25
    hours and hours away from home.. priceless
    (just kidding honey)
    poor quality pic of milled cut on front stub

lower view of plate in approx position to weld. You can see how much I still have to mill from the outside to get it down to the correct contours.

top view of same. The locking lug will be cut after this plate is welded in.

view of bolt and carrier fit (the bolt is a little crooked in the photo

Mag well view with bolt and carrier

rear lower pic

It's a work in progress and who knows how it will turn out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Great pics, now you got me wanting to do a side plate gun.
    Where did you find the kit & the 4130 plate?
    I see a rivet hole in the 2nd pic, is this a rivet build or do you need to weld it?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

The kits are all over but try centerfire. ($59) The 4140 plates are from khal steel (local specialty steel house) and I milled them to plans from GPdave (modified to fit my kit exactly)
    The hole is the roll pin hole to hold the lower rear of the front handguard in place. These are weld guns and are made difficult by the locking system that most kits have cut off in the demill.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

At Centerfire if you buy 2 kits they are $99, so a better deal to get two.

VZ58, keep the pic's coming! Thanks!!!!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Then when you pay you $99, the virginia boys will decide that CFS kits are not demilled properly and recall them, and CFS will give all your info to them.
    NO THANKS.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks nice! I don't see in the pics, but did you mill the semi-auto "block" into the right side so that the auto-sear can not be installed?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

hcpookie, the sear block,magazine latch block and rear stock piece will be welded in as I go along. (after the 1st side plate is welded to the front stub.) Also the locking lug will be cut soon too. I had a plan and am still kinda following it, but as unexpected things come up I am just "feeling"my way along...

Feedback Score

So hows it coming along? I'm looking at buying one of the kits from CF, just looking at how difficult the sides are to mill...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58
    hcpookie, the sear block,magazine latch block and rear stock piece will be welded in as I go along. (after the 1st side plate is welded to the front stub.) Also the locking lug will be cut soon too. I had a plan and am still kinda following it, but as unexpected things come up I am just "feeling"my way along...
    Be sure to put enough material in-between the rear of the magazine well and the front of the space for the trigger so nothing can be put there. You really should make a block big enough to take up the entire area. It should be just under 2" front-to-back. If your plates are thick enough, a 1" square bar would do the trick.

rbthntr64 do you think they would do that, since they have PBB's kit in review for approval? Wouldn't they say "hey wait a minute" at that point?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Knight, I had to stop on the VZ for a while. My power feed on the mill went down and my welder needed a selenoid. (it all happens at once doesn't it) Once I got held up I got onto other projects. (gas operated ak in .45 win mag for brush hunting) I hope to return to it in the next few weeks, if my wife and real job let me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.